Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Hypothetical Home Invasion/Burglary (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/hypothetical-home-invasion-burglary-18562/)

Mapnapkin 09-27-2009 01:40 AM

Hypothetical Home Invasion/Burglary

Since you can't really train for different situations, I have a situation and was wondering everyone's thoughts. If there are any Police Officers here that would be a big bonus.

So, lets say I am woken up by some noises, grab my shotgun and go into my front room and find two guys holding my big ol' LCD TV.
With the mounted flash light turned on them, I rack a shell and say, with my meanest sounding voice, "Put the TV down and get on your stomach" as my wife/girlfriend calls 911.

I have a pair of handcuffs and cuff one guys right arm to the other guys right ankle and wait for the police to arrive.
That is, if everything goes right...

Now, what are your thoughts of this?
I don't want to shoot them especially if they are holding my big ass TV.
Am I stupid for thinking this way.
What would you do differently?

dunerunner 09-27-2009 01:54 AM

SHOTGUN!! :eek: Big mess, ruined LCD, ringing ears, too much explaining how they were threatening you with the big screen.

Assuming all goes well and you hold them for the police it sounds good, but as you know; things never go the way you think. Taking on two perps alone and trying to keep them both under control while you manipulate a pair of cuffs makes my hair stand up.

Hold them at gunpoint, have the wife/girlfriend state they are being held at gunpoint. Good luck, because at this point they may figure you aren't going to shoot if they get up and run!!

It's never easy when it's you against two!! Have them both lie on their faces and put the shotty to the back of ones head and have him cuff the others wrist to his ankle!!

That might work!!

SGT-MILLER 09-27-2009 02:03 AM

DO NOT try to 'cuff them.

Unless you are trained in the proper way of effectively/quickly 'cuffing someone, don't try to do it.

There are 2 of them and 1 of you. You will have to put the shotgun down in order to do it. Don't give them a opening.

Get them both on the ground, take a position of dominance, and tell them not to move. Once the LEOs get there, they will take care of the 'cuffing.

Mapnapkin 09-27-2009 02:17 AM

Good advice, thanks for playing along.
"threatening you with the big screen" :) thats good.

The handcuffing part would be the tricky step.
I have not been trained for handcuffing but I do own a pair. I thought that would be the best way to secure them for everyone's safety.. theirs and mine.
However, if it was necessary, shotgun in the back of the head and have the guy handcuff himself seems to be the best solution.

I also thought my girlfriend could do it but I wouldn't want her that close the the bad guys.

CA357 09-27-2009 02:24 AM

Stand back a safe distance and keep them covered until the cavalry arrives. There's way too many variables that come into play with anything else. Simple is always better. ;)

dunerunner 09-27-2009 02:26 AM

Do not involve another party who would be within the grasp of the perps unless they (the perps) are under the muzzle of a gun....that takes three of you, two with weapons and control over the perpetrators!!

Mapnapkin 09-27-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 166147)
Stand back a safe distance and keep them covered until the cavalry arrives. There's way too many variables that come into play with anything else. Simple is always better. ;)

I Agree.

ok.. So keep the lights off with them under a flash. That way they can't see around them to well.. or turn the lights on

dunerunner 09-27-2009 02:55 AM

Dark is good...better be sure there are only two!!!

Mapnapkin 09-27-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 166189)
better be sure there are only two!!!

ah, didn't think of that.
thanks

hydrashok 09-27-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapnapkin (Post 166107)
I have a pair of handcuffs...

I'm with SGT-Miller on this one... DO NOT attempt to cuff 'em.

Even with training, I wouldn't attempt to cuff anybody unless I had someone covering them at gunpoint.

The only reason I could see having cuffs if you're not in the profession is for use in the bedroom... <evil grin>