Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Is James Yeager Correct, 9mm or .45 acp Only Good Choices For Defense Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/james-yeager-correct-9mm-45-acp-only-good-choices-defense-ammo-92729/)

AR10 06-23-2013 08:17 AM

Is James Yeager Correct, 9mm or .45 acp Only Good Choices For Defense Ammo?
 
James has a video, where he gives his opinion that .40 type ammo (any high pressure round) is a bad idea for your personal carry self defense round.

As a 20 year owner.of a Glock 20, this opinion took me buy surprise.

With today's modern ammo, in today's modern built firearms, many built to shoot better, harder hitting rounds, often with no increased recoil, is James on to something?

My only high pressure handgun is my Glock 20, that I carry with Buffalo Bore ammo, topping 1,500 fps, throwing a 100% copper hollow point someone could park a Buick in.

My other carry gun is a Baretta Sub Compact Storm in 9mm.

Did I get that recent choice correct, or is James incorrect?

AR10 06-23-2013 08:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gsxdk1V8i-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gsxdk1V8i-M

Jagermeister 06-23-2013 08:28 AM

Yeager thinks that the Glock 19 is the only gun you should own. He thinks .40 is useless. He threatens to kill people. He makes our cause very difficult and makes gun owners sound crazy. Yeager is an *******. I have no respect for this idiot.




Here is one from a fellow forum member...


sputnik1988 06-23-2013 08:36 AM

The best defensive round is the one that you have.

There is absolutely no logical reason why a 9mm and a .45 are acceptable, while the .40 is not.

Yeager is a moron, not that he wasn't before this.

kbd512 06-23-2013 09:10 AM

High pressure handgun rounds don't accomplish anything that lower pressure handgun rounds don't on human targets.

I've shot .40 S&W and 10MM pistols and never had any desire to own either.

Is there anything wrong with those calibers? No, but what does the round do against a human target that a 9MM or .45 ACP won't?

If you want slower, fatter bullets you have .45 ACP. If you want faster, smaller bullets you have 9MM. The .40 S&W and 10MM bullets are slightly faster and slightly fatter than 9MM but provide minimal increases in performance for the major increases in pressure and wear & tear on the guns that chamber them.

So, while I could care less if someone uses .40 S&W I would ask them what that cartridge offers that hot loaded 9MM NATO ammunition does not. 10MM cartridges are about equivalent with .357 Magnum loadings and, unsurprisingly, most people have problems with fast follow up shots.

How many 9MM or .45 ACP handguns have been blown up by hot loaded cartridges vs .40 S&W or 10MM?

Jagermeister 06-23-2013 09:44 AM

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/669

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

AR10 06-23-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1284098)
Yeager thinks that the Glock 19 is the only gun you should own. He thinks .40 is useless. He threatens to kill people. He makes our cause very difficult and makes gun owners sound crazy. Yeager is an *******. I have no respect for this idiot.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmkGgQLCMA

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxdk1V8i-M

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr581OIiK9Y

Here is one from a fellow forum member...

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKXRIGZcOQ

Thanks for your response, appreciate it, however, my gist was ammo, not polarizing 2nd armament supporters, and what we think of them personally.

I , on this subject, have no clear opinion on this guy, except we both had the same opinion, on the armed march on DC, which we both feel would be really stupid. Other than that, I do not know anything about Yeager.

Here is another video where a news person is interviewing him.

Now, back to 9mm as ideal ammo over a .40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZj-nplqx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jagermeister 06-23-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1284119)
Thanks for your response, appreciate it, however, my gist was ammo, not polarizing 2nd armament supporters, and what we think of them personally.

I , on this subject, have no clear opinion on this guy, except we both had the same opinion, on the armed march on DC, which we both feel would be really stupid. Other than that, I do not know anything about Yeager.

Here is another video where a news person is interviewing him.

Now, back to 9mm as ideal ammo over a .40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZj-nplqx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have included some research in my last post above to look at stopping power. My point on Yeager is that I have problems with his facts regarding your question.

AR10 06-23-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbd512 (Post 1284106)
High pressure handgun rounds don't accomplish anything that lower pressure handgun rounds don't on human targets.

I've shot .40 S&W and 10MM pistols and never had any desire to own either.

Is there anything wrong with those calibers? No, but what does the round do against a human target that a 9MM or .45 ACP won't?

If you want slower, fatter bullets you have .45 ACP. If you want faster, smaller bullets you have 9MM. The .40 S&W and 10MM bullets are slightly faster and slightly fatter than 9MM but provide minimal increases in performance for the major increases in pressure and wear & tear on the guns that chamber them.

So, while I could care less if someone uses .40 S&W I would ask them what that cartridge offers that hot loaded 9MM NATO ammunition does not. 10MM cartridges are about equivalent with .357 Magnum loadings and, unsurprisingly, most people have problems with fast follow up shots.

How many 9MM or .45 ACP handguns have been blown up by hot loaded cartridges vs .40 S&W or 10MM?

Thanks for your post. Your opinion falls along the line of the Yeager ideas on defensive ammo.

As a new Range Safety Officer teaching at concealed carry classes, I am learning my road over the past twenty years, is not the road everyone else is traveling on.

Donn 06-23-2013 10:45 AM

Yeager's issue with the .40 and .357 Sig is it's too hot for the 9mm platform it's based on. Sooner or later, parts will fail regardless which polymer gun is used. These findings are based on his experience in his classes. Not defending him, but the only difference between Yeager and a lot of guys on this forum is he's got a You Tube channel. Look thru the threads here. Guys are just as opinionated, every bit as sure their pistol choice is the best and anyone who doesn't agree is a dead man/woman walking. Just sayin..........


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.