Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Deadly force use of a firearm is a final decision. Can you access a situation and then proceed by shooting someone? What if this Homeless person{How do you know he is homeless?} has just raped the other persons wife? You lacked understanding of the discourse and just started shooting.
I think you might end up in a "Zimerman" like trial.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1123 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i am no hero by a long shot, but whether i were armed or not, i can't just stand by and allow someone to terrorize or assault another defenceless person. it's just not in my nature. i would do whatever i had to, to defend another person. i would also inform LE as soon as possible.

i couldn't look myself in the mirror knowing i walked by and didn't at least try to help another person. i have been known to stick my nose into business that wasn't mine before and i suspect i would do so again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
what would you want someone to risk if it was you being attacked?

if you are worried about the legal aspects, and what is politically correct, rather what is moral and ethical to do, than you have moved to the side of the liberals.

personally, i would risk the legal consquences to save another person's life or welfare. damn the politicians and damn the lawyers!

i am not hero, but i'll be damned if i could just walk past and not do something if it were within my power to do so. i place too high a value on human life to just stand by and do nothing. a person could have died by the times the cops show up. stepping in may be the difference between life or death.
Kudos! And Ditto.

Only referring to my state laws, but when you hold a CCW, you are allowed to defend yourself, your family, or any third party that can legally defend themselves. This means you cannot defend a felon in the commission of a crime while a shopkeeper defends against the attack, but an obviously defenseless homeless person as the victim of an assault with a deadly weapon I am allowed to defend, and I will. I am not "playing hero," as the asswipe perpetrating the attack is simply practicing on the homeless guy. In a week or two, he will be willing to attack me with that bat, then a knife, then a gun. I would call LEOs ASAP and tell them its a crime in progress, I was armed, and I am going to defend the homeless guy and myself or he is going to die. Not too many young, healthy people can take multiple hits from a baseball bat and live to tell about it. If I wait for LEO's, I might as well just walk on and ignore it - same effect, homeless guy dead, me alive and BG still on the streets.

No, I do not have a duty to engage, but just like Axxe, my humanity and dignity won't let me ignore it. I will choose to do what is right over what is politically correct every day and twice on Sundays.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 920 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984

That's not necessarily the case anymore. There's a lot of people who sooner or not they're more worried about being tough and fearless than being alive. reputation on the street has become more important than life to way to many people
You make a good point there. Like I say though if they're going to come at me then I'm going to defend myself.

Hopefully if you take the right steps the police will be there in enough time to dissolve the situation. Where I live the police can literally be somewhere in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by pawjr74; 07-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1123 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Deadly force use of a firearm is a final decision. Can you access a situation and then proceed by shooting someone? What if this Homeless person{How do you know he is homeless?} has just raped the other persons wife? You lacked understanding of the discourse and just started shooting.
I think you might end up in a "Zimerman" like trial.
It's totality of circumstance. Unless he's currently in the act of raping his wife, he has no grounds (in my state) to beat him to death. A husband angry at a rapist or her boy toy does not need to keep hitting him after I yell to stop and inform him police are on the way. Just like defending myself, he makes the choice whether this all ends amicably or he takes rounds.

After a command to STOP is given, the BG determines how it ends. I do not wish to shoot, but I will not let anyone be bludgeoned to death. My choice is for police to arrive and straighten he whole thing out.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2080 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Default Been there

I was there. Riding home on the NYC subway from Lower Manhattan to the North East Bronx, coming from a second Job doing rest. security for a well known NYC chain(McCanns). train makes first stop in the Bronx(149th St. & Grand councorse) 2 drunk girls get on train and walk just past me to sit at the end of the Car nearest a platform side door. Train makes next stop. After second stop, 4 guys enter car(also very drunk...carrying one of them between two shoulders). they clearly Knew the Girls,..and began to sling vulgar comments & one of the guys exposes himself and tells the girls "do This" One Girl tells him to F off. He slaps Girl. this is now going on for several mins. and we get three stops closer to the next terminal station, which also happens to be BX. HQ of the Transit Police(years later I would find out my FIL was Night shift Commander at the time!) Finally I have had enough. I tell the guys to Kock it off and go sit in another car. They tell me there going to throw me a beating along with the two sluts. I brush back my NY Giants Jacket to reveal Mr. Combat Commander and cooly say "if you think you can outrun 200 Grains Of .45 Hollow Point,..bring it.
Jerk-offs decide to leave. Girls Stay on train remaining 3 stops to 180th St. where Police are waiting,..I get off the train with them, Identify myself and show my (at that time) CC permit for NYC and my Job ID,...Cops take my statement and i'm free to go,..Girls get a ride home from Cops,..GD knows what happend after that....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #26

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

When you make a decision to use deadly force during a street confrontation after yelling "Stop"? Then the question will ultimately be who is the bad guy?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #27

Liked 80 Times on 63 Posts

Even if i wasnt armed with a gun i would say stop and call the police. the only reason i would want a firearm is for reassurance of my own safety if they have a knife or a bat i would need to defend my life and i will do whatever i can to survive but either way armed or not armed i would still at least try and stop the violent act.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Yes. I would intervene. Call 911 first, then demand the aggressor stop. Keep connected to 911 if possible. Notify I am armed and will use force if he does not back away. Never get within striking distance.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1723 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
If you where driving down the street or shopping and you witness a homeless man getting beat kicked spit and getting hurt what would you do? You are a legal ccw owner, how would you handle the situation? I was watching a tv showed called what would you do, they used actors and it was all an experiment to see what bystanders would do. One experiment was with a rubber fake bat as a weapon and the other they were unarmedNone of the bystanders had firearms but say if you did and you legally own and carry one what would you do? Would you mind your buisness and let someone else handle the situation? Would you intervene? Would you unholster your weapon and ask them to walk away then call the police? Would you be mr hero and point your gun at them and attempt to aresst then? Would you just keep walking and ignore it and pretend you didnt see it? Please tell me what you would do if this situation ever happens atleast we would know what the majority of us that carry firearms would do share what you would do and why please
Your question can't be answered without knowing your state and local laws.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Call 911, then do whatever it takes to protect your fellow man. It may or may not be your legal duty or civil duty, but it is your God directed duty to your fellow man or woman! You atheists are off the hook here, go have a nice day and God bless you.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This