Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

We can banter back and forth about what level of force or what lengths we'll go to, to help our fellow man/woman in a time of dire need, in the end, it is still our God given (whether you want it or not) responsibility.

Fine, honk the horn, dial 911, yell, scream, flash your lights, but DO Something!!!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Last edited by eatmydust; 07-09-2013 at 09:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #82
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2067 Times on 1425 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
We can banter back and forth about what level of force or what lengths we'll go to, to help our fellow man/woman in a time of dire need, in the end, it is still our God given (whether you want it or not) responsibility.

Fine, honk the horn, dial 911, yell, scream, flash your lights, but DO Something!!!
call me foolish, but I agree...if you don't do SOMETHING, you shouldn't be able to look yourself in the mirror!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #83
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1096 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
There are always actions that can be taken but they arent often coming in like Walker, Texas Ranger. Domestic disputes are very often more volatile than robbery and other assaults; all the sudden you turn around and your the criminal the grieving wife is accusing of killing her one love in this world and all you did was save her life.

We dont get retakes if it goes wrong. The Ifs, but's and maybe's of non specific instances are likely too numerous to consider usefully. In the end, situational awareness is the biggest factor in how I will react to anything.
Domestic violence or domestic dispute calls are a completely separate issue. They are a completely different beast altogether. Unless one spouse is actually killing the other quickly, best thing you can do is tell them police are on the way. Webley is absolutely right - if anything happens to one, the spouse will claim it was completely unnecessary because they were just having a "discussion," and 9 times out of 10 neither will press charges against each other,but they will file against a helpful citizen in a second. Also, it's important to be aware of possible same sex unions that can fall into this category.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #84
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1031 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
If you where driving down the street or shopping and you witness a homeless man getting beat kicked spit and getting hurt what would you do? You are a legal ccw owner, how would you handle the situation? I was watching a tv showed called what would you do, they used actors and it was all an experiment to see what bystanders would do. One experiment was with a rubber fake bat as a weapon and the other they were unarmedNone of the bystanders had firearms but say if you did and you legally own and carry one what would you do? Would you mind your buisness and let someone else handle the situation? Would you intervene? Would you unholster your weapon and ask them to walk away then call the police? Would you be mr hero and point your gun at them and attempt to aresst then? Would you just keep walking and ignore it and pretend you didnt see it? Please tell me what you would do if this situation ever happens atleast we would know what the majority of us that carry firearms would do share what you would do and why please
Depends. How many are doing the beating, and how many friends, who know what they are doing, do I have with me? Either way, a call to 911 is the first priority. i have stepped into 4 on 1 beatdowns in the past, so either way, I will interceed, but that doesn't mean I won't want or need backup. Also keep in mind that pulling my EDC is brandishing here in NY unless I am threatened with deadly force directly, and I am legally obligated to stand down if I can. We don't have "stand your ground" or "Make my day" laws here, and the castle doctrine does not apply, even in our homes.

Would I get involved? Yes. Would I get arrested and charged? Probably. Would I be able to look my reflection in the eyes afterwards?

You bet your azz I would.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #85
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1031 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Domestic violence or domestic dispute calls are a completely separate issue. They are a completely different beast altogether. Unless one spouse is actually killing the other quickly, best thing you can do is tell them police are on the way. Webley is absolutely right - if anything happens to one, the spouse will claim it was completely unnecessary because they were just having a "discussion," and 9 times out of 10 neither will press charges against each other,but they will file against a helpful citizen in a second. Also, it's important to be aware of possible same sex unions that can fall into this category.
My BIL has a lifetime ban from the Safeway in Montery CA for getting in the midle of a domestic dispute. He saw a guy punch his wife in one of the isles, and proceeded to beat the everlovin' sh!t out of the guy. Still doesn't bother him that he had to shop elsewhere. He would do it again in a heartbeat. Some folks just need an azz kicking.

On the other side of the coin, Imy governent and economics teacher in high shool got involed in a domestic dispute while stationed in Norfolk. After knocking the husband out cold, he got a brick to the side of his head, courtesy of the wife, for his intervention. just something to keep in mind before getting involved.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #86

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Deadly force use of a firearm is a final decision. Can you access a situation and then proceed by shooting someone? What if this Homeless person{How do you know he is homeless?} has just raped the other persons wife? You lacked understanding of the discourse and just started shooting.
I think you might end up in a "Zimerman" like trial.
My first thought was "And what's the possibility I would wind up like

Zimmerman..."

Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #87

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

How many civilian gun owners are trained to take control of a violent situation? The civilian gun owner is allowed to protect himself and family. When you interject your self into an unknown confrontation you are taking on a very big liability. Like it or not our police are trained to handle these problems. Many officers encounter these problems through out their careers. These same officers often retire without ever drawing their service weapon.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #88

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i am no hero by a long shot, but whether i were armed or not, i can't just stand by and allow someone to terrorize or assault another defenceless person. it's just not in my nature. i would do whatever i had to, to defend another person. i would also inform LE as soon as possible.

i couldn't look myself in the mirror knowing i walked by and didn't at least try to help another person. i have been known to stick my nose into business that wasn't mine before and i suspect i would do so again.
Man I'm with you. I can't stand hearing all these stories where so and so was beaten or raped or mugged while tons of people looked on but no one helped. I'm sick of this "me me me" society. I'll do whatever I have to do in that type of situation. I would first tell him to stop. If that doesn't work, I would make sure he got a good look at the weapon, and make it very clear that if he did not stop, it is very likely going to end in his ultimate demise. If that doesn't stop him, or if he directs his violence towards myself, shots are being fired. If I'm not mistaken, self defense laws extend to the self defense of others if they do not have the ability or means to defend themselves.

Moral of my story is...I think I'd sleep better in a jail cell knowing a did the right thing than I would in my own bed knowing I should have helped but was too big of a coward.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 07-22-2013 at 04:19 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #89

Liked 214 Times on 133 Posts

I'd call the police,I have no interest in other people's domestic problems. I may try and divert attention away from the victim verbally,but im not going to psychically intervene.

When I took my HCP class the instructor,a local sheriffs lieutenant,pulled up two stories of how this went bad for people who chose to physically stick their nose in someone's business.

1 was where a man was beating the **** out of his SO and the guy went over and got into an altercation in defense of the woman,when the police got their they were both stomping him into the asphalt and they had to pick his hair out if the woman's shoes,he did not live to regret his choice.

Another was when a HCP holder shot a man who appeared to be in the process of stabbing his GF,they both had blood on them and the man was holding the knife like he was stabbing her,he shot and killed the guy. Security Camaras revealed that the man had just pulled the knife out of his chest that the woman had just lodged in him (he was breaking up with her,abd it was a if i cabt have you no one will type deal) a second before the HCP holder looked at the dispute.

Last edited by Jstrong; 07-22-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #90

Liked 625 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Default What to do..???

Reading this thread I can honestly say there are to many scenarios and variables TO those individual situations to give a definitive answer....
I will however state that my upmost priority would be my own safety and that of my companions whether they be friends and/or family in tow. I also realize that should I ever be forced to use my piece that I will be holding the power of LIFE & DEATH in my hands.... and whatever decision I make at that point will in all likelihood have long term repercussions and I will have to live with whatever outcome happens.... and yes, George Zimmerman does come to mind.