I'm high left
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > I'm high left

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cjbubbadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roy,WA
Posts: 27
Default I'm high left

My history, in 1994 I qualified with a 1911 for the Navy. It wasn't challenge, but since that time I've put about 6 rounds down range. I am now trying to become more consistant with where the round lands. Today I put 24 rounds to paper, 10 were in the 6 inch circle the rest were high left. Is this from recoil anticipation, stance, or just not relaxing into the shot? Any input, suggestions, or advice is welcome. I'll try anything once or twice.

__________________

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

cjbubbadoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

A lot of people go by this:

__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

This might help.

left-handed.jpg   right-handed.jpg  
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Are you shooting right handed? (Strong side right?) I assume you are with high left hits.

At what distance? (new shooters should ALWAYS start close, it's the only advantage you can give them for success besides proper caliber selection)

Do you shoot any other handguns? (just looking for bad habits)

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

oops, forgot the ambidextrous approach, sorry

__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cjbubbadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roy,WA
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Are you shooting right handed? (Strong side right?) I assume you are with high left hits.

At what distance? (new shooters should ALWAYS start close, it's the only advantage you can give them for success besides proper caliber selection)

Do you shoot any other handguns? (just looking for bad habits)
right handed, 25 feet and 40 feet. Not yet, I only own the one. I feel that any spread is operator error at this point.
__________________

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Last edited by canebrake; 05-06-2011 at 12:14 PM.
cjbubbadoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cjbubbadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roy,WA
Posts: 27
Default

pushing or no follow through seems to be my problem, probably tense at brake. Just need to let the pistol work.

__________________

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

cjbubbadoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbubbadoc View Post
right handed, 25 feet and 40 feet. Not yet, I only own the one. I feel that any spread is operator error at this point.
Try this;
  • Start at 5 meters (~15')
  • Grip gun with isometric resistance right to left hand. Push with strong side and pull with weak side. [You are shooting two hand, right?] Start out easy and experiment by applying different (but equal fore and aft isometric) pressure's until it starts working. (read: hits on point of aim.)
  • I know this is going to confuse you even more but....with your two hand purchase (squeeze) relax your strong side (trigger hand) 'squeeze' and tighten your weak side until you have a 10% delta. The gun should be held 60% with the weak side purchase and 40% strong side. This relaxes the trigger finger.
Now for the training. Each time you fill the sight with target, but just before you pull the loud switch, ask yourself;
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Do i have good isometric balance? (push to pull)
  • Does my weak side hand have control of the 'squeeze'?
  • Is my trigger finger relaxed and properly on the trigger?
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Start the pull and ALWAYS have the trigger break surprize you. (let it happen, don't "make" it happen) This is your "follow through".
Trigger pull MUST be;
  1. Deliberate
  2. Linear in pressure
This is training, NOT a race. Go slow, boringly slow. Speed will come but you must earn it!

When you become tired of all those bull's eyes, move the target out to 7 meters and start over. See above. ^

This really works for my students, let me know if it helps you.

cane
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-06-2011 at 12:10 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,947
Liked 7137 Times on 4296 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Try this;
  • Start at 5 meters (~15')
  • Grip gun with isometric resistance right to left hand. Push with strong side and pull with weak side. [You are shooting two hand, right?] Start out easy and experiment by applying different (but equal fore and aft isometric) pressure's until it starts working. (read: hits on point of aim.)
  • I know this is going to confuse you even more but....with your two hand purchase (squeeze) relax your strong side (trigger hand) 'squeeze' and tighten your weak side until you have a 10% delta. The gun should be held 60% with the weak side purchase and 40% strong side. This relaxes the trigger finger.
Now for the training. Each time you fill the sight with target, but just before you pull the loud switch, ask yourself;
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Do i have good isometric balance? (push to pull)
  • Does my weak side hand have control of the 'squeeze'?
  • Is my trigger finger relaxed and properly on the trigger?
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Start the pull and ALWAYS have the trigger break surprize you. (let it happen, don't "make" it happen) This is your "follow through".
Trigger pull MUST be;
  1. Deliberate
  2. Linear in pressure
This is training, NOT a race. Go slow, boringly slow. Speed will come but you must earn it!

When you become tired of all those bull's eyes, move the target out to 7 meters and start over. See above. ^

This really works for my students, let me know if it helps you.

cane
Thank you so much for this. This is a great thread and there is information here I didn't even know to ask about.

Great thanks to the OP and thanks to all who answered.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus

Last edited by canebrake; 05-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 4
Default Breaking wrist down

I frequently catch myself breaking my wrist to point the barrel down a tad just as I'm squeezing the trigger. Anyone know a cure?

__________________
teamshrink is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The left is after your guns rjgnwdc The Club House 9 04-13-2011 08:16 PM