Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How safe is this really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How safe is this really?

I just saw a video on google where the guy is teaching how to handle yourself in a struggle for a gun (cqc). He recommends grabbing the hand gun in a manner so that it will not cycle. Seems like to practice something like this, you would need to do it with live ammo and really fire (BTW i do not plan on practicing it anyway). Just seems VERY dangerous to be showing as a training suggestion. What you you think?

here is the video. (it is about a minute long)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5116628615777591572#docid=39473776 11560206823

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

Looks like a good way to put a bullet through your forearm.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am really trying to start studying more technique, and get more training, but this one was a little strange to me. What about just tearing up your hand by doing it? I don't remember what he was testing, but what would a .45 do to your hand, even if you did not shoot yourself? This seems like a good way to AT BEST tear your hand up pretty good.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Nothing you will find me doing.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #5

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

bad knowledge is better than no knowledge at all.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Grabbing gun

In all the police academies I have attended and successfully graduated from I have never seen this taught.(3 academies)
I have seen references to stopping the cylinder on a revolver from turning if one shot has been fired and the gun not recocked. The US Army told us that if you pushed back on the slide the gun(Colt Mdl. 1911) would not fire because the disconnect would be activated. No one volunteered to demonstrate.
In police academies we are trained to knock the gun from a offenders hand if we are unarmed or do not have time to draw our own weapon. You always hit the back of their hand because that allows the gun to fly out of the open side of the hand.
Sarge

Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
Seems like to practice something like this, you would need to do it with live ammo and really fire (BTW i do not plan on practicing it anyway). Just seems VERY dangerous to be showing as a training suggestion. What you you think?
I think the video is very amateurish and dangerous. Disarming someone with a loaded gun pointed at you using only your hands requires serious training, confidence, and multi-scenario practice and follow through.

Disarming someone with a gun by using an extension weapon, such as a baton, stick, bat or sword, also requires serious training and practice.

Krav Maga

Warning:
Do not attempt this gun disarming defense technique without hours and hours, if not years, of proper instruction and training.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Krav Maga

Warning:
Do not attempt this gun disarming defense technique without hours and hours, if not years, of proper instruction and training.
Interesting video, and well done as he tells you give up your stuff, only do it when you are going to loose your life. The one i posted seems to really be setting up someone for a BAD accident, or a good idea for a dare for kids. Acts like it is no big deal.

Are you a Krav Maga Guy? My son and i are doing Muay Thai together, but my brother has really gotten into Krav Maga, and he loves it and says it is the greatest. I know for my son (7) it is a bit intense - dont want any crippled first grade bullies in his class, but i am very interested in it, but only watched videos online.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These types of incidents are life and death situations. You are either going to win or the BG is going to win. I am not going to just stand there and wait for the perp to shoot me.

I watched an interesting clip on Personal Defense last night where Massad Ayoob demonstrated trapping the opponents weapon as they are trying to draw from a holster. It too would take practice, but much quicker than trying to out draw them with your own weapon.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I watched an interesting clip on Personal Defense last night where Massad Ayoob demonstrated trapping the opponents weapon as they are trying to draw from a holster. It too would take practice, but much quicker than trying to out draw them with your own weapon.

Do you remember the link? Post it if you have it handy. I would like to take a look.