Kids and Guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Kids and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Consiider improving your perimeter security so that you have more time. Better doors, better lighting, fewer hiding places, etc. might help give you the time you need.
I use three barking dogs as my security to give me time to open my Gun Vault and reach for my loaded gun. Though I live in a relatively safe and cozy neighborhood where we all know each other.........and have for over 25 years.

Also I live in an older neighborhood and there are some nice, new, ritzy neighborhoods in town. If I were going to rob a house, it wouldn't be in my neighborhood.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-10-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My biggest worry was the kids friends. Mine were trained very early on that certain places were off limits. They started handling training at 5 and before that it was no touch. I showed them several times what a gun can do on an orange or melon. They understand more than you think. There were some "child proof" drawer locks available but it has been a very long time. You can put a hasp on a high drawer and a clip or lock if you dont have a safe. It always amazed me what kids are capable of mechanically. If my daughter had gotten hold of a gun, she probably would have taken it apart and had everything neatly laid out. And that was at 2. My son probably would have shot it at that age.
My son and daughter were the same as yours, amazing how different the two are. Anyways my guns are always locked up or on me.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #23

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a very active 4 1/2 year old Grand daughter and a 14 month old grand son.

It is MY responsibility to protect them from any and all hazards - - - that includes my firearms.

I normally have a Bodyguard 380 that I carry in a "concealed comfort" holster ( see the classifieds on this forum ) but I also talked a LGS into selling me 4 Winchester Evaults for $50.00 @ and they are located thru out the house and business if I need more fire power.

The link below will show - - - I love them and you can get them at a discount now - - - - the new thing is “finger print” activated so the combination ones are selling cheap. With very little practice you can open in seconds in complete darkness!

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Winchester-eVault-eV600-Electronic-Safe/2330702/product.html

These are large enough to hold a 1911 A1 and flashlight - - - a light comes on inside the safe for 5 seconds when opened.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebitt300 View Post
Hmm, is it some vast liberal media bias, or is it that having a loaded gun in the house is a bigger danger to your child than the remote possibility of a burglar
Is it a drawbridge?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #25

Liked 1047 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Yea I was bringing in the long guns on sunday and sat the sks down , loaded but safety on and bolt locked open , before I could finish getting over the baby gate Evan was over there trying to push the trigger .
I had a customer tell me that he had his 7 mag in the back seat on his f350 , muzzle down , loaded but not hot , His 3yo got out of the kid seat and racked a round and put one threw the center console hitting a box of .44 , the wiring harness before going threw the transmission . W O W !

And on sunday I forgot my pt92 on the wifes trunk ...... Found it in the cul-de-sac next morning after a few school buses had ran over it . no damage to the frame or metal but the grips have some scars . Tuff ass gun , take that glock !

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 504 Times on 310 Posts

I have no problem with a loaded gun in the house I keep a couple loaded at all times. Do I let my kids touch them no . And I have three children. But to keep a gun in every room is a little to much. Do you live in that bad of an area that you fear for your life when your home ? if so move to a safer area.
I don't have a safe but I keep the closet that all my gear is in locked so they can't get in.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #27

Liked 1047 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 540

No , i live out in the sticks surrounded by old foggies but damn it sucks when you need a gun and cant find one or dont have it near by . Never know when that squirrel is going to show up
And yes I am redneck enough to sit on the throne with the 22 and shoot while dropping the kids off in the pool '' LIKE A BOSS '' Ahh the good ol days of being single

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #28

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
No , i live out in the sticks surrounded by old foggies but damn it sucks when you need a gun and cant find one or dont have it near by . Never know when that squirrel is going to show up
And yes I am redneck enough to sit on the throne with the 22 and shoot while dropping the kids off in the pool '' LIKE A BOSS '' Ahh the good ol days of being single
Ahh the good ol days,,,,,,, I vaguely remember those.