Just a couple of thoughts on Home Defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Just a couple of thoughts on Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Default Just a couple of thoughts on Home Defense

Your partner in life should be trained to work with you in home defense.

Identify who does what and practice. Having two different people call 911 for the same incident from the same residence can confuse.

Where are the kids (and/or pets)?

Are you or your spouse practiced on all firearms and devices used in Home Defense? We know you can handle the shotgun, but what about the wife should the need arise?

This is by no means complete. Just a couple of thoughts thrown out.

Any Additions?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Good thoughts. Perhaps a weekly or monthly test at grabbing kids n phone flashlights and such

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We have a plan. It may have it's flaws & we don't practice really. Wife stays in the bedroom with the hand gun calling 911. I investigate with the Mossy.

Kids know if anything ever happens to get down & lay on the floor. I have told them I will never shoot at the floor so get down & stay down until Mom, the police or myself tell them otherwise.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
We have a plan. It may have it's flaws & we don't practice really. Wife stays in the bedroom with the hand gun calling 911. I investigate with the Mossy.

Kids know if anything ever happens to get down & lay on the floor. I have told them I will never shoot at the floor so get down & stay down until Mom, the police or myself tell them otherwise.

sounds like my family plan my fiance and her .38 call 911 while me and mr 500 go hunting the kids both hide under my daughters bed so i know exactly what corner they are in as to not have a stray hit one of my children ill even make sure the BG is facing away from them if for some reason the first shot doesnt disable him/her completely

Philip D. Mincey
NRA Cert. Pistol instructor

Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7809 Times on 4687 Posts
Likes Given: 9822

Is "going hunting" the right thing to do? I was under the impression you should wait and see what walks past your bedroom door. At least that is my plan.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Is "going hunting" the right thing to do? I was under the impression you should wait and see what walks past your bedroom door. At least that is my plan.
Sillinoise....
In MOST of the free states if they are in your house you can open fire on a home invader regardless of if you have to track them down to the kitchen where the home invaders may be cooking breakfast and drinking your beer. In your state, you may just have to call the cops and hope like hell they're still there when the cops arrive an hour and a half later. After all, you may get charged with "disturbing a donut call" if they aren't.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you in my house uninvited the last thing im going to do is wait till you get close enough to harm my family...... Im going to find ur a** and let you know either lay down on the ground till police arrive or get shot... Ur choice.... Give the BG an opportunity to harm you or your family if you want

Philip D. Mincey
NRA Cert. Pistol instructor

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

In my state we can shoot first ask questions later. All I have to say is I feared for my life.
To the op question I grab the flashlight and 45 and the wife calls 911! And there is a 12 g in the corner.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
That is probably the safe way to go. Anyone comes in the doorway, u got the drop on him. HOWEVER I have 3 small kids and I will be DAMNED if I baracade up in the bedroom while some ******* is under my roof with my kids!
I will be coming for his hind parts with the S&W. The old Lady will be in the bedroom calling the cops with the carbine. None of the kids are taller than 4 foot. So have to make sure I keep my pistol low (at the chest) and aim with a slight upward angle if possible. My plan.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
WOC, i can see their point and would do the same if in their type of situation. intruder in my home, children in another part of the house, yes it would most definately hunting. if i had children, and their lives were in danger from some intruder being in my home, i would do whatever i felt was appropriate for the situation. around my house, we play house rules. my house, my rules, and if the BG doesn't like them, oh well. i also get to change the rules if i see fit to do so.