Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   And the idiot of the day award goes to.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/idiot-day-award-goes-60474/)

BenLuby 03-18-2012 03:41 AM

And the idiot of the day award goes to....

ME!!!

First point, no one was hurt.

I've grown up around rifles and handguns. The one thing always drilled in my head was safety, safety, safety.
Yes, I went a few years without firearms in the house, and over the last year I've gotten back into them. Well, tonight, as a learning experience for everyone, I am going to own up to being a moron.
I popped the magazine from my XD, and went to drop the hammer. Well...I forgot the number two rule (number one is never point it at anyone), and put a round in the carpet.
Wife about had a heart attack, and my son and daughter in law...well, my son laughed, my daughter in law grew up in an anti-gun family. She freaked a good bit.
Since I live in a subdivision, even though it is not in city limits, so I called the police and informed them of what happened.
They sent a squad car, and the officers were polite and didn't slap me in the head for being a retard.
So, the lesson learned? Always double check. I have never had a firearm accident. I chalk this up to sloppiness in gun handling on my part.
I am just glad that no one was injured, other than my pride.
I am posting this, not for pats on the head, but as a reminder that all it takes is one moment of laxness and you have a firearm mishap.

pfev1980 03-18-2012 03:50 AM

Good post. Thanks for the reminder.

vincent 03-18-2012 03:51 AM

Glad to hear no one was hurt...

It takes heart to admit you effed up...+1 to you BenLuby

Marlinman 03-18-2012 04:28 AM

Well ben it happens to us all....the moron award i mean;) glad no one was hurt. You wont live this down you know Mr. Carpet Killer;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

BenLuby 03-18-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 743753)
Well ben it happens to us all....the moron award i mean;) glad no one was hurt. You wont live this down you know Mr. Carpet Killer;)

Believe me, the wife and kids are having a field day on that. :eek:

JTJ 03-18-2012 05:01 AM

We may have to restrict you to revolvers.:D

BenLuby 03-18-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 743781)
We may have to restrict you to revolvers.:D

Could be worse. My youngest told me I was to be relegated to Airsoft.

jordan89 03-18-2012 05:48 AM

Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing this as to remind us to never get to relaxed with our firearms.

Axxe55 03-18-2012 05:48 AM

i believe this has happened to many. glad no one was hurt, just your pride. it sometimes happens when we handle firearms on a regular basis and get complacent. i too have had it happen and felt like an idiotic moron. main thing is, no one gets hurt and we learn a very valuable safety lesson. stay safe, and don't worry, someone else will get the moron award another day!

Marlinman 03-18-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby

Believe me, the wife and kids are having a field day on that. :eek:

Oh those of us still on the GOFFA counsel will rag you on it too;) i did it w my left handed colt one time......it was a good thing i had a spare door to my s10.