How young is too young? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How young is too young?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can say from personal experiences that one could never be too young to start with the gun safety. I was started at about 6 months old sitting on my fathers lap out at the range with a little model 27 Hamilton and now that I'm a father I'm starting my son out just over a year old. He gets to sit with me tomorrow morning out at the range. My first rifle is now his first one. Start them young with proper firearms safety and you'll never have a problem.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I let my son pull the trigger on my Ruger MkII .22 pistol when he was 4 (after getting a recommendation from his Pediatrician about hearing protection...enough of a cotton ball to go into his ear covered with a layer of Vaseline) had him in the back yard shooting a BB gun at 5 (using the prone, kneeling, sitting and standing positions). Got him his first .22/.410 combo gun @ 7, moved him up to a 20 gauge pump and .22 @ 12 (originally got him a semi-auto .22 but have since traded it for a Savage bolt action that he wanted originally).

By age 12 he had shot my 1911 .45, Glock 22 & 23, my wife's Taurus PT111 9mm, bolt action .243 and M-4 carbine. He loves shooting my 10/22 and MKII pistol, but tends to shoot too fast, so I make him put no more than 5 rounds in a magazine (so he's able to change magazines in his sleep now ).

Oh, I almost forgot, We shoot Airsoft pistols at designated targets in the backyard too, but regardless of what he's shooting or where the same rules apply for all.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #33

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Age is secondary to the knowledge transfer. Start by being a good example.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #34

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I have to agree that a child's mind soaks up

information at any age like a sponge.

Gun safety and training should be from

the cradle to the grave. A lifestyle-

a mindset-one of our proudest heritages.