I Suck Bad

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > I Suck Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default I Suck Bad

I can draw a smiley face in a paper plate at 20 yards. I've got skills.

So I decide to do this drill I see on this DVD. Basically double tap in two squares, and single shots in smaller numbered shapes, at a partners call, at six feet. Should be cake.

Not so much. While I hit a reasonable number of spots in a less reasonable time, I can't resist the urge to aim. This slows me considerably.

It's almost like training for accuracy has become a detriment to my ability to just point and pop.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I need to practice point shooting. My aiming will probably get in the way as well. Another issue is that at the ranges I frequent, no handguns in holsters! How can a person practice drawing and shooting that way?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've noticed the same thing. Reaction shooting is a different skill set than target shooting (trying to make small pretty groups). Being older with crappy eyes, pure target shooting isn't as fun as it was in my youth. At this point in my life, most of the shooting I do is reaction type.

I love bowling pin shoots and to be competitive you have to knock 5 pins off the table in say 6 seconds or less. Since the goal is to knock the pin off the table, with authority, you need a COM hit as they're heavy devils. This requires that you hit a roughly 3x3 area of each pin at 7 yards very consistently - and quickly. Not to much true aiming is involved really as it's mostly instinctive.

I do pretty well at these and I've won my fair share of them so most of my range time is practicing this type of shooting. I rarely even try to shoot tight groups anymore, I focus on staying inside the 8-9 ring bringing the gun up from a 45 degree angle and snapping them off. I generally hang 2 targets and alternate between them...

Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Take the best long range rifle shooter at the club- blend with a 12 g O/U, and fold in assorted clay pigeons. Place in an 80 degree sporting clays range, and wait for humiliation to set in. Tears of frustration are a sign that you have stirred the pot too long............

The very things that made him (or her) an excellent long range rifle shooter will work agaist him in point shooting skeet, trap, or sporting clays. Can be fun to watch if you like seeing grown men weep.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So which skill set to focus on?

I'm not sure I visualized/fantasized about scenarios where I might have to draw down on a bad guy, so I never thought about the possibility of 6 feet.
Changed everything.

This was just crazy. I could cover 6 feet and kick you faster than I could get the second shot out accurately.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Find an IDPA league in your area as they focus on draw and fire types of shooting. I haven't tried it yet but we have an active league here and I've watched a few matches.

If you ever try out a bowling pin shoot - I guarantee you'll be hooked...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
So which skill set to focus on?

I'm not sure I visualized/fantasized about scenarios where I might have to draw down on a bad guy, so I never thought about the possibility of 6 feet.
Changed everything.

This was just crazy. I could cover 6 feet and kick you faster than I could get the second shot out accurately.
Focus on 21 feet max distance for point and shoot BB. You are correct in that most assaults take place within less than 10 foot perimeter. That is why one needs some hands-on self defense skills. Not everything needs to be settled with a firearm, as you well know.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So at what distance is it possibly detrimental to draw? 21 feet seems reasonable, but it seems the benefit shrinks in concert with the distance.

And yet the threat increases as the distance closes.

I'm so lost.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
So at what distance is it possibly detrimental to draw? 21 feet seems reasonable, but it seems the benefit shrinks in concert with the distance.

And yet the threat increases as the distance closes.

I'm so lost.
Ok, I will give you my opinion here of rules of engagement. Someone else may have a different one. If you have a BG within 21 feet or less with a firearm and you feel he is a lethal threat to you, cap the prick. You cannot outrun or hand fight a bullet. If the BG is holding a knife, crowbar, or a stick, he will have to get close enough in order to use these weapons. If you feel that you can physically handle and disarm this attack, without using a firearm, then "whoop some ass." Most would brandish their firearm and say "make my day, punk" and in most instances, the BG either gets shot, if decides to continue forward or runs off. Either way you were in fear for your life and felt you were in a life-threatening situation and were 99.9% right and legal in your response. Now in some states, it's that .01% that is sometimes questioned. Here in Oklahoma, no problem, you get a parade and key to the city.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm replying only because whoever responds last to this shows up on the main page as "I suck bad, by_____", and I know IGETEVEN is getting antsy.

Good stuff, though.