I have a problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > I have a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I have a problem

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone has a solution for this. I shoot lefty, but I'm right eye dominant. I cant close my right eye, without my left closing. Naturally, this is a problem when I'm trying to look down the iron sights on a rifle. I have a big head, and since my left cheek rests on the gun, I cant get my head low enough to see through them. I can barely see the bottom of the front sight post when I look through the rear sight. Now, I'm wondering since a lot of the red dots you can buy are virtually at the same level, will that still be a problem when it comes to zeroing? I dont want to rely on a red dot, I want to be able to use irons, but obviously cant if I cant see down them. Hopefully I've explained this correctly...any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sorry, I don't have a very good answer for you, but you have tried to reposition to use the right eye is this correct, but with no help? hummmm if all else fails, learn to shoot right handed

some one that has dealt with this type of problem will be by shortly I'm sure....

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-22-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Whether you shoot left or right is determined not so much by your "handedness" as by eye dominance.

When teaching basic rifle marksmanship to Army Basic Trainees, step 1 is to determine eye dominance. Left eye, left handed. Right eye, right handed.

Average distance between adult pupils is around 2.25 inches- too far to try to offset a sight without having a rather Rube Goldberg setup.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll 2nd practice shooting right handed. If you really want to get into practicing this get a mock up rifle or what ever is close to what you normally shoot and just practice aiming right handed. It will be a little awkward at first but after a couple of days of that you should be comfortable holding the gun.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #5

i understand you want to zero properly. but these days optics are the new irons. hell just get one thats not batt-operated. im not 100% positive how you shoot with a red dot but with an ACOG you shoot with both eyes open, so even left or right eye dominate have to re-learn the whole system anyway. and as long as there is light your system will work. which is just like irons anyway.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Use scotch tape to cover right glasses lenses.

Allows both eyes to stay open, but only one can focus

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

He needs to cover the right eye, and switch to optics on a higher mount and shoot left handed. He should count himself lucky, some of us are forced into cross dominance by being blind in one eye. Although I can think of one advantage to CED, My shooting scores and off hand accuracy have greatly improved since I am now stabalizing my rifle with my stonger arm. Just some food for thought.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 01-24-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

He is also saying he cant get low enough on the stock to properly see the irons due to his facial structure. He needs more drop at the heel or has a cheek piece that is blocking him. He either needs to change the stock, raise the irons or get a scope. The eye dominance issue would be best resolved by shooting right handed. While taping the right lens would work it is not much of a solution in the field hunting. For a scope, I would suggest a low power variable (1-4X) or a low power fixed (1-2.5X). For shorter ranges, shotgun and muzzle loader scopes have a shorter parallax setting. The red dots are fun to shoot with and the target acquisition is very fast but almost all are battery dependent. For a reasonable red dot, the Vortex Strikefire @ $150 has a good reputation and good battery life. There are lots of others out there but dont go too cheap. If you have a 22lr rifle, you might try a cheaper red dot on that to see if you like it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

Ive got the same problem. This is how I trained myself. Keep practicing cause your left will take iver again.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
He is also saying he cant get low enough on the stock to properly see the irons due to his facial structure. He needs more drop at the heel or has a cheek piece that is blocking him. He either needs to change the stock, raise the irons or get a scope. The eye dominance issue would be best resolved by shooting right handed. While taping the right lens would work it is not much of a solution in the field hunting. For a scope, I would suggest a low power variable (1-4X) or a low power fixed (1-2.5X). For shorter ranges, shotgun and muzzle loader scopes have a shorter parallax setting. The red dots are fun to shoot with and the target acquisition is very fast but almost all are battery dependent. For a reasonable red dot, the Vortex Strikefire @ $150 has a good reputation and good battery life. There are lots of others out there but dont go too cheap. If you have a 22lr rifle, you might try a cheaper red dot on that to see if you like it.
I was hoping to put the irons on riders. It will look awkward as hell but hopefully would solve it. That or I need to learn to shoot eighty. But thanks for the dot info, ill definitely check that out.