Illinois girlscouts learn to shoot.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Illinois girlscouts learn to shoot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Illinois girlscouts learn to shoot.

Girl scout troop 91 of New Lenox, Il (my home) contacted the Allied Illinois Markswomen, and one of their NRA certified instructors came out and held a safety course for eight of the scouts at a nearby Sportsman's club. The girls then got to fire 10 shots from different .22 cal. pistols at paper targets. It was well recieved. I'm real proud of troop 91. My own daughter has been knockin' down pins with a .357 since she was 14. The full newspaper article can be read at newlenoxpatriot.com Much thanks to the Allied Illinois Markswomen for donating their time and the use of range, guns and ammunition to Troop 91 !!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

That's a nice newspeice for a change, thanks.

I actually learned to shoot 22 riflles and archery at a YMCA summer camp when I was about ten. I'll bet that's not PC these days.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #3

Well, thats nice.

A more practical thing would have been to let them shoot some bolt action 22 rifles, and get good enough at it to want to come back and learn more. The loud noise from the pistols, and the girl's inability to score well on accuracy with them, probably only scared them off on their first time out.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good. The more young people that are properly introduced to firearms, the better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Spanz, The girls shot Successfully and were proud to bring home their targets. One of them even said, "I have found my sport, and can't wait to do this again". How loud is a .22 pistol with headphones on anyway? Excited not scared, I'd say.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

get a clue. They would be MUCH happier with learning how to fire something they can control accurately. Also, they would be much happier being trained on somethng they can own and fire on their own. Not too many girlscouts are going to be able to buy a handgun for themselves.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They were introduced to handguns, they fired .22 pistols, they had fun.

Spanz, I don't get your attitude. If it's such a big deal to you, offer your services to the Girl Scouts in your area and do things your way.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes let's not nit-pick here. The girls were introduced to firearms safety and had fun, that's all that matters here.

In the thirteen years I have been teaching hunter safety I have been privileged to teach many young people shooting skills as well as safety. As long as you don't over-gun a child, therefore hurt them, they all leave with smiles on their faces. Any 22 cal. firearm is a good starting point for any child or new shooter.

On field day we use .22 cal, 410 cal shotguns, 20ga. shotguns, and for the older students we will let them shoot 12 ga. auto loaders if they are so inclined.

The worst thing you can do to a new shooter of any age is hurt them with too much gun.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanz View Post
get a clue. They would be MUCH happier with learning how to fire something they can control accurately. Also, they would be much happier being trained on somethng they can own and fire on their own. Not too many girlscouts are going to be able to buy a handgun for themselves.

There is nothing to look down on about this, mr.negative. How many girlscouts can go buy a bolt-action or any firearm for that matter?

This is a positive firearm experience they will take into their adulthood. My fiance' recounts shooting with her grandfather when she was a little girl as a positive and fun experience. They will grow up and hopefully become advocates for the 2nd A!!

Good for their leadership for having the insight to 'pass the baton'.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I remember doing something similar (though not in the girl scouts, seeing as I am a male). my old rod and gun club had youth day. we would fish in an overcrowded pond and two people would catch something, then we would eat, have a raffle and hit the range. We had a rifle shoot (50 meters with single shot .22s) then the skeet shoot, which i usually won. These types of things hooked me on shooting and the outdoors in general