You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

If somebody is getting beat or hurt and your armed what would you do?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
antikythera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 48
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Has anyone seen the show "Who wants to be a Super Hero?" I believe that was the name of it..... It was hosted by Stan Lee and it was basically the same thing. In the first episode, they had a little girl crying that she wanted her mommy. Maybe two or 3 of the super hero contestants actually stopped to help the little girl. The one that spoke the most about helping those in need just strolled on by.
antikythera is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #122
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Has anyone seen the show "Who wants to be a Super Hero?" I believe that was the name of it..... It was hosted by Stan Lee and it was basically the same thing. In the first episode, they had a little girl crying that she wanted her mommy. Maybe two or 3 of the super hero contestants actually stopped to help the little girl. The one that spoke the most about helping those in need just strolled on by.
Mommies are superheroes in my book.
Vikingdad is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
antikythera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 48
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Mommies are superheroes in my book.

we try to be anyways
antikythera is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #124
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 5,594
Liked 4367 Times on 2642 Posts
Likes Given: 24183

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Mommies are superheroes in my book.
So very true. reminds me of a cross stitch my mother had at her shop.

" The stress that the average mother deals with in one day would leave the CEO of a major international company curled up in the corner, in a fetal position, in less than 15 minutes. " Unknown.
__________________
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.
kfox75 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #125
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 12,144
Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2208

Default

Back to the original post, "If somebody is getting beat...."

It helps is people would take a look at the state statutes as well as the ethics.

Florida addresses when justifiable Use of Force can be done.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2012&Title=%2D% 3E2012%2D%3EChapter%20776
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #126
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Back to the original post, "If somebody is getting beat...."

It helps is people would take a look at the state statutes as well as the ethics.

Florida addresses when justifiable Use of Force can be done.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2012&Title=%2D% 3E2012%2D%3EChapter%20776
What the statutes say and what I would do are not necessarily in agreement.
Vikingdad is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #127
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 12,144
Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2208

Default

That is true, but civil court charges could make reference to state statutes and the how disregard was applied.
__________________
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,883
Liked 1547 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

Default

What is right to do is largely dependent upon the immediate circumstances. Just because you see a guy punching somebody, you can't just assume that the guy who threw the punch is the bad guy. Maybe he's defending himself from a guy who attacked him. And just because a guy is winning a fight, that also doesn't mean he's the assailant. You really need to know what the circumstances are before you pick sides.
That being said, if it is clear what is going on, and I see somebody being brutalized I will (and have) step in to help the victim. But even being right can sometimes result in trouble.
One day I was driving past a shopping mall in Indianapolis, and saw 2 cars parked at the side of the 6-lane divided expressway. A man had a woman flat on her back, and was punching and kicking her. A crowd of "spectators" were watching but not interfering. I stopped, and went to her aid. As I approached, the man yelled "She's my wife!" Before he finished "wife" I laid him out with a well-placed punch. Then a friend of the lady, another lady, got her into a car and said she was taking her to the hospital. I called 911 and waited for the Sheriffs' deputies to come. A friend got the man into a car and they took off. When the deputies showed up, they read me the riot act for getting involved. Some stuff about how I could have been shot, and stuff about how I should have stayed out of it and let them (the deputies) handle it, badmouthing "vigilantes", etc. Never mind that the whole thing was over with 30 minutes before they showed up.
I have intervened a few other times, and will today if I see the need, but in general, it is apparent that LEO's resent anybody doing what they see as their job, even though they often arrive much too late to do anything but interview witnesses and write a report.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 07-30-2013 at 07:43 PM.
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #129
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i see LE as reactionary. they are called when something is happening or after the fact. but the fact is, they can't be everywhere at once, and they have the numbers stacked against them. what is the ratio of LEO's to the population of any give city or town? they are outnumbered.

i too have been cautioned about getting involved by LEO's in the past. but i realize that because they are outnumbered, they can't always get there in time to stop the damage being done. i still feel that as a LAC and a human being i have that responsiblity to others to help if i can. if by only calling 911 and not getting involved, by the time LE showed up, someone could end up fatally wounded or dead. and if i could have prevented that from happening and didn't, then i find myself unfit to be called an upstanding person.
Axxe55 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #130
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 4,301
Liked 2879 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 1821

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i see LE as reactionary. they are called when something is happening or after the fact. but the fact is, they can't be everywhere at once, and they have the numbers stacked against them. what is the ratio of LEO's to the population of any give city or town? they are outnumbered.

i too have been cautioned about getting involved by LEO's in the past. but i realize that because they are outnumbered, they can't always get there in time to stop the damage being done. i still feel that as a LAC and a human being i have that responsiblity to others to help if i can. if by only calling 911 and not getting involved, by the time LE showed up, someone could end up fatally wounded or dead. and if i could have prevented that from happening and didn't, then i find myself unfit to be called an upstanding person.
Correct you are. I think the highest ratio we had during my many years in LE was 1.2 per 1000, the lowest was .9 per 1000! I don't recall the exact number of people it takes to keep ONE person on the job 24/7/365, but I think it is about 7. So divide those numbers by 7 and you can see the true ratio on any given day of actual coverage. This was in a city, Colorado Springs, CO, which was 300,000+ when I retired. We kept 'trying' to be proactive, but the reality is this is totally unrealistic and impossible to accomplish!!! Good police work, as far as intervening on an 'in progress' crime, is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time (luck) for the most part.
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
How do you beat the heat? MisterMcCool The Club House 31 07-04-2013 06:59 PM
Armed 11 year old Girl Defends Home from 3 armed Burglars: Armed Citizen mesinge2 Legal and Activism 16 01-14-2011 09:20 PM
Beat me. Go Ahead. Benning Boy General Handgun Discussion 8 11-16-2009 10:22 PM