Illinois girlscouts learn to shoot. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Illinois girlscouts learn to shoot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Guys, Rome is burning and you are arguing over what tune to play on the fiddle!

Celebrate this positive firearm press release and see if there is something you can do in your home town.

Just think what the little nobomaites will say when they run into a safety trained, positive firearm attitude girl scout on the play ground!

This is brilliant!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #12

Thats a good point. Any positive news is good, and getting a whole troop shooting is really outstanding! No questions about it.

My concern is mainly getting the girls out to the range and shooting REGULARLY. Handgun below 18 years of age is dicey, because:

http://www.lcav.org/content/minimum_age_purchase_possess.pdf

"Federal law...prohibits possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition...under 18

Federal law provides no minimum age for possession of long guns or long gun ammunition"

Of course, there are often state laws too, but in general a long gun is something a teenager can have and take to the gun range for target practice or the forest in back of the house for hunting.

Also, teenagers nowadays want some instant gratification. It is hard to hit a target with a pistol, and relatively easy to do so with a rifle. It seems that starting with the rifle, getting them hooked, and later graduating to pistol is the thing to do.

I recently coached a teenager, and she had some real trouble figuring out the correct sight picture for iron sights on a pistol. But she picked up the iron sights on the rifle just fine. I think they are just a little more stable, and require less concentration.

Opinions vary, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #13

It's so nice to read some good news!

Check out today's blog:

Why I DON'T recommend a Stun Gun for Self-Defense

http://www.womenofcaliber.wordpress.com

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Guys, Rome is burning and you are arguing over what tune to play on the fiddle!

Celebrate this positive firearm press release and see if there is something you can do in your home town.

Just think what the little nobomaites will say when they run into a safety trained, positive firearm attitude girl scout on the play ground!

This is brilliant!
Quoted for the Truth right there.....

Concentrate on the positive - We have another 3.85 years to be beat over the head into negative appeasement.

JD

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #15

Thanks to all. I AM trying to find and use positive rays of light. Especially here in occupied Illinois. This state has a culture of corruption and some of the highest taxes in the nation. We have a mayor in Chicago that blames everything from traffic jams to snowstorms on guns and we need to build a prison wing just for our governors. Don't forget where our president and his gangster pals are from either. I will continue to fight the good fight any way I can.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanz View Post
Thats a good point. Any positive news is good, and getting a whole troop shooting is really outstanding! No questions about it.
My concern is mainly getting the girls out to the range and shooting REGULARLY. Handgun below 18 years of age is dicey, because:
http://www.lcav.org/content/minimum_age_purchase_possess.pdf
"Federal law...prohibits possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition...under 18
Federal law provides no minimum age for possession of long guns or long gun ammunition"
Of course, there are often state laws too, but in general a long gun is something a teenager can have and take to the gun range for target practice or the forest in back of the house for hunting.
Also, teenagers nowadays want some instant gratification. It is hard to hit a target with a pistol, and relatively easy to do so with a rifle. It seems that starting with the rifle, getting them hooked, and later graduating to pistol is the thing to do.
I recently coached a teenager, and she had some real trouble figuring out the correct sight picture for iron sights on a pistol. But she picked up the iron sights on the rifle just fine. I think they are just a little more stable, and require less concentration.
Opinions vary, though.
I agree with you in general but all new shooters need to be introduced to the handgun. If the objective is to provide education, safety and ultimately personal defense the handgun is the firearm of choice.

I find that sight picture as the single most difficult skill to instill in a new shooter. A difficult subject yes, but if approached properly, one that can be taught in a rather short time. Best done using handguns with modern sights.

Your comment on instant gratification is well made! With that in mind you MUST start the new shooter off at close range. This is much easier at an indoor range which provides a small amount of privacy.

I started my daughter at ~3M or 10 feet. Success breeds success! We started with my 1914 Mauser in 32 ACP. She was bored after one mag. Let’s face it, the 32 is used to piss-off assailants rather than drop them! She put three of the seven rounds on paper. This was during my sight picture training.

She wanted to shoot something else so I mover her up to my G22. Shooting with modern sights she took to sight shooting well. She shot ~20 rounds and then watched me shoot my 5” Government 45 ACP and it was game over!

She wanted to shoot the Colt! I walked her through the Colt’s safety differences then loaded one round in the mag just to be safe. I told her that any hit inside the bottle outline would stop the BG. I did not tell her where to shoot! I am not setting this up; this photo was her first shot using my Colt Government! Yes I know the slide isn't locked back, this pic was taken as she started to shoot with a fresh mag. Just look at that great grip!

Second go a round was two rounds shot double-tap!

These three hits are not only her shooting but the first three shots using a 45 ACP! I'm feeling a little easier about her and boyfriends! This is after only 50 rounds shot with the 40 S&W! When I saw she was a natural shooting the glock I taught her double tap. For a 17 year old she has her head screwed on tight! A fast learner and a political conservative! That's my daughter Mari-Kate!

I will be posting a range report on her first shooting experience. Watch out guys she could give your ego a good thumpin'!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Spoken like a true proud papa, Cane!

Look at that lovely young lady's ear-to-ear smile!

If a date comes to pick her up at the house, you could have her sitting and cleaning a firearm. I'll bet that would make a longer lasting impression than you cleaning a gun when the date comes calling!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Cute kid cane
Lucky man

Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #19

Thanks guys! What I need to do is get her dates to see her like this:

Instead of this;

- orangello

Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

You have problems on the way, Cane. I'm just glad that I have a son. All I gotta worry about is the boy keeping his pecker in his pants...and that's a few years away. Good for you for having a good relationship with her, otherwise you'd have gangstas asking her out.

I'm tellin' ya, when the date comes by, have her sitting there cleaning a firearm. Send her out smelling like gun oil and solvent. That will make a guy rethink his plan for the evening.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!