Is James Yeager Correct, 9mm or .45 acp Only Good Choices For Defense Ammo? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Is James Yeager Correct, 9mm or .45 acp Only Good Choices For Defense Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1871 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I have been around 2 barroom shootings. Both times the aggressor was shot. Neither one wanted to fight any more. This was prior to the advent of plastic guns. So both were probably shot with a 25/32 cal. Both shooters managed to disappear into the crowd. Both of the men that were shot lived to tell about it. Both recovered to live a full life.

Unless the bad guy is on drugs a single shot in the belly with anything will change their mind. With the advent of plastic guns no one carries a 25 anymore. Most people at least have a 380. Even if the attacker is on drugs a couple shots will convince him that finding a doctor is more important than revenge.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #82
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2052 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

I have one of each. But I would think that a 12 gauge slug would be pretty effective if you aren't worried about overpenetration.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #83

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
I have one of each. But I would think that a 12 gauge slug would be pretty effective if you aren't worried about overpenetration.
Like a Super Shorty!
The price tag is too high for me.
I think it may be cheaper to build one, even after buyin a shotgun and registering it as an SBS.
Maybe a double barrel SBS would be cheaper.
image-3020138786.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Calling for data somehow does what?
I'm sorry, is dealing in actual data somehow a problem for you? It was a simple question.
Does the average LAC now get into long drawn out shootouts these days?
If so, when did this change come about?
How many rounds must one expect to need in this brave new world?
I don't know, Perhaps actual info might help me re-evaluate my situation and how I arm myself. For instance, does my 5 shot .38 w/ a reload make me helpless against the criminal hordes or do I need a plastic wonder nine with at least 3 reloads to get my paper off the porch?

Again, I'm not talking about people who chase bad guys, I'm talking about the normal person going about their normal lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
How about listening to the streets. 100,000 gang members on one US city alone.
What city is the world leader for kidnapping? Mexico City.
Phoenix is still reportedly #2, but #1 in the US. But some of the numbers have been called into question, depending on what you read.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57470618/chicago-police-sergeant-tribal-warfare-on-the-streets
Those places, while quite lovely, are not really relevant the vast majority of people who's lives are lived elsewhere.

You made the assertion, not me. I simply asked that you back it with something resembling useful information. Sorry for that.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #85
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have been around 2 barroom shootings. Both times the aggressor was shot. Neither one wanted to fight any more. This was prior to the advent of plastic guns. So both were probably shot with a 25/32 cal. Both shooters managed to disappear into the crowd. Both of the men that were shot lived to tell about it. Both recovered to live a full life.

Unless the bad guy is on drugs a single shot in the belly with anything will change their mind. With the advent of plastic guns no one carries a 25 anymore. Most people at least have a 380. Even if the attacker is on drugs a couple shots will convince him that finding a doctor is more important than revenge.
in the situation where you have to use a firearm in SD, what stops a BG is either shutting down the central nervous system or massive blood loss. a gutshot BG on drugs can be a potentially dangerous person. depending the drugs in his system, he may not even feel the pain or even have a clue as to how badly he's hurt. what about massive amounts of adrenaline in their system? huge amounts of adrenaline can act just like painkillers. so a couple of shots may or may not kill them, but at in what time frame? an hour later? twenty minutes later? even five minutes later? still plenty of time for him to render huge amounts of hurt upon you.

the key fact is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. so to suggest that a couple of shots will deter someone who is amped up on drugs and has huge amounts of adrenaling flowing is providing false security and misleading.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Like a Super Shorty!
I think it may be cheaper to build one, even after buyin a shotgun and registering it as an SBS.
We used them when I was on TEU (SWAT) and tried them for entry and VIP protection and they are worthless!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #87
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I'm sorry, is dealing in actual data somehow a problem for you? It was a simple question.
Does the average LAC now get into long drawn out shootouts these days?
If so, when did this change come about?
How many rounds must one expect to need in this brave new world?
I don't know, Perhaps actual info might help me re-evaluate my situation and how I arm myself. For instance, does my 5 shot .38 w/ a reload make me helpless against the criminal hordes or do I need a plastic wonder nine with at least 3 reloads to get my paper off the porch?

Again, I'm not talking about people who chase bad guys, I'm talking about the normal person going about their normal lives.

Those places, while quite lovely, are not really relevant the vast majority of people who's lives are lived elsewhere.

You made the assertion, not me. I simply asked that you back it with something resembling useful information. Sorry for that.
Read. I read several national sources, and every local source, daily.

I sometimes look at local mug shot postings, and read what they were charged for.

You cannot gauge the average freshness of a jar of mayonnaise by statistics. You must determine the value of the the mayo by each use. Saying you have lived in the same house twenty years, and never had any trouble, does not mean you leave your house unlocked at night.

Omaha, recently. 93 year old woman, sleeping in a home with family, is attacked, raped, beaten so badly, she dies several days later. Attacker was asleep in her bed when police were called in the morning. Illegal alien from Mexico doing odd roofing jobs. In the country four months.

Watch the movie, no country for old men, and get a glimpse into what is happening on the streets of America, today. Gang violence is many times harsher than portrayed in this Hollywood film. Bodies hung from bridges, decapitated heads, people boiled alive in oil.

We trully living in no country for old men.

Last edited by AR10; 07-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We used them when I was on TEU (SWAT) and tried them for entry and VIP protection and they are worthless!!!
Only three shots if I remember correctly, right? The short barrel must also make some wide, crappy grouping too. I think Tubbs had one on Miami Vice.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #89

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Discounting .40 and 10mm is just silly. They may take a little more practice to be proficient on due to the snappier high pressure rds but aside from that they are definitely a viable option.

Especially 10mm the reg watered down 10mm slinging that big glock 20/21 slide back makes for a very manageable rd

ballistic-chart.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #90

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Like a Super Shorty!
Would that be considered a SBS seeing as it has no buttstock ? Wouldnt that be a pistol or ?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin