If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #61
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Driving up on a scene that you didnt see play out and dont know the entire story can give false impressions and cause ones emotions to override their capabilities or insight. Snap Judgement based on little or no background isnt a great imputus for becoming involved one on 2! The wrong move can create more victims, you being one of them. All cases being different, this one as described would cause me to dial 911, take a quick picture with my smart phone, stay back and illuminate the scene with my headlights if at night, honk my horn, scream out the window and keep the motor running. The only barrier between you and the unknown is distance and speed, in your car, you have the upper hand; on foot, your just another victim in the making.

Thats my call on this situation, not all situations but this one as described. We learned in the military that situational awareness is key to survival, the more you know- the less risk you take in formulating and executing a reaction and the more likely you are to have a positive effect on a questionable situation.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #62

Liked 388 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Deadly force use of a firearm is a final decision. Can you access a situation and then proceed by shooting someone? What if this Homeless person{How do you know he is homeless?} has just raped the other persons wife? You lacked understanding of the discourse and just started shooting.
I think you might end up in a "Zimerman" like trial.
+1. And as someone mentioned earlier, would you intervene if you weren't armed? Might be different where you live, but here the only correct answer when applying for a concealed pistol license is personal protection. The scenario played out here and in past similar threads don't fit under that umbrella. It would stick in my throat for a long time, human nature says jump in, but I'm calling 911, period. If the attacker comes after me, that changes everything. As it's laid out here, no. I know this leaves me wide open to the "What if it was you" crowd, but there it is.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #63
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
When I took my CC class we were instructed that we were not allowed to use any more force then the person being attacked.

Simply stated, if its hand to hand, use hands.
If it were sticks, use sticks. If it were guns then use your gun. Legally we were/are empowered to use no more force then the victim(if who the actual victim is is clear, the apparent victim could have been the aggressor). We've recently adopted the castle laws/doctrine and I'm unsure if or how this my have affected this scenario.
Use extreme caution when becoming toooooo involved. We are all human and our instincts, protection or preservation are strong, just be wise.
You don't say where you are located, so I'm not sure if this a regional or state limitation, but that is not what we were taught. Our class was through a Police Training Facility in California.

Anyone legally allowed to defend themselves can choose to go one step above their attacker on the Force Continuum to affect an end to the conflict. Also, totality of circumstance and prevailing law must be taken into account. Disparate size and conditioning may be considered, as well as number of attackers. For example, a 60-year-old, 95-pound woman may use more than one step of force against a 23-year-old 210-pound body builder who is threatening her. Depending on laws in your area, a group of attackers (in California, three or more) allows the victim to treat all of the group as armed, whether a weapon is seen or not, for the purpose of escalation of force.

This is a very complex subject, and there are many things to be taken into account, such as totality of circumstances and the rationality test that a jury uses. But in most cases a person is allowed to escalate force to overcome an attack and need not limit their armament to only what the attacker uses.

When in doubt, consult local law enforcement or your attorney.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #64

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

You don't say where you are located, so I'm not sure if this a regional or state limitation, but that is not what we were taught. Our class was through a Police Training Facility in California.

Anyone legally allowed to defend themselves can choose to go one step above their attacker on the Force Continuum to affect an end to the conflict. Also, totality of circumstance and prevailing law must be taken into account. Disparate size and conditioning may be considered, as well as number of attackers. For example, a 60-year-old, 95-pound woman may use more than one step of force against a 23-year-old 210-pound body builder who is threatening her. Depending on laws in your area, a group of attackers (in California, three or more) allows the victim to treat all of the group as armed, whether a weapon is seen or not, for the purpose of escalation of force.

This is a very complex subject, and there are many things to be taken into account, such as totality of circumstances and the rationality test that a jury uses. But in most cases a person is allowed to escalate force to overcome an attack and need not limit their armament to only what the attacker uses.

When in doubt, consult local law enforcement or your attorney.
I'm in NC, our instructor kept things very simple, I agree this is a VERY complex 'what if' scenario indeed. I'm by no means an expert on the laws here in NC..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #65

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
If you where driving down the street or shopping and you witness a homeless man getting beat kicked spit and getting hurt what would you do? You are a legal ccw owner, how would you handle the situation? I was watching a tv showed called what would you do, they used actors and it was all an experiment to see what bystanders would do. One experiment was with a rubber fake bat as a weapon and the other they were unarmedNone of the bystanders had firearms but say if you did and you legally own and carry one what would you do? Would you mind your buisness and let someone else handle the situation? Would you intervene? Would you unholster your weapon and ask them to walk away then call the police? Would you be mr hero and point your gun at them and attempt to aresst then? Would you just keep walking and ignore it and pretend you didnt see it? Please tell me what you would do if this situation ever happens atleast we would know what the majority of us that carry firearms would do share what you would do and why please
Call 911... There is no reason to pull your weapon. You are legally bound to anything that happens with it. Unless you, your wife, son, or daughter was in mortal danger then that maybe a different story.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #66
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

I think one of the major problems with today's society is the willingness to look away when somebody else is in need. I think this rates well above many other issues that people blame for the decline of American society (I will not list the others for fear that will derail this thread).

Why is it that we have to be related to the victim before we can wade in and offer assistance without fear that we will be vilified and prosecuted for our actions? Why have we gotten to this point where it is "safer" to call 911 and not get involved?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 07-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I think one of the major problems with today's society is the willingness to look away when somebody else is in need. I think this rates well above many other issues that people blame for the decline of American society (I will not list the others for fear that will derail this thread).

Why is it that we have to be related to the victim before we can wade in and offer assistance without fear that we will be vilified and prosecuted for our actions? Why have we gotten to this point where it is "safer" to call 911 and not get involved?
Fear..
Fear of being sued, fear of being jailed, fear of being killed..
Fear.

DISCE PATI

People Like This 
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #68
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Fear..
Fear of being sued, fear of being jailed, fear of being killed..
Fear.
That is a tragedy. One should not fear from the repercussions of helping another person.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

That is a tragedy. One should not fear from the repercussions of helping another person.
Agreed, 100%!!!!!

DISCE PATI

Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #70

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Agreed! 110%