how old is old enough? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > how old is old enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I'm gonna disagree here. The adult "supervising" these boys does not seem to be ready for that responsibility.

I don't see an adult in the video supervising the kids. If the supervising adult is the cameraman, then the adult is not paying enough attention to the kids. A supervising adult would not have allowed the safety lapses noted by FMJ.

It was good to see an adult visually check the actions before the kids went down range to retrieve targets.
I am all about safety and letting my kids have fun and grow to be men not nancy boys!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #22

bucket Jeeper and the guys I have since bought rather cool looking shooting glasses from the Remington website for the boys which ticked the boxes as they look cool, these two little guys are my pride and joy there safety is my primary concern. just to clear up a point i only used my iPhone free hand so my eyes were focused on the boys not the viewfinder.
all the points aside thanks for the support as i have shown the ***hole in my club what others think.
this seems to have worked as well as the cool glasses, it just annoys me that one man can destroy confidence in such lads, i cannot tell you how much the boys especially Ben (skipper) love to shoot, i have taught them how to live of the land and they will be self sufficient young men not Xbox playing junkies with no idea what it is to be a man in the real world.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #23

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Your boys were handling the guns properly ,and checked clear when done , I missed the finger on the trigger as stated above but if they were on my range my only concern would have been eye protection . Other than that they truely handled them selves and the rifles better.than a lot of adults I have seen . Who ask them to stop shooting at the range

Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I second who? did he give a reason? was it too being young? as for your boys confidence, just tell the guy was mean, and take them too the range again. From the sounds of you leaving earlier than expected, you have more rounds that they need to shoot. and glad to hear about the glasses.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Completely depends on the maturity level of the child.

Two suggestions from a dad to a dad, if i may.

1) reaffirm (get mean dad) about the finger on the trigger thing...saw a few lapses there. (personal pet peeve of mine and i jump my students asses every time i see it)

2) Get some safety glasses on them lads!!

Other than those two minor things, what i saw was two young men having a blast and nothing to get ones panties in a wad over. As i have stated before, i have seen MUCH worse outa 40 somethings.
As a dad also i jump on my kids all my kids about finger awarness. Safety glasses a must on the firing line. But as for how old is should you be, that depends on your kid and on you. With each one of my kids i started them different ages because of different factors. Maturity, the willingness to listen and learn, and the want to shoot.

Even if they didnt or dont want to shoot i still teach them gun safety.

That a$$ hat at the range doesnt know what hes talking about and obviously has lived a long lonely life. Keep up the good work dad and keep those kids shooting.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Afraid I must disagree (more so with Jeeper than Buckethead) ... Did you fellas NOT see how those boys were handling their weapons? Both of them seemed to know exactly what to do and how to load and unload them. I saw nothing wrong in how this was done. Just a proud father showing off his son's abilities at the range. They stayed safe the entire time... IN FACT, they waited for the all clear before even venturing down to retrieve their targets and replace them with fresh targets which I was also very impressed with. In fact the youngest one seemed very happy with the whole thing by skipping down towards the target.

My opinion the fella was wrong in what he did and ruined the boys day by being an ***hat!

Buck, I'm glad what you stated at the end though.. They handled their weapons well and I'd also not have an issue shooting next to them..
The kids seem to be doing fine, I have no issue with them. My issue was with the attention of the adult doing the supervision due to the camera. Kids at that age have attention spans of about 30 minutes, and without close attention, a kid can lapse into normal kid behavior and something can go wrong quickly.

The adult is doing good things too, and these should be acknowledged. He's taking his kids to the range and teaching them to shoot. He is spending time with his kids. These are great things. And you can be assured, with that kind of attention, those kids won't grow up to be nanny kids.

As they use to say, "Take your son hunting and you'll never have to go hunting for your son." Still holds true today.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #27

hi guys the objector at my club was against me taking children of such a young age onto the range! he thought they were too young and they should be blocked form shooting because of there age!!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah thats bull. find a different range. The last time I was at my range there was a girl who looked maybe 12 shooting a riffle with rounds that made a .270 look small. She was damn good with that gun.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
hi guys the objector at my club was against me taking children of such a young age onto the range! he thought they were too young and they should be blocked form shooting because of there age!!!!
Don't let it get you or your boys down shady... There's bound to always be one bone-head in a club. Carry on and just ignore him.

Jeepers? No harm no foul bud. I understand your point and Shady pointed out later that he was shooting his vid from his cell phone anyway so he did indeed have control of the situation..

Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
He was way wrong on that. Those boys are at a good age to learn about shooting sports. The range I'm now affiliated with would welcome those boys. The range has monthly youth shoots where the line is for youth shooters only for half of the day, and there is plenty of supervision and qualified instruction...and range fees are waived those days for youth, and they shoot for half price on other days.