Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Just a couple of thoughts on Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
What if like in my case your wife cant stand the sight of firearms. You are on your own. I suppose she can ring the police.
Tell her ohh well honey!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
Just a stranger in your house at any hour of the day poses a threat.
There will be no words said in my house. If your in there I presume you as trying to hurt or worse kill my family and myself.
The police tell people to get down. A man or woman protecting their family or their self is not required to do so. BAM! wrong house, new carpet.....
QFT. I fully agree with this, but sadly, I live in a non castle doctrine state. The wife and I are already planning our relocation. My personal feeling on the subject is if you are dumb enough to enter my house uninvited, in the middle of the night, and come in past the german sheppard\ chow mix, the lab, and the great dane, you will get what you have coming at that point.

My wife and step daughter both know how to use every gun we own. Both of them are more than capable of calling 911, and providing cover while the dogs and I take care of the problem. We have had a standing plan for years, the two of them get in our bed room and let the dogs drive them to us. they surrender and wait for the police, we call of the dogs. They resist, we don't call them off until after they are neutralized. As an added bonus, blood removal would mean that I could put in that new hardwood flooring I've wanted for years. Seems like a win win to me.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

If you plan to defend yourself, you must also prepare a daily security plan to avoid huge problems in the future.

Key Control: EVERYONE with a key, living there or not, needs to know you are armed and will shoot. No "surprise parties," no practical jokes, absolutely nothing can happen you don't know about. Have you changed all your locks since moving in? The previous owner's friends and family may still have old keys. I even caught my teen daughter giving out keys to her friends. If you are not 100% sure, change them now.

Security Check. BOTH you and your spouse check all doors and windows to assure they are closed and locked. It would be a tragedy to shoot a neighbor that mis-identified your house for his and wandered in an unlocked door.

Kids need to know and be drilled that they need to move QUIETLY and IMMEDIATELY to the safe room with their cell phone and get on the ground, should they have one. No arguing, no crying, no stalling. They must actually be drilled on this and simulate gunfire outside the door (pop paper bag or blanks) to make sure they remain quiet, otherwise they are a danger to the family.

Light Check. Lights outside should be set up with a motion detector and be insanely bright to ruin the BG's night vision. Lights inside must be completely extinguished at night. You know your house, the BG doesn't, causing him to fall, stumble and crash into furniture, injuring him and exposing position.

Clean house and hide weapons. You don't need to be dodging toys on the floor while clearing your home in the dark. Clean the floor, and make sure weapons are hidden from plain view, even kitchen knives. It adds insult to injury if you are attacked with your own bread knife.

Practice at Night. Not only with your weapon, but also yourself and your flashlight. Use your night vision to "see" without the flashlight and use the light to blind the BG. Know how many steps to common areas so you don't have to "look" to navigate, i.e., you should know it's 12 sidesteps to the end of the hall, 19 steps to the front door, etc. the only thing our eyes should be doing in a defensive situation is looking for the BG.

Train Spouse. One person mans the cell phone and remains stationary, usually in safe room. One person clears house, if you choose to do so. Both should know emergency code for situations, such as "Rumplestiltskin" for all clear or that one will call the other by their middle name if they are taken hostage. Therefore, if someone tries to enter the safe room with "All clear, Hon!" the safe room spouse tells the 911 operator their spouse is dead or disabled and they are being broken in on.

There are many more, but you get the idea. Think of how a criminal might take advantage of you and then prepare to handle it fast and simple in a real life emergency. Also, clearing the house is OPTIONAL - if you have training and feel you can handle it, make a judgement call. However, there is nothing cowardly about letting the police handle it!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #24

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Brings to mind on day I was home alone taking a nap on the couch. My son came in the front door, and before the storm door had even closed. I was on my feet in his face, when I saw it was him I turned and went back and set on the couch. He was still froze at the door his eyes as big as saucers. He said he could not believe I could move that fast and asked me what was I going to do. I told him that had I not recognized him he would have had a crushed larynx. Any any situation it's ok to be prepared but make damn sure you identify the threat before you take any action.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #25

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol
Brings to mind on day I was home alone taking a nap on the couch. My son came in the front door, and before the storm door had even closed. I was on my feet in his face, when I saw it was him I turned and went back and set on the couch. He was still froze at the door his eyes as big as saucers. He said he could not believe I could move that fast and asked me what was I going to do. I told him that had I not recognized him he would have had a crushed larynx. Any any situation it's ok to be prepared but make damn sure you identify the threat before you take any action.
When I was still living at home, that happened often. Hearing a 12 gauge rack home in the dark, sure is a scary sound.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #26

ive always wanted to have some thermal vision..see were the intruder is from anywere in your house...he's got no chance XD

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex19ccc View Post
ive always wanted to have some thermal vision..see were the intruder is from anywere in your house...he's got no chance XD
Zombies are room temperature there Predator-vision man. Maybe some smellivision would be a good backup plan.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #28
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
When I was still living at home, that happened often. Hearing a 12 gauge rack home in the dark, sure is a scary sound.
I've had that happen to me once or twice. Last time was when I returned home after my trip to CA in the spring. Next time I'll remember to call the wife before I let myself in the house at 2:30 am. Proud of her though, she did it right. Sent the shell home then put the light on me, made the I.D., then stood down. Still, it scares the hell out of you when you hear that sound.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?