Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   i want to become a police officer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/i-want-become-police-officer-25188/)

chevyforlife1972nova 03-26-2010 04:51 AM

i want to become a police officer

any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer

c3shooter 03-26-2010 11:38 AM

While a police officer DOES need to be able to use a firearm effectively, that is a very small part of what a police officer needs to do. Most of the folks at my local shooting association range can outshoot the current "on duty" shift from the local PD. There is a serious misconception that ALL LEOs are Marshall Dillon with a six shooter. How is your shooting now? What firearm, what range, what sort of groups? Do you shoot strong hand/weak hand?

NGIB 03-26-2010 12:11 PM

My esteemed partner above has hit the nail on the head. While shooting is a necessary skill, it's just a small part of the overall process. I'm sure our resident LEOs will drop by shortly to give you the real deal.

One other important note. Most LE agencies operate with a structure and the internal discipline of the military. If you can't fit into a regimented, rank conscious environment - LE probably isn't the career for you...

chevyforlife1972nova 03-26-2010 10:06 PM

thank you

i can shoot good with both hands and are very nice grouping
guns- a 40 cal glock and 9mm 1911 copy

Car54 03-27-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova (Post 257723)
any training you guys can suggest ? i live in Maryland
I know how to shoot and everything i just want to know my skills are at the level to make it as a officer

Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.

chevyforlife1972nova 03-27-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 258137)
Each state sets standards that must be met in order to have the job of police officer. In most, if not all cases a requirement is that the recruit go through an academy whether self initiated and pay your own way, or get hired by an agency that has it's own academy and get paid while you train.

I would suggest that wherever you would like to be an officer, go to the respective state website and search for that states requirements for a start.

A lot of departments allow civilian ride alongs. Check with a few local departments you might be interested in and see if you can ride a few times.

Academies generally run 16 to 18 weeks before graduation. Watch your driving (tickets and crashes), partying (stay out of trouble), hanging with so called "undesirables", make sure your background is clear, and begin working on your physical conditioning.

thank you sir and unsesirbles? as in what?

MoHawk 03-27-2010 12:53 AM

You are the company you keep. So if your friends are drug dealers or gang bangers, you will be viewed the same way. THe backgroung checks differetn agencies do are EXTENSIVE. They even check FaceBook, Myspace, etc nowadays

chevyforlife1972nova 03-27-2010 01:01 AM

ok

thanks i dont think i have anything to worry about

NGIB 03-27-2010 01:03 AM

Don't take this wrong but writing skills are very important as well...

MoHawk 03-27-2010 01:05 AM

ChevyNova, tell me a bit more about yourself. Age? Grades in school? Level of education?