i want to become a police officer


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > i want to become a police officer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default i want to become a police officer

any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer



__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,675
Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Default

While a police officer DOES need to be able to use a firearm effectively, that is a very small part of what a police officer needs to do. Most of the folks at my local shooting association range can outshoot the current "on duty" shift from the local PD. There is a serious misconception that ALL LEOs are Marshall Dillon with a six shooter. How is your shooting now? What firearm, what range, what sort of groups? Do you shoot strong hand/weak hand?



__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

My esteemed partner above has hit the nail on the head. While shooting is a necessary skill, it's just a small part of the overall process. I'm sure our resident LEOs will drop by shortly to give you the real deal.

One other important note. Most LE agencies operate with a structure and the internal discipline of the military. If you can't fit into a regimented, rank conscious environment - LE probably isn't the career for you...

__________________

Last edited by NGIB; 03-26-2010 at 12:31 PM.
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default thank you

i can shoot good with both hands and are very nice grouping
guns- a 40 cal glock and 9mm 1911 copy

__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sun, Sand, and Palm Trees,Fla.
Posts: 2,114
Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer
Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.
__________________

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich


The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Car54 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.
thank you sir and unsesirbles? as in what?
__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,436
Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default

You are the company you keep. So if your friends are drug dealers or gang bangers, you will be viewed the same way. THe backgroung checks differetn agencies do are EXTENSIVE. They even check FaceBook, Myspace, etc nowadays

__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default ok

thanks i dont think i have anything to worry about

__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Don't take this wrong but writing skills are very important as well...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,436
Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default

ChevyNova, tell me a bit more about yourself. Age? Grades in school? Level of education?



__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Jackson, Mich. Police Officer Killed on Duty Car54 The Club House 6 03-09-2010 11:23 PM
Pelham, AL Police Officer Murdered On I-65 alsaqr Politics, Religion and Controversy 11 12-08-2009 04:01 PM
Security Officer Training/Equipment.... themanbeau Training & Safety 9 10-09-2009 09:44 AM
Officer has weapon stolen Kain The Club House 13 08-22-2009 10:08 PM
Officer Lovejoy is charged... LunchBox The Club House 21 10-24-2007 06:02 AM