Interesting situation, wrong ammo in a weapon.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Interesting situation, wrong ammo in a weapon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Interesting situation, wrong ammo in a weapon.

As I begin this story it is alittle like my cousins baby sister tracey, but its worth reading.

Recently a friend and fellow co worker came to me with a new pistol he was having a feed issue with. It was a new, unfired 9mm Kel Tec PF9 that he had received from a friend who works at a local gun shop.

My friend is fairly new to firearms, but does own pistols.

Having said that, the 9mm he received came with a full magizine of hollow points. Trusting his friend,and not having the knowledge that there are many ammo calibers that are very close in size, he attempted to load the weapon. When the round fed, the pistol would not go into full battery and after attempting to do so, the slide was stuck partly open. He could not clear it and brought it to me to look at since I also have the same model of Kel Tec.
After getting the weapon in a safe location and examining it, I was able to free the round.

End Result: The weapon was loaded with 9 x 18 Makarov!!

No damage was sustained to the weapon, or my friend for that matter.

He learned a good lesson, and thankfully a good outcome.

I wanted to share this story with all that are inexperienced and a reminder to all that are well versed with weapons that if you loose focus just for a second, failing to fully check weapon caliber vs. ammo caliber in this case, horrible things can and will happen.

This may seem like firearms 101 to the more advanced operators on this site, but with all the new weapons owners seeking info every day, seems worth telling the tale.

Stay safe !

Chris

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8945 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Chris- excellent point. There are whole herd of assorted 9mm cartridges that definitely DO not interchange (last quick count was about 8 different ones), as well as assorted .32s, and .38s. Once found a gent with an original Colt Lightning, (cal .38 Long Colt) trying to fit .38 Special in it. .38 Super in a gun made for .38 Auto could be a trip to the ER waiting to happen.

As more and more of Grandad's old guns come out of closets and cupboards, expect to see more of this sort of thing.

Now, for MY guilty as charged moment- spending a quiet afternoon at the range. Shooting a .308 Winchester auto. First 2 rounds did not even stay on the paper at 100 yds- and it was BIG paper. Recoil felt a bit light- checked rifle, everything was fine, bore clear, scope mounts tight. Then I looked at my brass. I had just fired 2 rounds of .243 out of a .308. Fire formed the hell out of the cases- .243 bullet rattling down a .308 bore explained why I could not hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle- and took a lesson in humility away with me.

Right ammo in the right gun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #3

Great lesson i dont care if you have been using and around firearms all your life accident can and will happen. So everybody please becareful.

If you know or see somebody that is either new to shooting help them any way you can because you have to remeber that at one time you was a new shooter to and someone helped you

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Yeah it was a good reminder for me as well. I have mixed calibers including 40 S&W and 357sig, which will fit into the same magazines. Its an easy thing to do if distracted, not focused, etc. Thanks for the input.

Chris

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

This is a good thread.
The other day, my co-worker, who owns a Kel Tec in .32acp tried to load it with 7.65mm Browning, which is supposedly the same as .32, It didn't work in his gun because the 7.65 is about one sixteenth of an inch longer than .32.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Its amazing to me that there are so many calibers that are soo close in size, with the ability to partly or fully chamber into the wrong pistol, that there isn't more incidents that have a negative outcome. I know and have seen the results of the wrong ammo in a weapon and the destruction that results from it.
What concerned me with the situation in this story is that the weapon came new from a gun shop, not someone who knew nothing about weapons. I realize that accidents happen, but I would expect someone who works with firearms on a daily basis would not have made that mistake.

In the end, it was a good outcome and no one was injured.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Before you should fire any firearm you should fully understand the firearm and the ammo. Anything less should require questions and a second review of what you have and what you know. If it isn't clear then STOP until you know for a fact.

A firearm isn't something you "figure out" you either fully understand it or you wait to pull the trigger until you learn.

I bought a pistol several years ago that was marked 9mm parabelum. I expected it was a standard 9mm round but before I shot it I took the time to fully understand what I had.

It is just that simple, know what you have before you pull the trigger.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

WDB,

I couldn't agree with you more. My purpose for sharing the story was to hopefully prevent someone else being is that situation.

For the people who have owned and shot weapons for years, and well educated on firearms, this is not an issue normally.

But every time I am in any of my local gun stores, I see multiple people in there selecting a weapon for all the wrong reasons( its "pretty", "shiny", "cute", etc.). I'm sure that you and everyone for that matter has seen the same. The scary thing is I see more of them every time I have been in the gun shop recently, buying a firearm, and have minimal understanding of the weapon.

My friend had no clue that there were so many different calibers in the 9mm family.
He does now and is taken more interest in learning about weapons, not just owning and carrying them.

Stay safe.

Chris

Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #9

If I could chime in... I came across a bit of a rarity and oddity...

A customer on my firing range had his 1911 lock up. I had to extract the stuck cartridge with a little bit of "umph!"

He was firing a bunch of junk reloads a buddy had given him... and in the mix was a single .45 Auto Rim round. I had never seen or heard of the .45 Auto Rim until that day a couple of weeks ago.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Back in the day, I bought one of those chamber-conversion sleeves for am M-1 Garand, the one that converts a .30-06 to a .308.

I installed it and took it out to shoot. The first time out, there was no problem, and the rifle fed and fired the rounds perfectly.

The second time I took it out, the chamber sleeve ejected with one of the rounds, and I fired five or .308 rounds through the .30-06 chamber before noticing that the brass hitting the ground sounded funny. (Always pay attention to little things like that...)

When I investigated, I found that the rifle had created five straight-walled cases out of what had previously been .308 military surplus rounds.

To be fair, the rifle still functioned flawlessly, but that's not an experiment that I'd care to repeat. I still have those five cases sitting on a shelf in my gun room as a reminder.

Oh--and the conversion sleeve was hammered flat and thrown away immediately.