Initial Handling of Weapon While Half Asleep - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Initial Handling of Weapon While Half Asleep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I keep a handgun in a biometric fingerprint safe i have mounted in my closet and that i bought pretty recently. If I ever need it in the middle of the night, I know I will be awake enough to use it by the time I get the safe open (all you need is your fingerprint to scan. so about 5 seconds tops to open and retrieve.) That way I never worry about squeezing the trigger at night and the safe is 100% reliable. It only cost me about $100, so it was a pretty good buy. The guy selling them on ebay had a pretty large quantity, so the ad might still be up! If you want one I think they are listed under 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe keyless new NIB' but I dont know. Anyway good luck with practicing everyone!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #22

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The only scenario I'm concerned about is one in which a BG is able to gain entry to my home and I don't awaken until they are in my hallway or bedroom. I'm not sure I would react quickly enough to protect my family. My main security system right now is my light sleep and very open ears.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #23

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Home safety

In our family we only have adults in the house so our system is different or perhaps I should say our routine is different. My oldest son and I are the two that keep handguns next to their beds. My wife while she can use a handgun and has several is delegated to be the 911 caller. For that use she alone has a telephome right next to her ear (so to speak) on her side of the bed. She doesn't even have to get up. My carry gun (mini-45acp DA w/ staggered column and extra magazine laying next to it) is within arms reach from my side of the bed on the night stand.
Then...Alarm system. Duke the Dog sleeps in the front room and from that position he can hear anyone walking up the driveway or opening the two outside doors.(Storm doors) He is half Beagle and half Dashound and has a bay or howl like the Beagle and it immediately wakes all 4 occupants of the house. The oldest son comes up from his basement apartment and positions himself at the head of the basement stairs with his pistol in hand but finger straight along the frame. I in bare feet go down the hall until I can see through the dining room to the front door. Seeing nothing standing at the door I slip into the dining room and check the front of the yard for cars parked or people standing or walking in the drive. If nothing is found I call to son and tell him "No one up front!" He then goes to the kitchen and checks through the window into the back yard and side drive way. I would add also that we have movement sensitive lighting all around our house so which lights come on will tell us where anyone is. If nothing is found and Duke has shut up, then we figure it was someone walking by and stopping or possible when the lights came on them and the dog howled they fled.
It has been tested several times a year when we had someone trying to get into our cars in the drive.
Sarge
Sarge

Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Once the adrenaline hits you won't be half-asleep. If you perceive a threat, your body is going to react chemically. Unless you've been drinking or have taken a sleeping pill or a tranq, you'll be alert pretty fast...but it's good to think through different scenarios and practice drills.

The bigger danger in this kind of situation for people who have never encountered a serious threat contact is overreaction rather than underreaction. Shooting too fast, engaging the wrong target, not identifying your target, fumbling your reload, tripping over the rug...it happens. A big part of your defense is going to be prompt situational awareness and a steady hand.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #25

Default Home Safety

I agree with the muscle memory and the situational practicing. I think that if you do not have children in the house that at night you should not have to get in to anything to access your weapon. All of our situations are different depending on the size of your residence, the smaller you have the less time you have. Also that if you can have a Home Security System that allows you to arm all the entry points while you are sleeping would help and give you more warning before you find the intruder in your hallway or closer.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The only scenario I'm concerned about is one in which a BG is able to gain entry to my home and I don't awaken until they are in my hallway or bedroom. I'm not sure I would react quickly enough to protect my family. My main security system right now is my light sleep and very open ears.
I find my dog works well at waking me up at the slightest noise. There are also some pretty cheap but effective motion sensors out there that operate off RF key fobs that could work well too.

I also like to practice clearing the home every month or so, just so I can have every advantage in case the SHTF.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
I find my dog works well at waking me up at the slightest noise. There are also some pretty cheap but effective motion sensors out there that operate off RF key fobs that could work well too.

I also like to practice clearing the home every month or so, just so I can have every advantage in case the SHTF.

Good advice. Dogs are simply the best BG alarm and DEW system ever invented (I have 5). They discourage, warn and intimidate...but if you can't have dogs, the motion sensors are a good alternative.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #28

Yes, I Have a German shepherd named eddy who barks whenever someone walks by. this is pretty rare though cause I live on a cul de sac, usually only cars. Once I did catch someone jumping over the front fence to break a window at 2 in the morning.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The instructor in my concealed class said that it takes about 3 seconds to awake and evaluate a situation.
His suggestion is NOT to keep your weapon on/ in the nightstand as it may be too close for the required 3 seconds. I would think this would be good advice if you have other family members in the house. Also negate the above if you live alone
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3285 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

I have my Glock 27 40 Cal. in my bed stand the same one I carry for CCW. And my wife has a Browning BDA 380 in her bed stand. As well as an AR on a special weapons rack in my closet beside the bed. Home security can be improved considerably by doing things that would make the BG make noise or be detected. I lock my bedroom door at night and we have a Labrador. In addition there are sensors on the outside of the house and if you have never heard of them Dakota Alarms on the drive and other areas. They are very inexpensive motion systems considering the price and what they are capable of. They have about a mile or two sending distance and advise what zone the violation is in. You may not believe it but I use one of the Dakota MUR Systems in Texas for night predator hunting. Set it up on a fence post or tree by a gut pile and set off and take it easy. Yes sometimes a nap until the zone alarm goes off then get up and make my 100 yard or more shoot the coyote or predator. It consists of a sending unit with an antenna and a Walkie Talkie sized receiver. My home unit has a larger receiver. Bottom line
you can use the Dakota MUR Units inside or out. And no I do not have and business relationship with them it is just a fantastic product. One receiver will handle 4 sending units and respond by announcing the zone.