Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   A jeff cooper retrospective (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/jeff-cooper-retrospective-26961/)

canebrake 05-09-2010 01:22 AM

A jeff cooper retrospective

We read a notice from Canada to the effect that “The purpose of anti-gun legislation is to establish criminal supremacy over the citizen by awarding the goblins the status of being the sole armed caste of the population.” The publisher has gone on to state that the time has come to ask ourselves what is behind all this.

Well, we know what motivates the hoplophobe. He simply envies the man who can cope where he, the hoplophobe, cannot. A skilled, armed man lives on a plane of security and contentment different from that of others. This is not egalitarian! The man who cannot cut it, envies, fears and sometimes hates the man who can. This is all very clear—it is just a pity that so many people choose to hide their perfidious motivation behind what they claim to be “crime control.”

Anyone who studies the matter will reach the conclusion that good marksmanship, per se, is not the key to successful gunfighting. The marksmanship problem posed in a streetfight is ordinarily pretty elementary. What is necessary, however, is the absolute assurance on the part of the shooter that he can hit what he is shooting at—absolutely without fail. Being a good shot tends to build up this confidence in the individual.

Additionally, the good shot knows what is necessary on his part to obtain hits, and when the red flag flies, the concentration which he knows is necessary pushes all extraneous thinking out of his mind. He cannot let side issues such as fitness reports, political rectitude, or legal liability enter his mind. Such considerations may be heeded before the decision to make the shot is taken, and reconsidered after the ball is over; but at the time, the imperative front sight, surprise break must prevail.

Thus we have the paradox that while you almost never need to be a good shot to win a gunfight, the fact that you are a good shot may be what is necessary for you to hold the right thoughts—to the exclusion of all others—and save your life. This may come as a shock to a good many marksmanship instructors, but I have studied the matter at length and in depth, and I am satisfied with my conclusions…

CA357 05-09-2010 01:28 AM

I am a huge Col. Cooper fan. May he rest in peace.

GeauxTigersGuy 05-09-2010 03:16 AM

Yet another timeless timeless quote from Col. Cooper. And another point as usual for canebrake for the share!

shadecorp 05-11-2010 04:52 PM

Col. COOPER

To The Col.

Rest in Peace.

Have several of his books.

Read most of his writings in the magazine.

Need More AMERICANS like him.

A LOT MORE.

addniim 05-18-2010 12:03 AM

Thank for post