Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #201
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I have been in a similar situation. A friend that I knew well was being beaten by three bikers. I didn't get involved with the fight. But the fight did stop when I crushed three pretty Harley Davidson's with a 1968 Chevrolet truck. My friends face was broken up so badly it had to be put back together with metal plates and wire. I went to court and testified. I admitted to trashing the motorcycles. The judge decided it was a civil matter and made no ruling. All three went to prison and have forgiven me for my actions. I would actually do the same thing for them. We all have known each other since grade school.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #202
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have been in a similar situation. A friend that I knew well was being beaten by three bikers. I didn't get involved with the fight. But the fight did stop when I crushed three pretty Harley Davidson's with a 1968 Chevrolet truck. My friends face was broken up so badly it had to be put back together with metal plates and wire. I went to court and testified. I admitted to trashing the motorcycles. The judge decided it was a civil matter and made no ruling. All three went to prison and have forgiven me for my actions. I would actually do the same thing for them. We all have known each other since grade school.
True 'bikers' care more about their bikes than their women or anything else! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!!!
This is exactly what I meant when I said there are too many variables to say exactly what you will do in this hypothetical situation!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #203

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

What would you do if he ignores you and continued his violent attack on the victim?????
I'd shoot him. In my state you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #204
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer88 View Post
I'd shoot him. In my state you can use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony.
You mean you would intervene with physical force. If the criminal was a 13 year old 5 ft tall and 80 lbs 'booting' an unconscious drunk in the head (this is deadly force, boots to the head) you would probably be less inclined to use 'lethal' physical force than if the criminal was a 6 ft 6 in 280 lb male.
The point I have been trying to get across on this threat is there is way to many variables to say just how you would respond, except to say you would intervene to stop the attack. But if you decide to intervene you had better be armed to protect yourself, and if necessary the victim or there is high probability you to will just become another victim.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Balota Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #205
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 879 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Quote:
What would you do if he ignores you and continued his violent attack on the victim?????
I know what "I" would do!

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #206

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

You mean you would intervene with physical force. If the criminal was a 13 year old 5 ft tall and 80 lbs 'booting' an unconscious drunk in the head (this is deadly force, boots to the head) you would probably be less inclined to use 'lethal' physical force than if the criminal was a 6 ft 6 in 280 lb male.
The point I have been trying to get across on this threat is there is way to many variables to say just how you would respond, except to say you would intervene to stop the attack. But if you decide to intervene you had better be armed to protect yourself, and if necessary the victim or there is high probability you to will just become another victim.

Well yes. If I could stop it without shooting I would. But I'd pull the trigger to save a life if I had too.

I'd rather go to court than live with myself for Having done nothing.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #207
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If someone is getting beat or hurt and I'm armed what would I do?
Hmmm, laugh at them for not having a gun and say "See, I told you there are only two types of people, gun owners and victims.Which are you???"

J/k

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #208

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
If someone is getting beat or hurt and I'm armed what would I do?
Hmmm, laugh at them for not having a gun and say "See, I told you there are only two types of people, gun owners and victims.Which are you???"

J/k
Like it's been said (far more eloquently than I can BTW..) "Too many variables to answer decisively"....
But in a nutshell... Does the sheepdog sit by and laugh at the sheep when a wolf shows up ??? ...or do they intervene and wait for the shepherd to come ???
...If you decide to carry concealed you have to face the facts of conscience that in someway and sometimes it might not be just about you and your safety. I couldn't live with myself, or face the family of a victim, if I knew I had to power to stop an obvious assault on an innocent..... and did nothing.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #209

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I am a bit late to this post, and admit, I did not read all the replies.

First off, as stated above, too many variables. How do you know the 'homeless' guy is homeless?

Could one of them be an undercover police officer?

As a wise, in my opinion, shooting instructor told me, his whole goal is to defend himself, and his loved ones. If he just rolled up on this scenario that the OP described, cleared leather and interjected himself into something he knows nothing about, this could prevent him from providing for, and protecting his family in the future.

To answer the OP, I would park nearby, call 911, be a good witness, and watch the situation, praying the police arrive quickly.

You can't take back lethal force once applied. Many see this as a callous attitude that I have, and I understand that. Not saying I would never intervene, even with deadly force to protect an innocent person.

I carry a gun to protect me and mine. As a Christian, and as a person, I would want to help a victim. But, if you don't know them, who is the real victim? How many beaten wives refuse to press charges, and even might testify against me at a trial? You can see that in COPS...

Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #210
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Ok wow. I had avoided this thread like the plague until last night. I finally decided to read through it.

I finally finished, and let me tell you, it was a ride. This thread went from a hypothetical situation to state laws to batons to grammar lectures to personal battles to TR to.. Geeze I don't even know.

For what it's worth, if anyone cares what my opinion is, which I'm sure no one does - I basically agree with Axxe55 and a few others. I would feel obligated to get involved in some manner. That doesn't necessarily involve a firearm. But it would involve yelling at the "attacker" and if that doesn't work attempting to physically separate the two individuals. Granted, I don't know all he facts of the situation, and in that regard I would of course use restraint. As soon as the attacker tries to hurt me, I will defend myself.

I am comfortable in my own physicality and training that I would be able to physically intervene, even if he had a baseball bat. I'm not saying I guarantee I would be successful. But the way I see it, the Corps has given me respectable training and I would feel obligated to act accordingly and attempt to de-escalate the situation. If my goal is de-escalation, honestly the totality of the situation doesn't matter. A husband beating his wife? It doesn't matter. Revenge? Doesn't matter. The background, history, reason this is happening, who the actual aggressor is, none of that matters to me. Because I am only trying to de-escalate the situation, and not necessarily with a firearm, until the police arrive. I forgot to say he first thing I would have done is called 911.

As stated, as soon as I have to defend my own life, all bets are off.

I'm sorry I bumped this thread. I felt obligated to post SOMETHING after the marathon of reading through it. And I realize I am just making it that much more difficult for the next guy that comes along to finish the thread. *shrug* There has been some good points of view presented here, though.

For the record, I suggest everyone who chooses to carry a firearm, and who is physically and financially able, to also get some basic martial arts training. The reason is several fold: first, it might open up your mind to the possibility that there are other avenues of defense aside from a firearm or a knife (and will help you to utilize said avenues); next, it will instill mental discipline which is handy for everything in life, but especially high stress situations; it might actually help in this hypothetical instance of knowing what exactly to do.

Sorry for the long response.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This