I Suck Bad - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > I Suck Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I can draw a smiley face in a paper plate at 20 yards. I've got skills.

So I decide to do this drill I see on this DVD. Basically double tap in two squares, and single shots in smaller numbered shapes, at a partners call, at six feet. Should be cake.

Not so much. While I hit a reasonable number of spots in a less reasonable time, I can't resist the urge to aim. This slows me considerably.

It's almost like training for accuracy has become a detriment to my ability to just point and pop.

Has anybody else encountered this?
I ran this drill about 20 or 25 times when I went to Valhalla.

The instructor would bark out a number, or a shape as the target had both, and I would draw and be required to empty between 2 and 5 rounds into that shape.

At first it was very hard, and I was struggling. I was aiming even though I found the target well ahead of getting the weapon up and smoking.

The instructor, Brad S in case Rob Pincus stops by , stopped me from drawing and just had me hold the weapon at High Chest Center. Press out on his command of a shape or number, and do a quick double tap.

Then we progressed to multiple shots, and then multiple targets, BEFORE we went back to holstering the weapon and drawing for engagement.

After I got the hang of just finding the target indicated and putting rounds on target, it became much easier.

When I went back to drawing, I was again a bit slow, but Brad just started stepping into my shoe with his foot as I was drawing my weapon. For some reason, as his foot encountered my foot, I shifted weight ever so slightly and I wasn't "thinking" about the target, site, shot - I was just drawing, acquiring and shooting.

After a few times of doing it that way, I was nailing everything he called out and was able to get by the mental block of "having" to aim....

It just takes some practice and some good, conscious training.... My Friend.

JD

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 JD

I agree that its hard to overcome the urge to aim every shot and put them all in a nice quarter size hole, but when i went to the police academy the instructors there were great because they basically tought us to forget about the rear sight and baiscally use the front sight or just the front of the weapon for anything under 15 yards. They also made me think what is the point of a nice tight group when it comes to combat? Why put all your bullets in 1 hole? if u hit person on a double tap and ur second shot is 4 inches away from the first one then good you have probably disrupted function in another vital organ

Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
+1 JD

I agree that its hard to overcome the urge to aim every shot and put them all in a nice quarter size hole, but when i went to the police academy the instructors there were great because they basically tought us to forget about the rear sight and baiscally use the front sight or just the front of the weapon for anything under 15 yards. They also made me think what is the point of a nice tight group when it comes to combat? Why put all your bullets in 1 hole? if u hit person on a double tap and ur second shot is 4 inches away from the first one then good you have probably disrupted function in another vital organ
That is really an excellent point Hot Sauce!

The guy I work with in the shop is one of the best pistol and rifle shooters I have ever been around. He should be, he grew up in a gun shop, grew up hunting in Indiana, spent 3 years in the army, then joined the Navy and went into the teams. Bottom line, the guy can flat shoot.

So, we were at the range one day and we were shooting pistols. Both of us have full size 1911's and we are shooting for points at 10 yards for who gets to pay for lunch. I always lose, but the competition is fun.

So, I ask him to show me one of those famous double taps where the bullet holes are touching.

First two rounds are about an inch and half apart. Then he gets serious.

*BAM-BAM* - A quick one-two and the holes were within an 1/8th of an inch of each other. It was damn impressive.

Then he clicks the safety on and says "For whatever good that will do you".

I was shocked, I thought that was the whole point of a double tap. He said that was conventional wisdom and people will brag about being able to do it.

Then he tells me that the ideal double tap, in a force on force scenario, has the first round entering low, around the bottom of the sternum, preferably right into the diaphram, and then the next round crashes into the upper chest, throat region - with a good 4 or 6 inches spacing in between.

The reason is because a hollow point is going to go in and disrupt. Expand. Tear bone and flesh and cause interior bleeding.

Put another round on top of the first and you are damaging the same area.

Put another round in another vital organ area and you are TWICE as likely to cause a bleed out. Situation over.

It made a ton of sense and it's hard to argue with.

I love shooting tight groups, and I love to out shoot someone, but if it ever comes down to it, I am going to pause that half a heartbeat between the second pull of that trigger and allow the weapon to rise just enough to send another .230 grains into a fresh spot on the body and hope for the best....

JD

Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Excellent point. I never considered that hitting all over the place on a baddie was actually more effective, but I see the logic.

I've learned something. Life is now good.

Thanks, guys.