Kids in the House

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Kids in the House

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Kids in the House

For the last 4 or 5 years (give or take) I've made it my mission to get as many people as I can to become firearm owners. I've convinced quite a few, converted a few others (once anti-gun, now proud gun) and trained them all to be proficient w/ the basics.

Now, I come up to a training challenge I haven't had to deal with before, and I want to make sure I'm giving this guy the best possible advice I can possibly give.

Obviously, he's smart enough to know not to put 100% trust in any one mans idea, but I want to give him information and sources to get him started, and knowing the kind of guy he is, he will take it from there and expand his horizons.

Problem is: The internet. It's full of bull ****. Some people are too overly strict w/ gun storage, others aren't cautious enough...and since I don't have kids, it's never been a topic I have researched.

I know several of you have, so i'm hoping you can give me some resources that I can pass on to him that are trusted by you, in your homes, with your children.

He does not currently own a firearm, but he is convinced he needs one for home protection. At first I was swaying him to get a 12 gauge, since it's for Home Protection, but the more I got to know him, then found out he has 3 kids, I started thinking perhaps its best to talk him into a handgun for his first firearm that will be used for home protection.

Main reason being it's going to be easier to store a handgun in a small device (maybe a bed-side finger print vault) than it will be to store a shotgun in a vault in the other room that's locked away by a key you may or may not have on you in the other room when someone tries breaking into the house.

But, as I said, I'm only thinking about that, I haven't actually brought it up yet, because I want to make sure I'm considering all angles to give him the best information possible.

Anyways, I've rambled on enough now, and hope you all have some literature/videos/etc that I could compile for him to review.

Thanks FTF!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1569 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Get a safe, even a locker will work. You can't just go to the hardware store and get a key made if it is a quality product. You can lock the gun/s up when not using it. Get a pocket pistol and keep it in your pocket. If one is cautious the kids shouldn't even know you own a pistol.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

Thanks John,

I think the initial concern is that keeping the shotgun in a locker will make it that much more difficult to get to in the event you ever actually need to use it.

It's sort of 'between a rock and a hard place' since you can't have it in a top dresser drawer, but you can't have it locked away 5 minutes from use either.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Get a safe, even a locker will work. You can't just go to the hardware store and get a key made if it is a quality product. You can lock the gun/s up when not using it. Get a pocket pistol and keep it in your pocket. If one is cautious the kids shouldn't even know you own a pistol.
I agree here. I have a granddaughter that visits my home frequently. My guns are either locked up or on me. BUT........I have also taught her that if she ever sees a gun not to touch it but to tell an adult. I told her to never point a gun at anyone or anything. I show her when I pick up a gun I check to see if it's empty and always keep it pointed in a safe direction. I let her help me clean them.

I think keeping them locked or in your direct control AND education is the best.
phideaux Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Handgun, shotgun, it is six to a half dozen. Both is probably the best answer (no, not one of those .410 revolvers). There are quick access long gun cabinets. Sure, they are a little more difficult to locate, especially if you want it out of sight, but, is in the closet really that much different than under the bed. It is hard to give great advice if you don't know the details, like the layout of the house, etc. There is just so much to consider.

How about a PS90 -- now that is a home defense firearm.

With 4 children, we had to take into consideration safe storage and quick access. There are two quick access handguns in the house, in push button cases, one in our bedroom, the other in a common room, which is where my wife and kids spend most of their time, we have long considered keeping one in the kitchen as well, but haven't gotten around to it. All of the long guns and a few other handguns are kept in the bedroom closet safe, unloaded.

I think, most importantly is that the children know where the guns are, they know they aren't supposed to touch them without one of us present. They've all handled every firearm we own, they know where the safetys are, how to tell if they are loaded or not, etc. They know not to touch the trigger, and so on. This knowledge is reinforced from time to time. Only our 11 year old has actually fired any of the guns, in fact, he's shot each of them at least once. But I have exposed all of the children to the firearms, mainly, so they aren't so curious. They know what is in the lock boxes, they know what is in the big safe, they've held them, and they've all been to the range to at least watch.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I agree here. I have a granddaughter that visits my home frequently. My guns are either locked up or on me. BUT........I have also taught her that if she ever sees a gun not to touch it but to tell an adult. I told her to never point a gun at anyone or anything. I show her when I pick up a gun I check to see if it's empty and always keep it pointed in a safe direction. I let her help me clean them.

I think keeping them locked or in your direct control AND education is the best.
So, for you, lets say she stays the night - do you keep your "go to" gun locked up? If so, do you have it right near your bed?

What he's concerned about is weighing the two different options of ease of access in the event of an emergency and making sure kids can't get into it.

That's why I was leaning towards a handgun to keep in a bed-side fingerprint vault...to me, seemed like best of both worlds?
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
So, for you, lets say she stays the night - do you keep your "go to" gun locked up? If so, do you have it right near your bed?

What he's concerned about is weighing the two different options of ease of access in the event of an emergency and making sure kids can't get into it.

That's why I was leaning towards a handgun to keep in a bed-side fingerprint vault...to me, seemed like best of both worlds?
my gun safe is on the floor right next to my bed. It has quick access.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Educating the kids is THE ultimate safety. To that end, I recommend Masad Ayoob's quintessential book, Gun-Proof Your Children. This is very short and information-packed and well worth the read.

Until they are educated, I have loved the SpeedVault SV500. Mount it in a cabinet, under a desk, on the side of a nightstand or wherever and you are 1/4-second from a loaded handgun. The Simplex lock means that it is harder for someone to see combination of keys and repeat it, much like kids are apt to do. This is the fastest safe I have ever witnessed.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 511 Times on 313 Posts

Hey he could get a biometric safe that is big enough for an AR or a shotgun.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm with TekGreg. No matter what you do, don't hide the guns from the kids or make it a big mystery.

When I decided to get back into firearms last year I brought both kids into the room and showed them my new handgun. We went over basic safety, what to do if you came across a gun, not to talk about the fact we had a gun in the house to their friends, etc. Basically, the intent was to take all the mystery out of it. I have been teaching my oldest to shoot and he has to help clean them as well, which also takes some of the allure out of it as well.

I'll probably teach my youngest next year, but he wants to help clean them and get familiar with them, so I let them. I've also told them each how much I appreciate that we've never had any problems. It helps that they were 13 and 10 at the time, not real young. However, giving them a chance to be responsible and seeing it in action has done a lot to mitigate some of my safety concerns.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain