Instructor full time?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Instructor full time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 389 Times on 225 Posts

Default Instructor full time?

They say if you love your job, you never work a day in your life. Well, I've been thinking about how much I don't love my job. What I do love is firearms and teaching people about firearms. I was thinking of taking all of the NRA instructor courses at my range (basic pistol, rifle, shotgun, personal defense etc etc). I know some of you have taken these courses and teach part time. I'd also like to go further than the NRA courses and take some training courses at a firearms training facility in the next state over from me. My question is, can you actually make a full time career teaching on your own. I know many guys teach part time for some extra spending money, but I don't know anyone, besides the instructor for my ccw permit class, that does it full time. I'm aware of the challenges of running your own business, as I ran a remodeling company with my father for many years before getting into working for weatherization companies when he retired. I've done research into starting an llc and acquiring insurance among all the other things that go with running a business. I've never really chased any of my dreams in life and im kind of getting tired of grinding my fingers to the bone working construction. 16 years in the business and I think it's time I at least attempt to do something I love. So is it worth taking all of those classes, furthering my firearms education, and trying to teach full time? Before I get scolded for ignorance as to how tough and competitive the field is....I'm well aware. I know it's not an easy task, I'm just asking for advice and whether it's plausible that I could make it a full time job. Several new ranges have popped up in my area and they are looking for guys to teach classes and give range members discounted lessons. I'm no stranger to being in a leadership position as I'm currently a project manager for a large weatherization and energy savings company who does work for municipalities and the military. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion, go for it!

reality check, i'd say start off on a smaller scale and keep your full time job until it took off though.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I agree with Axxe, go for it but don't quit your day job. I don't know where you are, but around here there's an NRA-certified instructor under every rock. The guys I know who do it full time--and I've met very few--are retired and have some kind of supplemental income like a pension or social security and very low overhead. Not to be negative, your case could be the exception.

Is it worth it? Of course it's worth it. It's good for your soul in the least and may help pay the bills.

People Like This 
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 589

You really have be on the ball and a great promoter. I have seen youtube training videos that were pretty lame. In close quarters combat if you shoot from isosceles stance anyone who has had a few judo lessons would lay you on your back and customize their shoes on your face. That is not what would define as quality training. Some of these guys are big time "trainers."

Like in this video. The assistant has both hands Massad's shoulders. All he has to do is trip Assad and begin the shoe customization. Assad would have no chance to draw his gun. The first scene is good advice. Step away, draw and fire is going to work most of the time.

http://youtu.be/K5CrxIV7mXA

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-10-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
my suggestion, go for it!

reality check, i'd say start off on a smaller scale and keep your full time job until it took off though.
I was thinking that would be the optimum direction to go. Maybe start off doing a weekend class, see how I like it, and then branch out. Just a thought right now, but it would be wonderful to have a career that marries my two favorite things....shooting and talking about shooting haha.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I was thinking that would be the optimum direction to go. Maybe start off doing a weekend class, see how I like it, and then branch out. Just a thought right now, but it would be wonderful to have a career that marries my two favorite things....shooting and talking about shooting haha.
many great things came about from just a thought!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
You can start training. We have a former DEA agent who got "sacked" in his own yard when he came home in broad daylight. It has taken him a couple years to build a business. Despite his inability to defend himself he has plenty of students. The guy was crippled for life by two men. One put a feed sack over him and the other beat him with a baseball bat. I don't know if it was a Louisville slugger or an aluminum bat.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I say go for it! I would love my husband to do the same thing, just work weekends. I've been trying to find a class for this month. I had one day out of the whole month I was not available. Guess when all the classes were? That one day. I finally found a class I can take the next weekend, but it's a little further away than I want to drive. If you choose to do this, you might be able to help a lot of people who might not otherwise be able to take the class because of time restrictions. Most of the instructors around here use an outdoor range for the shooting part of the class. I'm not sure what agreement they have with the range owners, but that might be an option instead of building your own range right from the start....lease/rent from an established owner for a certain date and time. Good luck to you!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoniJo View Post
I say go for it! I would love my husband to do the same thing, just work weekends. I've been trying to find a class for this month. I had one day out of the whole month I was not available. Guess when all the classes were? That one day. I finally found a class I can take the next weekend, but it's a little further away than I want to drive. If you choose to do this, you might be able to help a lot of people who might not otherwise be able to take the class because of time restrictions. Most of the instructors around here use an outdoor range for the shooting part of the class. I'm not sure what agreement they have with the range owners, but that might be an option instead of building your own range right from the start....lease/rent from an established owner for a certain date and time. Good luck to you!
that brings up some good points to consider. whether you wanted to stay based out of your home or a shop at your home or travel to gun ranges or gun stores in your area.

another area of training you might give some consideration is Concealed Carry certification training. IMO, i think once you had NRA certification getting certified by your state, that should be pretty easy. there is one guy that does CC classes on saturdays, that if he has enough who sign up for his class, he will travel to that area to give his classes. he also gives group discounts as well if you have three or more in your group.

once you decide to take the step into being an instructor and get the proper certifications, you might look into setting up a website and getting business cards and flyers to hand out to gun ranges and gun stores in your area. and talking to the owners and managers of the gun ranges, gun stores and pawn shops in your area to tell them what you are planning on doing. word of mouth advertising can be very powerful and relatively inexpensive.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You can start training. We have a former DEA agent who got "sacked" in his own yard when he came home in broad daylight. It has taken him a couple years to build a business. Despite his inability to defend himself he has plenty of students. The guy was crippled for life by two men. One put a feed sack over him and the other beat him with a baseball bat. I don't know if it was a Louisville slugger or an aluminum bat.
Maybe I'm confused, but what does this guy getting "sacked" have to do with me training to be an instructor?