Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Kids and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 948 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Default Kids and Guns

Ok Im sure some of you are or have been in this situation . Im the kind of person who likes to have gun in almost every room of the house . But my kids are almost 2 now and that is no longer an option . Now my house if fairly open floor , so not much hiding or no time to run for a gun when some one bust in the doors. I would like to keep one back in the head board again but the kids are always up there playing and my son goes crazy when he see's one , also another problem.
I have a safe but getting to it in time is a major problem , I could put locks on the guns but getting them unlocked in time is also a problem . Putting them up higher is a viable option but my son can climb like a monkey . They have not figured out how to open the center console of the sofa yet but when they do I dont want them to find a loaded beretta waiting for them , locked or other wise.
I think my biggest issue is , no matter what I do unless I have one in my hand , I wont have time to get to it . Once you open the front door , your in the middle of the flippin house , and the only gun that stays out is in the kitchen on top the fridge ..... By the kitchen door .
If someone were to break in , they could be in any bedroom in less than 2-3 seconds .

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts

I would say carrying full time sounds like a good option. No risk of kids finding anything and your protection is always with you

Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 4028 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

As you probably know, I am in the process of looking for a small gun I can carry around the house and property. I live in Illinois so I can't carry out on the streets (yet). I think your best bet would be to carry on your person around the house. At night I have a small safe next to my bed that I can access within seconds. I recommend that to you, too. I don't have any small children but I do have a very beloved granddaughter that comes to my house often. My guns are always either locked in the safe or with me. When I find a small carry firearm, I will carry it on me. I would never leave a loaded gun unattended in my house. But that's just me and I know many others have differing opinions.

So, on your person when you are awake. Just an arm length away, locked, when you are sleeping. I know there are those who say you won't have time to unlock your safe in a crisis but I believe my dogs will give me enough notice that something isn't right to open my safe and grab my gun. With three dogs in the house I don't expect to wake up with a BG standing over my bed with no notice.

These are my guns, I am responsible for them. It is my job to keep them from being messed with by children or adults and it is my job to be sure they are not stolen. The way I do that is to carry it with me or to keep them in a safe. That's the way I look at it.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 4028 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

It is much better, I think, to be overly cautious than to regret a terrible tragedy and spend the rest of your life thinking, "If I had only......".

Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
It is much better, I think, to be overly cautious than to regret a terrible tragedy and spend the rest of your life thinking, "If I had only......".
Wise words

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #6

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Get this for the night stand, or under the bed
http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/GunVault-GV1000-Mini-Standard-451p42618.htm

and carry on your person the rest of the time.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I don't have children but I have a lot of nieces and nephews that do come over to visit. Normally I have my 9mm within reach. When there are children in the house or anyone older that isn't family I carry it on me instead. I have other guns, but I don't have a safe. They get locked in a room the children can't get into.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say carry on you and your wife as well. With me having a youngster 21 months as of today, I believe in carry it, or locked it up. with me I haven't bought a hand gun yet, but I don't keep my long gun aut my house because I can't really lock it up. besides I live in an apartment building, the last thing I want is to freak out my neighbors.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

Liked 948 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 514

A james bond wall holder would be nice , you know just punch the wall in said secret spot and said hand gun pops out .... My son already cant keep his hands off the 37mm , he likes it more than me ! I can see already my childhood is going to bite me in the ass and my dad is going to be there the whole time laughing

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Once you feel the time is right educate them. since they are untested now , get a toy gun, but reach then the rules like it's real. Don't point at people finger off the trier until ready to shoot ect.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp