how young is to young?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > how young is to young?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default how young is to young?

At what age did you start teaching your kids about guns? At what age did you let them shoot, and what did you start them out with?

JOSHUA 24:15 As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6944 Times on 3491 Posts
Likes Given: 7550

At what age did you start teaching your kids about guns?- The day they started moving around the house via their own arms and legs

At what age did you let them shoot,- Only when I knew for a fact they understood what they were going to do

and what did you start them out with?- Toy Gun, if they cant learn to respect it, they cant have a real one

Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
At what age did you start teaching your kids about guns?- The day they started moving around the house via their own arms and legs

At what age did you let them shoot,- Only when I knew for a fact they understood what they were going to do

and what did you start them out with?- Toy Gun, if they cant learn to respect it, they cant have a real one
this sums it up.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah we are past those parts. Just was trying to get other dads input. I have a 14 yo girl and 7 yo boy. Both love shooting and both know not to touch my guns unless I am with them.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Ray View Post
Yeah we are past those parts. Just was trying to get other dads input. I have a 14 yo girl and 7 yo boy. Both love shooting and both know not to touch my guns unless I am with them.
If they are ready and so are you, a nice midsized 22 single shot or bolt action is a great starter for your daughter and a BB gun for your son. Store them with your weapons and make them care for them just like dad does. I would have your Daughter take the Hunter safety course even if she doesnt want to hunt. She will learn some things but also get a chance to meet others her age that enjoy safe firearm usage. Get your son to the course before he gets his first real gun.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

You teach them about guns as soon as they notice that they exist in the home. You teach them to stay the hell away from them. When they are old enough to have a full understanding of the concept of sudden, violent death, and are physically capable of handling a gun without assistance, then you might want to begin to teach them to shoot. What age? It depends on the kid. Some may be ready by age 12 others are not ready at the age of 35.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
If they are ready and so are you, a nice midsized 22 single shot or bolt action is a great starter for your daughter and a BB gun for your son. Store them with your weapons and make them care for them just like dad does. I would have your Daughter take the Hunter safety course even if she doesnt want to hunt. She will learn some things but also get a chance to meet others her age that enjoy safe firearm usage. Get your son to the course before he gets his first real gun.
I think you are right for the most part. At this time, we have three bb guns in my safe, even though space is getting short in the safe. I also get the idea that the OP's kids may be a bit farther along than the first post lead on to.

Age is not how you will know. My son is 12, and by most peoples standard, should be able to shoot a single shot 22 with minimal supervision. The probkem with that is he is also autistic, and we are only at the let him hold a gun and learn to respect it stage. I have a coworker that has a son of 6 or 7 that has been shooting for about two years now. If you think that is too young, I was 7 wheni fired my first semi auto pistol. Learned then that you can have troo hight of a grip. I don't remember when I started shooting, but I remember that I was the oldest grandkid shooting, and the only one shooting a semi auto that day.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

16 is the minimal age at all the ranges in my area. Still, My 13 daughter enjoys all my "water guns", and she looks 16 My 16 yo son learned around that age too.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I have started both of them out on bb guns. I have a simi-auto 22 and bolt action 22. My daughter doesn't like shooting them that much, and I have let my son shoot it a few times and loves them. We are going out shooting them today. My daughter talks about going hunting all the time but really doesn't show much intrest in shooting. I'm not going to force her to but I do want her to know how to use and respect one. My son on the other hand, well lets just say he is allllll boy! THANK GOD! But I was wanting to know what would be the next level? I would like to get a small 22 pistol, to get them familiar with the feel of a pistol. Good or bad idea?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
I think you are right for the most part. At this time, we have three bb guns in my safe, even though space is getting short in the safe. I also get the idea that the OP's kids may be a bit farther along than the first post lead on to.

Age is not how you will know. My son is 12, and by most peoples standard, should be able to shoot a single shot 22 with minimal supervision. The probkem with that is he is also autistic, and we are only at the let him hold a gun and learn to respect it stage. I have a coworker that has a son of 6 or 7 that has been shooting for about two years now. If you think that is too young, I was 7 wheni fired my first semi auto pistol. Learned then that you can have troo hight of a grip. I don't remember when I started shooting, but I remember that I was the oldest grandkid shooting, and the only one shooting a semi auto that day.
God Bless you Jeb, the challenges are many for those without DD's, my 7 yo Grandson is also Autistic and his life can never be that which he deserves but we will do what we can to make it as good as it can be. I dont see a day coming when he will ever inherit any of my weapons and thats a bit sad. He is a real whiz at so many things, but connecting mono e mono with the real world just isnt one of them.

I got my first bb gun when I was 8 and my first 22 when I was 12. I was allowed to go shooting and hunting alone at 14 but could only shoot with friends if an adult was present until I was 16. Age is a government thing not reality, each child develops differently but teaching them as young as possible will instill it into their brains. Teach them young and often!