how old is old enough? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > how old is old enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Nice!!!!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #42

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter
rusty
thanks for the vote of confidence my youngest on here is nearly 8 so we agree!
Paul
I started at eight or seven.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #43

Likes Given: 18

Unfortunately guys after all my hard work my club has taken a very aggressive stance and decided my safety is an issue and suspended me from shooting in my club for 4 weeks with a possible removal of my membership and the boys. Apparently while I was using my iPhone no more than an arms length away from them it is deemed unsafe. I am totally gutted but I have the chance to reply to the accusation in 4 weeks. Wish me luck but I think they see me as trouble and I have no chance.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #44

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

I bought my grandson a cricket 22 lr bolt action single shot rifle when he was six. Had it setting in my gun cabinet untill I thought he was mature enough. I had been working with him with a bb gun. This year he turned 9 and I finally let him shoot the cricket. He did very well with it. At first he thought it was too little he wanted to shoot me bigger guns. After he demonstrated good safety and form I let him shot mine. One shot and he was ready to go back to his. It fits him perfectly.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hey Shadyshooter- I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at the club and maybe they are overreacting but I do tend to agree with their position that you taking video on your iphone is not providing the required supervision to a minor and especially one that young. Taking video while both of your kids that young are shooting is clearly not being responsible IMHO.

Perhaps you could request that you be allowed to bring only one child at a time to the range and that if you want to take video someone other than you will do it?

BTW your forum name is comically ironic to this thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #46
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Hey Shadyshooter- I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at the club and maybe they are overreacting but I do tend to agree with their position that you taking video on your iphone is not providing the required supervision to a minor and especially one that young. Taking video while both of your kids that young are shooting is clearly not being responsible IMHO.

Perhaps you could request that you be allowed to bring only one child at a time to the range and that if you want to take video someone other than you will do it?

BTW your forum name is comically ironic to this thread.
Show the board of the club the video and DEMAND them to show EXACTLY where there was ANY unsafe practices by either shooter.

Having myself worked with quite a few youngsters, i see nothing but a couple of young lads doing their trainer proud. (I already noted my (few, small) issues early on in this thread)

If they toss ya, piss on 'em!! They need you more than you need them!! Take your coin elsewhere!Then go on a smear campaign...enough folks see the BS for what it is and THEY will take their coin elsewhere and that place will be a footnote in history only too soon!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Show the board of the club the video and DEMAND them to show EXACTLY where there was ANY unsafe practices by either shooter.

Having myself worked with quite a few youngsters, i see nothing but a couple of young lads doing their trainer proud. (I already noted my (few, small) issues early on in this thread)

If they toss ya, piss on 'em!! They need you more than you need them!! Take your coin elsewhere!Then go on a smear campaign...enough folks see the BS for what it is and THEY will take their coin elsewhere and that place will be a footnote in history only too soon!
It sounds to me like the range has an issue with the supervision.

I suspect the range has a policy that all members agree to and that policy is that minors at the range are to be supervised at all times. And I'd suspect the range has determined that the member, while taking the video, was not supervising the minors, thus the range rule violation and the suspension.

The range probably does not feel a need to wait until after an accident before they take action.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
It sounds to me like the range has an issue with the supervision.

I suspect the range has a policy that all members agree to and that policy is that minors at the range are to be supervised at all times. And I'd suspect the range has determined that the member, while taking the video, was not supervising the minors, thus the range rule violation and the suspension.

The range probably does not feel a need to wait until after an accident before they take action.
As it should be. Not arguing this.

What i am arguing is besides eyes and a little finger control, i dont see anything to get ones knickers in a knot over.

If the young men were younger, or in some way showing less maturity/lack of safe handling procedures, i could understand the issues.

But like i say, P!$$ on 'em! Ranges need members a WHOLE lot more than members need ranges! I wouldnt sweat it, they ban me, i go aon a smear campaign and in all likelyhood range goes goes belly up or sees a drastic loss in membership renewals and massive loss of revenue.

I doubt there are too many members of ANY range ANYWHERE gonna argue with a proud father doing what hes doing in these videos. Hell, even here the majority side with the dad, save some minor issues, and i doubt a one would vote for membership revocation or suspension.

I think most would would side with the dad when push came to shove...I know i would be looking for a different range when my membership came due if this came to my attention. I would also let the directors know EXACTLY why i was not renewing my membership and taking my coin to their competitors.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
hi guys the range rules were not broken we don't have to wear eye protection just ears.
i was within 6 ft at all times and my boys know what they are doing.
i have sorted the issue know they are fine to continue with shooting i will post a pic on the range next time with the new eye wear.
the ***hat has been told to stop interfering with people shooting.
Good to hear. I started my boys shooting at 4-5 years old at home,
we live on a farm, and at the range at 7. They understand that only
proper and mature adult behavior is allowed around firearms and when
reloading. If you want to horse around that's fine put the guns and
ammo away and go outside and have fun.

I am glad you went to the board/range officers and got things sorted out.

Our range officers have on several occasion observed my boys shooting
and have commented that I have trained them well. Looks and sounds
like you have too.

Tangent...
My last trip to the range some idiot made comment that I did not have
safety glasses on. I told him that safety glasses are not a requirement
per the range rules, albeit they are recommended. I did have to remind him
later, quietly and politely, that handling uncased firearms or ammunition when
people are down range was against the rules. As I walked away a range
officer dressed him down for the same. The range officer came to me next
and asked what I had said to him. I told him. The Range Officer knows me
and said it is likely that he will not be a member for long that he was an
agenda item for the next board meeting.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
Unfortunately guys after all my hard work my club has taken a very aggressive stance and decided my safety is an issue and suspended me from shooting in my club for 4 weeks with a possible removal of my membership and the boys. Apparently while I was using my iPhone no more than an arms length away from them it is deemed unsafe. I am totally gutted but I have the chance to reply to the accusation in 4 weeks. Wish me luck but I think they see me as trouble and I have no chance.
Damn, helps if I read the whole thread first. I suggest going to the board
and asking for an explanation so that you can correct your behavior and
practices in the future. Sounds like the asshat got to a board member or
members and told his side better. Be polite and professional.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy