Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Introduction, some beginner questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Introduction, some beginner questions

Hello all... This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading a lot of the back posts and am impressed with the knowledge level from the members.

I haven't fired a handgun in close to 10 years (right about the time my daughter was born I had them stored elsewhere and they promptly disappeared). Up to that time, I shot a 1911 somewhat regularly.

My questions are about current best practice for shooting with modern firearms.

I was taught to push forward with my dominant hand and gently pull back with my other hand, elbows firm but not locked, wrist in level plain to forearm. This resistance would supposedly improve accuracy. The other school of thought was to cradle the pistol in the non-dominant hand. The latter was never too effective for me, however. Online I found that neither is recommended anymore. The consensus seems to be that the grip is just enough to keep the weapon from flying out of your hand and anything more than that leads to fatigue which leads to trembling which leads to missed targets. Any thoughts on this? (I.e., a link to a recommended site)

Twenty years ago I was told not to use light loads for practice. I.e., practice with what you'd shoot with. Even using a .22 was frowned upon. Anyway, it's been a long time for me. I'd like to pick up a Walther P22 and put a few thousand rounds through it first before shooting with the .40 and 9mm I have now. Is this a good idea or self defeating?

Next (and this is somewhat embarassing), my hands perspire at the drop of a hat. Even thinking about it causes my hands to sweat. Any suggestions for shooting with this problem? I use gloves but I don't like the feel of gloves and don't feel as safe with them on.

Related to this last, what pistol is the most rust/corrosion resistant and easiest to clean?

Again, thanks all for the knowledge...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum sir. Many of our new members post an introduction in the INTRODUCTIONS section of the forum so the rest of the members can say howdy do and welcome, but that is your preference.

This video will explane handgun grip technique much better than I could verbally rattle on about and is spot on, and it is a great visual as well.

As far as the sweaty hands are concerned, a small cotton towel on hand works nicely to wipe your hands with, or a rosin bag, like baseball pitchers use helps too. Changing out your pistol grips to a more textured pattern may help as well.

Reacquiring yourself with the .22 will help with getting you back up to speed with your handling and shooting skills, and will be cheap to practice with, while preparing for the others, but luckily, both the 9mm and the .40 calibers are cheap and plentiful at this time.

Lastly, a polly pistol would be the most rust/corrosion resistant, but there are many handguns out there, including steel pistols, that are easy to breakdown and clean, and as you know, a well cleaned and lubed up pistol between range sessions helps immensely.

There will be others along to give some other great suggestions shortly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome to the FTF! Nothing has changed, a solid foundation and strong grip that is comfortable for you is best. As for that other thing, Stainless Steel might be your beat choice!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Hello all... This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading a lot of the back posts and am impressed with the knowledge level from the members.

I haven't fired a handgun in close to 10 years (right about the time my daughter was born I had them stored elsewhere and they promptly disappeared). Up to that time, I shot a 1911 somewhat regularly.

My questions are about current best practice for shooting with modern firearms.

I was taught to push forward with my dominant hand and gently pull back with my other hand, elbows firm but not locked, wrist in level plain to forearm. This resistance would supposedly improve accuracy. The other school of thought was to cradle the pistol in the non-dominant hand. The latter was never too effective for me, however. Online I found that neither is recommended anymore. The consensus seems to be that the grip is just enough to keep the weapon from flying out of your hand and anything more than that leads to fatigue which leads to trembling which leads to missed targets. Any thoughts on this? (I.e., a link to a recommended site)

Twenty years ago I was told not to use light loads for practice. I.e., practice with what you'd shoot with. Even using a .22 was frowned upon. Anyway, it's been a long time for me. I'd like to pick up a Walther P22 and put a few thousand rounds through it first before shooting with the .40 and 9mm I have now. Is this a good idea or self defeating?

Next (and this is somewhat embarassing), my hands perspire at the drop of a hat. Even thinking about it causes my hands to sweat. Any suggestions for shooting with this problem? I use gloves but I don't like the feel of gloves and don't feel as safe with them on.

Related to this last, what pistol is the most rust/corrosion resistant and easiest to clean?

Again, thanks all for the knowledge...
As for the hands perspiring, try an unscented anti-perspirant NOT a deodorant.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome from Damascus, MD.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Grip powder works really well for me. The damper your hands get, the more it sticks.
Find it online or at your local sporting goods store. Usually around the weightlifting supplies

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7620 Times on 3316 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Some very good advice already posted. By all means- get a good .22, and shoot the daylights out of it. Simply shooting may do a bit to desensitize you,and reduce the sweating. Ask much as I personally dislike Tupperware, the polymer sidearms are likely to be the most rust resistant. If you find that polymer grips are a bit slick for you, several companies do make a rubber add-on- but just for grins and giggles, get an old bicycle inner tube, and make yourself a "glock sock". Cut a section of the inner tube about 2.5 inches long, stretch it, slide it over the grips. DO NOT use on any gun with a grip safety (defeats the safety). And welcome-

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

When its raining and I'm playing golf or disc golf, I carry a Birdie Bag. Its filled with kiln dried hardwood dust and is VERY absorbent. I just pat it between my hands and it dries them well. The best part is there is no resin or residue to worry about cleaning off later.

Birdie Bag

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I'll try the suggestions for the grip and will be heading to the range this week for some much needed practice.

I found a used Walther P22 and will pick it up this week. It brings back a lot of memories for me. Back in the 80s a buddy of mine lived on a horse farm. At night the back wall of the stables (empty but for the bugs) would be crawling with 1" to 2" Palmetto bugs. We spent hours with BB guns and .22s firing at them.