Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   I'm high left (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/im-high-left-42155/)

cjbubbadoc 05-06-2011 02:00 AM

I'm high left

My history, in 1994 I qualified with a 1911 for the Navy. It wasn't challenge, but since that time I've put about 6 rounds down range. I am now trying to become more consistant with where the round lands. Today I put 24 rounds to paper, 10 were in the 6 inch circle the rest were high left. Is this from recoil anticipation, stance, or just not relaxing into the shot? Any input, suggestions, or advice is welcome. I'll try anything once or twice.

lonyaeger 05-06-2011 02:05 AM

A lot of people go by this:

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Shooting/Target_chart.gif

Dillinger 05-06-2011 02:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This might help. :D

canebrake 05-06-2011 02:09 AM

Are you shooting right handed? (Strong side right?) I assume you are with high left hits.

At what distance? (new shooters should ALWAYS start close, it's the only advantage you can give them for success besides proper caliber selection)

Do you shoot any other handguns? (just looking for bad habits)

lonyaeger 05-06-2011 02:13 AM

oops, forgot the ambidextrous approach, sorry :o

cjbubbadoc 05-06-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 499290)
Are you shooting right handed? (Strong side right?) I assume you are with high left hits.

At what distance? (new shooters should ALWAYS start close, it's the only advantage you can give them for success besides proper caliber selection)

Do you shoot any other handguns? (just looking for bad habits)

right handed, 25 feet and 40 feet. Not yet, I only own the one. I feel that any spread is operator error at this point.

cjbubbadoc 05-06-2011 02:22 AM

pushing or no follow through seems to be my problem, probably tense at brake. Just need to let the pistol work.

canebrake 05-06-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbubbadoc (Post 499298)
right handed, 25 feet and 40 feet. Not yet, I only own the one. I feel that any spread is operator error at this point.

Try this;
  • Start at 5 meters (~15')
  • Grip gun with isometric resistance right to left hand. Push with strong side and pull with weak side. [You are shooting two hand, right?] Start out easy and experiment by applying different (but equal fore and aft isometric) pressure's until it starts working. (read: hits on point of aim.)
  • I know this is going to confuse you even more but....with your two hand purchase (squeeze) relax your strong side (trigger hand) 'squeeze' and tighten your weak side until you have a 10% delta. The gun should be held 60% with the weak side purchase and 40% strong side. This relaxes the trigger finger.
Now for the training. Each time you fill the sight with target, but just before you pull the loud switch, ask yourself;
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Do i have good isometric balance? (push to pull)
  • Does my weak side hand have control of the 'squeeze'?
  • Is my trigger finger relaxed and properly on the trigger?
  • Start the pull and ALWAYS have the trigger break surprize you. (let it happen, don't "make" it happen) This is your "follow through".
Trigger pull MUST be;
  1. Deliberate
  2. Linear in pressure
This is training, NOT a race. Go slow, boringly slow. Speed will come but you must earn it!

When you become tired of all those bull's eyes, move the target out to 7 meters and start over. See above. ^

This really works for my students, let me know if it helps you.

cane

winds-of-change 05-06-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 499435)
Try this;
  • Start at 5 meters (~15')
  • Grip gun with isometric resistance right to left hand. Push with strong side and pull with weak side. [You are shooting two hand, right?] Start out easy and experiment by applying different (but equal fore and aft isometric) pressure's until it starts working. (read: hits on point of aim.)
  • I know this is going to confuse you even more but....with your two hand purchase (squeeze) relax your strong side (trigger hand) 'squeeze' and tighten your weak side until you have a 10% delta. The gun should be held 60% with the weak side purchase and 40% strong side. This relaxes the trigger finger.
Now for the training. Each time you fill the sight with target, but just before you pull the loud switch, ask yourself;
  • Do i have good isometric balance? (push to pull)
  • Does my weak side hand have control of the 'squeeze'?
  • Is my trigger finger relaxed and properly on the trigger?
  • Start the pull and ALWAYS have the trigger break surprize you. (let it happen, don't "make" it happen) This is your "follow through".
Trigger pull MUST be;
  1. Deliberate
  2. Linear in pressure
This is training, NOT a race. Go slow, boringly slow. Speed will come but you must earn it!

When you become tired of all those bull's eyes, move the target out to 7 meters and start over. See above. ^

This really works for my students, let me know if it helps you.

cane

Thank you so much for this. This is a great thread and there is information here I didn't even know to ask about.

Great thanks to the OP and thanks to all who answered.

teamshrink 05-10-2011 08:28 PM

Breaking wrist down

I frequently catch myself breaking my wrist to point the barrel down a tad just as I'm squeezing the trigger. Anyone know a cure?