Originally Posted by Mapnapkin
Since you can't really train for different situations, I have a situation and was wondering everyone's thoughts. If there are any Police Officers here that would be a big bonus.
So, lets say I am woken up by some noises, grab my shotgun and go into my front room and find two guys holding my big ol' LCD TV.
With the mounted flash light turned on them, I rack a shell and say, with my meanest sounding voice, "Put the TV down and get on your stomach" as my wife/girlfriend calls 911.
I have a pair of handcuffs and cuff one guys right arm to the other guys right ankle and wait for the police to arrive.
That is, if everything goes right...
Now, what are your thoughts of this?
I don't want to shoot them especially if they are holding my big ass TV.
Am I stupid for thinking this way.
What would you do differently?
I didn't read but a few responses because I'm in a hurry, but I'd like to add:
1) Nobody is going to come into your house with you home without being prepared and capable of dealing with you. They won't expect to bust out your window and sneak out with your XXX lb television without you coming to check it out. So, don't expect to just walk up on them and instantly have the upper hand with their pants around their ankles.
2) Don't move, unless you have a real good reason (like your kid's room is the first door from the living room).
3) Agreed, don't cuff them. At best, it will probably still look bad. More than likely, though, it will get you hurt or killed, also leaving your family members to defend themselves.
4) Unless you don't live in a Castle Doctrine state, I'd probably shoot first, for the reasoning behind my first point: If someone breaks into your house with you there, they are either prepared for, or capable of, dealing with you
. By that, I mean they are either going to be armed and planning to hurt or kill you, or they are actually crazy / high enough to not realize you are home, making them just as dangerous. Even in your scenario, you can't assume there isn't a third guy creeping up behind you (or down the hall) with a lamp raised over his head. Take out the first two and clear the rest of the house.
5) I also agree on the loudness of a shotgun, though the consequences of that are not important to everyone.
6) I can't believe I forgot this one. Keep the gun loaded. There just might be a time when you wake up to someone kicking in your bedroom door, and you won't have the time to rack the slide. But, if you are going to go exploring the house for BGs, make damn sure it's ready to fire! If you don't have the safety off and a round chambered, you'd probably feel pretty stupid (if not dead, heh) bumping into a BG in the hallway with nothing more than a Mossberg Club against your shoulder, as he raises his pistol and shoots you in the chest!
Just read all of the thread. Looks like I'm not crazy after all