How safe is this really? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How safe is this really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Personally i would not recommend judo to someone who is looking for an actual method of self defense.
That is what i thought about judo. It was not like i was dirty or anything when we wrestled, but they told me what the goal was, and i did it. My oldest cousin that i wrestled was close in age, and they are a BIG family (from 6'4" to 6'7", all played college football - my youngest (several years younger) started quarterback for Ohio state, and even won the bowl a game. So i always looked at them as more athletic than i was (i did lift weights a lot, so was probably a little stronger), but it just really gave me a bad impression for judo. I was very good at stand up, but pathetic at wrestling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Actually now that i think about it, it helped me a few times in high school too even though it had been a decade since i had taken any classes. my 2 cents
That is true, a reputation will take you a long way, i got in a lot of fights early on, but at each new school, it would only take winning a few, and nobody wants to fight you any more.

The good thing about the four season is that a buddy of mine from high school is the head of it now (he was a black belt in high school) and was a small guy, and the ONLY fights he ever got in were with people that did not know him (reputation). And those were VERY quickly OVER. My son is HUGE for his age - always the biggest by 6 inches, but he has a really big heart, and the smallest kid in the class could bully him. From my understanding Muay Thai is the best a focusing on self confidence (and they have some a god job so far talking about bullies and not being afraid). That is the main thing i want for him (plus exercise, and self defense skills).

There is just so much out there, it seems like the more i research it, the more unsure i am about what to choose. ANYBODY reading this thread that is into Martial Arts, please feel free to comment, or PM me ANYTIME no matter how old the thread is. I have never gotten into the field heavily, and we are certainly still just beginners now. Maybe once i am better than a 12 year old girl, i will have a better view point on it.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default self defense

In the Army as might be expected we were taught self defense but by using our rifle, pistol and bayonet. However we in the Military Police were also taught take downs, disarming, and martial arts. The martial arts mainly because it was a big thing with the soldiers and every post or fort had classes for them. (by the way we were cautioned not to shoot or stab our own soldiers unless it was to save yourself or another MP).
When I was about 15 yrs old there was lots of classes for Judo and my folks let me enroll in one. But my Dad told me if I started speaking Japanese I was quiting the class right then and now. (Dad'd joke) I enjoyed it and if I remember right I got up to a green belt before I discovered girls and switched my attention to learning the art of persuasion.
I have also attended and succesfully graduated to 3 Police Academies and they all taught us martial arts to counter the street fighters. I taught my son when he was a preteen and having trouble with bullies in his school. I mainly taught him the take downs as I figured that would stop any fight pretty quick. And it did. He still remembers them and has added a few tricks of his own now that he is a grown man.
Sarge