Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   I'm interested in becoming an NRA Instructor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/im-interested-becoming-nra-instructor-92024/)

JW357 06-09-2013 08:35 AM

Just as the title says. I've read everything I can find on the NRA Instructor website. Here are the disciplines I'm most interested in, in order:

Basic Pistol Shooting
Personal Protection in the Home
Personal Protection Outside the Home
Home Firearm Safety
Basic Rifle Shooting
Basic Shotgun Shooting
Metallic Cartridge Reloading

Does anyone have these certs? What can you tell me about the process, the classes, what I can or can't do, how long is the cert good for before I'll be up for renewal, etc? Basically anything not listed on the website. I don't want to do it simply to make money, but is there a bit of money to be made in teaching classes? Will being certified in "Basic Pistol Shooting" enable me to legitimately give CCW classes? If so, how do I get started in THAT?

Sorry for the plethora of questions, but I want to know everything there is to know about it. Thanks.

mountainman13 06-09-2013 10:55 AM

If I remember correctly you have to start with the RSO course and work your way up to instructor. It is alot of time and money to invest. You need a place that will allow you to teach (usually costs money) and serious liability insurance. Certs are usually good for 3 years. With all that said, yes you can make money doing it.
I have a buddy that does a basic firearms (minimum requirement for ltc) class every Saturday. He averages around 6 people per class @ $100 a head.
$600.(average) for 4 hours of work is nothing to scoff at.

mountainman13 06-09-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1271764)
If I remember correctly you have to start with the RSO course and work your way up to instructor. It is alot of time and money to invest. You need a place that will allow you to teach (usually costs money) and serious liability insurance. Certs are usually good for 3 years. With all that said, yes you can make money doing it.
I have a buddy that does a basic firearms (minimum requirement for ltc) class every Saturday. He averages around 6 people per class @ $100 a head.
$600.(average) for 4 hours of work is nothing to scoff at.

BTW the RSO course is about 8 hours and $85 (with NRA discount) the price and time required goes up from there.

JW357 06-09-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

BTW the RSO course is about 8 hours and $85 (with NRA discount) the price and time required goes up from there.

Interesting. Thanks for responding. Maybe it's changed recently, but according to the website ( http://training.nra.org/training/become-a-range-safety-officer.aspx ) -

Quote:


Individuals who currently possess a valid NRA Firearms Instructor certification or NRA Coach appointment in one of the NRA's firearms training programs have the option of taking the Range Safety Officer course by home validation.
Those individuals who do not hold a trainer rating must attend a Range Safety Officer course. Range Safety Officer courses are conducted by Chief Range Safety Officers. ("Chief Range Safety Officers" are those individuals certified to train NRA Range Safety Officers.) The Range Safety Officer course is a nine-hour course that consists of classroom time and practical exercises conducted on a range. Range Safety Officer candidates will receive the Range Safety Officer Student Packet.


So to me that makes it sound like they aren't connected. Maybe I'm misreading something or skipping something?

JW357 06-10-2013 01:53 AM

Anyone else able to shed some light on this subject for me?

nitestalker 06-10-2013 05:39 AM

I have been an NRA Certified Handgun Inst. for a very long time. I think you can expect to invest $1,000 dollars for your certification. In many cases you have travel cost motels etc. Once you have your Basic Instructors approval you may advance to Combat trainer levels etc.
Contact the NRA and find an NRA Consular near you who is teaching classes. Getting Info. from Public forums may not be the best way to get your information.:)

JW357 06-10-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker
I have been an NRA Certified Handgun Inst. for a very long time. I think you can expect to invest $1,000 dollars for your certification. In many cases you have travel cost motels etc. Once you have your Basic Instructors approval you may advance to Combat trainer levels etc.
Contact the NRA and find an NRA Consular near you who is teaching classes. Getting Info. from Public forums may not be the best way to get your information.:)

I plan on it, when I get settled at my next duty station. Until then, I want to get as much information as I can, to lessen the learning curve later on, when its important.

Do the materials for the classes get paid for out of the cost of admission to the class, or does the NRA furnish these things to instructors for free?

What will the course entail, aside from the generic stuff listed on the website?

What will re-certifying entail?

What kind of liability insurance should I have?

How do I go about getting setup at a premise? Do I just walk into a gun store, introduce myself, and say I wanna teach a basic pistol course a couple times per month there? Or does the NRA set something up for me?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for the help.

JW357 09-19-2013 06:35 PM

I'm bumping this thread. Some of my specific questions haven't been asnwered.

Also, if I get my certification in one state, is it valid in another state? For example, if I become certified in Texas, and then move back to California for a few years, would I need to do anything to change my cert?

UpTheHill 09-28-2013 10:25 PM

i got my nra basic pistol cert in the spring.
it was a 2 1/2 day class, and laid the foundation for all the other classes.
it was about 75 miles from home, so i stayed at a motel, but the nra counselor who taught it gave me a list of reasonable priced motels in the area.

after the class he gave me a self paced class handouts to becone an nra rso and an nra instructor for metallic and shotshell reloading, you read the liturature, and send in the test to the NRA for grading, he was available via phone or email for questions.

about 2 months kater in the beginning of the summer, i took the 2 day PPITH class,it was close enough to home for me to travel back and forth.

right now I'm an NRA certifide i structor for basic pistol, personal eprotection in home and reloading.

the personal protection outside the home requires you to first take the student verwin first (2 days) then the instructor class (2 days).

I went thru the NRA business aliance for instructor liability insurance which cost $300 a year for a $1 millon policy.

I highly recoomend joining the nra business alliance, lots of good info and help from them, and it only costs $35 a year.

and an NRA instructor is the same, no matter what state it is. the exceptions are the state laws. i used to live in Mass which required you to be certified by the state police, which at the time meant sending them your nra certifications and a check. money is all they wanted.

JW357 09-29-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpTheHill (Post 1386594)
i got my nra basic pistol cert in the spring.
it was a 2 1/2 day class, and laid the foundation for all the other classes.
it was about 75 miles from home, so i stayed at a motel, but the nra counselor who taught it gave me a list of reasonable priced motels in the area.

after the class he gave me a self paced class handouts to becone an nra rso and an nra instructor for metallic and shotshell reloading, you read the liturature, and send in the test to the NRA for grading, he was available via phone or email for questions.

about 2 months kater in the beginning of the summer, i took the 2 day PPITH class,it was close enough to home for me to travel back and forth.

right now I'm an NRA certifide i structor for basic pistol, personal eprotection in home and reloading.

the personal protection outside the home requires you to first take the student verwin first (2 days) then the instructor class (2 days).

I went thru the NRA business aliance for instructor liability insurance which cost $300 a year for a $1 millon policy.

I highly recoomend joining the nra business alliance, lots of good info and help from them, and it only costs $35 a year.

and an NRA instructor is the same, no matter what state it is. the exceptions are the state laws. i used to live in Mass which required you to be certified by the state police, which at the time meant sending them your nra certifications and a check. money is all they wanted.

Awesome response. Thank you, I appreciate it. Awesome tip about the business alliance too. That seems like an awesome price too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.