Hypothetical Home Invasion/Burglary - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hypothetical Home Invasion/Burglary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

All hail the Castle Doctrine!

Bang, repeat as necessary...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
goju Why are you letting perps run off? Shot first answer questions later.

If the perp is dead all you have to do is say he threatened to kill you. That coupled with the fact that he is in my house uninvited in the middle of the night I highly doubt anyone will look into too much.
Kind of hard to sell if he is laying by the front door unarmed with buckshot through his back, LOL!

If I can help it they will live. If they give me any reason to think they might harm my family(armed,threatening,etc) .............

I like to have a clear conscious.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I live in the country. Many of us in the country have a fair bit of land- 30-100 acres that is fairly remote. Many country folks have farms, which require the use of machinery. Many of those machines include earthmoving equipment. This enables a person to dig large, deep holes quickly, with little effort. This is a routine process that does not draw undue attention.

Sorry, I was distracted there for a bit. You're looking for who? Naw, can't help you- never saw him around here. Will be sure to call if he does turn up. Have a nice day.

So, tell me again why you like lving in the city...........

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #24

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Out of the house is good

Someone asked, "What if they turn and run?" Isn't that a good thing? Obviously that would mean there is no longer a threat. Yes, that means they didn't get wrapped up that night, but mopping blood off the floor ain't a good thing, either.

Order them to drop and they have a choice. Three choices actually. Comply? Charge? Run? First options means they lay down and you do NOTHING until the cops come, but stay alert. Second option means they're dead with 00-Buck through the chest. Third option means a lot less hassle and your family is safe.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I will not attempt to tell you what to do. I will tell you what I would do and if any part of it is helpful to you, I am glad.
Finding two men in my house carrying my TV I would I would take a quick look to see if anyone else was visable, put my back to a wall and put the light on them. It would not be necessary to rack the weapon for that would have been done before I went looking for burglars. Not knowing if they were armed or not, I would tell them to set the TV down, keep their hands in sight, and lay face down with their arms extended full length over their heads. Failure to immediately comply or moving their hands out of my sight would make me believe I was in deadly danger and I would fire to neutralize this danger.
If they do comply, move to a position below their feet so they can't see what you are doing. Hold them that way at gunpoint until the police arrive. When the police arrive they are going to tell you to put the gun down. DO IT and don't argue. At that point the police don't know you from one of the burglars. They will get it straightened out but don't get yourself shot.
Hope this is some help.

America: Love it and protect it or leave it!
In God I Trust
I Support Arizona

Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd make them break into all of my neighbors' houses until they found a better TV than I had, have them move it into my den, and THEN shoot them. Once they had it all hooked up to the peripheral equipment. Hey, I'd be the neighborhood hero, and as a victim, nobody would dare look at the serial number on my new set!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Many of those machines include earthmoving equipment.
hahaha.. I like that.

So, I have learn a few things.
First is quick check for other perps..
Second, It does seem likely they could be armed
Third would be to keep control at a safe distance if things went the way I expected..
Also.. back facing the wall seems smart, no surprise attack from the back

However everything depends on the three options the perps have..
Comply? Charge? Run?
Excellent info here..

I understand protecting my family at any cost but I am not looking forward to killing anyone, But,.. it does seem like the more news stories of perps killed in home robberies would curb the crime rate.. you would think.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I'd make them break into all of my neighbors' houses until they found a better TV than I had, have them move it into my den, and THEN shoot them. Once they had it all hooked up to the peripheral equipment. Hey, I'd be the neighborhood hero, and as a victim, nobody would dare look at the serial number on my new set!
.. thats good

Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #29

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnapkin View Post
hahaha.. I like that.

I understand protecting my family at any cost but I am not looking forward to killing anyone, But,.. it does seem like the more news stories of perps killed in home robberies would curb the crime rate.. you would think.
This is the age-old quandary of the law-abiding citizen who wants to protect his family and also has leanings toward helping society. Killing the BG's would help society, for sure. But the difficulties that would ensue (your own weapon would be taken for a period of time, you might be at least taken in for questioning maybe worse, at worst arrested, not to mention the emotional trauma of killing someone) would make our own life afterward difficult.

I'm only talking about those gray-area scenarios. If the BG chooses CHARGE, I'll be willing to endure every difficulty that comes my way to have the opportunity to do society (and my family) a favor.

For me, the best outcome would be COMPLY or RUN, in that order. The Clint Eastwood in me says something different, but I just know that ending even a BG's life would not be easy to work through.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #30

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I didn't choose my option to engage immediately because I'm a mall ninja or wannabe commando. Here's my logic: folks that will invade an occupied home fall in two categories IMO.

The first group has actually thought about what they'll do if confronted and have a plan for that event. To believe that their plan is to throw their hands up peacefully and go to jail seems totally naive and illogical to me. If they're concerned about being confronted, they would choose a softer target.

The second group doesn't care if you're home or not and they'll just react to whatever happens. These folks have a callous disregard for anything and just don't care if they're confronted or not. I don't see this type suddenly acquiring common sense and choosing a peaceful resolution either.

I see both groups of scum as exceedingly and inherently dangerous and direct threat to me and my family - I'm not going to play 20 questions with them. If you live in a state which recognizes the castle doctrine, group one is even more threatening as they've considered a confrontation with an armed homeowner and chose to go ahead with the crime anyway...