i want to become a police officer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > i want to become a police officer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default i want to become a police officer

any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

While a police officer DOES need to be able to use a firearm effectively, that is a very small part of what a police officer needs to do. Most of the folks at my local shooting association range can outshoot the current "on duty" shift from the local PD. There is a serious misconception that ALL LEOs are Marshall Dillon with a six shooter. How is your shooting now? What firearm, what range, what sort of groups? Do you shoot strong hand/weak hand?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

My esteemed partner above has hit the nail on the head. While shooting is a necessary skill, it's just a small part of the overall process. I'm sure our resident LEOs will drop by shortly to give you the real deal.

One other important note. Most LE agencies operate with a structure and the internal discipline of the military. If you can't fit into a regimented, rank conscious environment - LE probably isn't the career for you...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-26-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #4

Default thank you

i can shoot good with both hands and are very nice grouping
guns- a 40 cal glock and 9mm 1911 copy

Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer
Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.
thank you sir and unsesirbles? as in what?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

You are the company you keep. So if your friends are drug dealers or gang bangers, you will be viewed the same way. THe backgroung checks differetn agencies do are EXTENSIVE. They even check FaceBook, Myspace, etc nowadays

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #8

Default ok

thanks i dont think i have anything to worry about

Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Don't take this wrong but writing skills are very important as well...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #10

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

ChevyNova, tell me a bit more about yourself. Age? Grades in school? Level of education?

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com