Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Know Thy Enemy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default Know Thy Enemy

Here is a great article which really dives into the minds of criminals that carry, and use, firearms on LEO's. I found it to be a truly interesting read and I hope you will too!

Beg pardon if it has been posted here before...

News from The Force Science Research Center

Quote:
Familiarity:
Several of the offenders began regularly to carry weapons when they were 9 to 12 years old, although the average age was 17 when they first started packing "most of the time." Gang members especially started young.

Nearly 40% of the offenders had some type of formal firearms training, primarily from the military. More than 80% "regularly practiced with handguns, averaging 23 practice sessions a year," the study reports, usually in informal settings like trash dumps, rural woods, back yards and "street corners in known drug-trafficking areas."

One spoke of being motivated to improve his gun skills by his belief that officers "go to the range two, three times a week [and] practice arms so they can hit anything."

In reality, victim officers in the study averaged just 14 hours of sidearm training and 2.5 qualifications per year. Only 6 of the 50 officers reported practicing regularly with handguns apart from what their department required, and that was mostly in competitive shooting. Overall, the offenders practiced more often than the officers they assaulted, and this "may have helped increase [their] marksmanship skills," the study says.

The offender quoted above about his practice motivation, for example, fired 12 rounds at an officer, striking him 3 times. The officer fired 7 rounds, all misses.

More than 40% of the offenders had been involved in actual shooting confrontations before they feloniously assaulted an officer. Ten of these "street combat veterans," all from "inner-city, drug-trafficking environments," had taken part in 5 or more "criminal firefight experiences" in their lifetime.

One reported that he was 14 when he was first shot on the street, "about 18 before a cop shot me." Another said getting shot was a pivotal experience "because I made up my mind no one was gonna shoot me again."

Again in contrast, only 8 of the 50 LEO victims had participated in a prior shooting; 1 had been involved in 2 previously, another in 3. Seven of the 8 had killed offenders.
News from The Force Science Research Center

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 09-23-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow! That was an eye-opening read. Should be required reading for all LEOs.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #3

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
Wow! That was an eye-opening read. Should be required reading for all LEOs.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
I think so too. Lets you know what your up against.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

Thats what got my attention. You always hear most of the things mentioned in the article, but I have never seen anyone attempt to actually quantify the points.

The difference in practice/training really opened my eyes!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1777

This article has me wondering :"Then why all the broo-hah about

'assault rifles' ?"

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
This article has me wondering :"Then why all the broo-hah about

'assault rifles' ?"
Because the easiest way to disarm a nation is to start with the 'big bad wolf', even if they have to make it up, and go from there.
Our government tends to approach liberty stomping with the eat an elephant policy. They usually do it a bit at a time, so that the drones in the nation never realize that they lost their rights.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Most of the information in this article about the police I believe more than the information about the criminals. The police information is more verifiable from official police records (on the other hand I'm not sure the researching did this). The information from the criminal is primarily based on what a criminal is saying!

From my experience, the level of police training is pretty close to the article. However the level of training the criminal has I think is over stated.

Regardless, I think the article makes a point well worth the read.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
Most of the information in this article about the police I believe more than the information about the criminals. The police information is more verifiable from official police records (on the other hand I'm not sure the researching did this). The information from the criminal is primarily based on what a criminal is saying!

From my experience, the level of police training is pretty close to the article. However the level of training the criminal has I think is over stated.

Regardless, I think the article makes a point well worth the read.
Valid points one and all.

I will say this though. We don't have any real way of learning more about the criminal element of the equation other than to simply ask. It makes us more or less reliant on what they are willing to tell us.

I have known many less than favorable characters when I was younger and a lot of what is said in the article seems to be in line with, or perhaps slightly overstated, from what I have known. On the other hand, even when I was younger, I never knew anyone that was bold enough to shoot at the LEO's...

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #9

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1777

Two things which has stayed with me for years.:

1)-It's been statistically proven that civilian gun owners

are generally more accurate than LEOs,

2)-In repeated interviews with criminals, they openly

admit they are more afraid of CCWs (us) than LEOs. We

don't follow police procedure, and we can show up anywhere

with pop one into them, with no Miranda, warning, or anything.

And the way the state laws are set up now, they feel we could

very possibly never even be charged.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Two things which has stayed with me for years.:

1)-It's been statistically proven that civilian gun owners

are generally more accurate than LEOs,

2)-In repeated interviews with criminals, they openly

admit they are more afraid of CCWs (us) than LEOs. We

don't follow police procedure, and we can show up anywhere

with pop one into them, with no Miranda, warning, or anything.

And the way the state laws are set up now, they feel we could

very possibly never even be charged.
quoted as FACT!

What i have never understood is why civies are more proficient than LEOs... imean c'mon. If i had ranges i could shoot for free, got paid to shoot, had paid for ammo etc. I would be pure hell on wheels, a crack shot extrodinare!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!