how old is old enough? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > how old is old enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #81
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
sand squid eyes ears and safety first!
minimum age is 8 years old and they don't deserve my money we have gone to a new club!!!
GOOD MAN!!! Keep them lads shooting!!

Waiting on more video!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
shadyshooter Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #82

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Very good. My daughter turns 9 in two weeks. Time to get her a .22 and train em on up. Suggestions on cheap, good, .22 rifle for girl? Cheap cause i want to get a Mark 3 as second .22 later down the road.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #83

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Rossi makes a nice break open .22, .410 single shot combo gun. Nice and cheap and a good little number.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #84

Likes Given: 18

you cannot beat Ruger in my opinion they are great reliable solid either .22 bolt or semi auto.
i taught my boys on the Ruger 10/22 them moved them over to the spikes tactical .22 with higher capacity mags.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #85

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter
you cannot beat Ruger in my opinion they are great reliable solid either .22 bolt or semi auto.
i taught my boys on the Ruger 10/22 them moved them over to the spikes tactical .22 with higher capacity mags.
At one point in my life, I had eight ruger 10/22s so you could say I enjoy them.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #86

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I have six kids between 13 and 40, was a range master with the boy scouts for many years and can tell you from experience that age 7 is not too young for a child to properly learn how to shoot. OTOH, as others have already said it really depends on the maturity of the individual child. There are many children who have more maturity at the age of 10 than many adults have at the age of 40. Still, a child is a child and despite what they may say or we may think as a doting parent, they are NOT miniature adults and need to be treated as children until they are of an age when they can be on their own and held responsible for their actions. It ALSO depends on the maturity of the adult doing the supervision! An adult is responsible for the safety of all children under his/her care, period. Whether at the gun range or the playground, you need to pay attention to the kids at all times. If you see a safety infraction you need to point it out immediately and ENSURE you are up to date and practice proper range procedures yourself.

Shooting MUST be done in a safe and responsible manner for the benefit of everyone present, but it should also be educational and fun! Kids (and adults) need to learn the importance of following established safety and handling rules, but that doesn't mean if has to be in a draconian, in your face, zero tolerance manner.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #87

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't remember if I posted here yet but my son was 3 y/o when he first shot a firearm. I wouldn't consider it really shooting because it was from a bench but he was only 3 so I think he deserves some credit.

This one:

Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #88

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I got my first BB rifle and my first .22lr rifle on my 4th Birthday and been shooting ever sense

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #89
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6038 Times on 2989 Posts
Likes Given: 6410

Training the kids to shoot safetly starts at a very young age! First teach them what they shouldnt do then move on to the things they should, if they show the retention, shooting can begin the second they are strong enough to hold one correctly.

I learned how to shoot by the time I was 6. By the time I was 12, I was allowed to go shooting/ hunting alone or with my best friend. Lots of dead pidgeons, black birds and Woodchucks left in the wake of our early learning, nobody ever got hurt either.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #90
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Training the kids to shoot safetly starts at a very young age! First teach them what they shouldnt do then move on to the things they should, if they show the retention, shooting can begin the second they are strong enough to hold one correctly.

I learned how to shoot by the time I was 6. By the time I was 12, I was allowed to go shooting/ hunting alone or with my best friend. Lots of dead pidgeons, black birds and Woodchucks left in the wake of our early learning, nobody ever got hurt either.
^^^THIS!!!^^^

That was me as well, add rabbits and tree rats to that list...but i would also add i was shooting DCM competitions as well from 10 or 11 to 18

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
shadyshooter Likes This