how old is old enough? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > how old is old enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 18

c3 i love the fact you take the granddaughters to the range. my oldest is 18 and one day i will hopefully do the same.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
FMJ
thanks for the points the glasses is a bug bear of mine they hate them but good point
Simple enuff to cure. Te;ll if they want to shoot, they'll have proper safety equipment and follow the safety rules to a T...or they will WATCH from the truck! (least thats what worked on my kids..every kid, every parent and every situation varies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I was at the range yesterday, shooting next bench down from a gent with his daughter, age 6. Yep, pink cricket. Young lady was doing fine.

Most days, one of my granddaughters (the Anarchist-in-training) is shooting with me. She has been my shooting buddy for 6 years now, and is the young lady with the target rifle on the 100 yd line.

No one set age- when they are old enough to pay attention, follow instructions precisely, and understand what they are doing. People of ANY age vilating range rules or safety procedures are another matter.

Fellow took exception to the A-I-C shooting one day. She politely advised him that SHE was a member of the range association, and SHE was not the one handling a firearm while the range was cold. (He was the one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyshooter View Post
c3 i love the fact you take the granddaughters to the range. my oldest is 18 and one day i will hopefully do the same.
I CANNOT wait for G-babies and getting them started hunting, fishing and shooting. Wish that eldest (22 soon) would hurry up with his RN school and make me one!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Shady... Following along with all that the folks have said here, I saw nothing wrong with you sharing some quality time with your boys at the club. I'd have taken acception to the "fella" who came along to spoil your sons time and would have carried on. Some folks are just that way. Both of my children have their own .22's and have had them since they were double digit age. Could have gotten my daughter a little earlier but .... Oh well

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1134 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 658

seems fine. i would say probly the person that commented was annoyed with how rapidly they were shooting? or trigger finger control. perhaps he had good intentions but a lack of comunication skill. anyways. i wouldnt have said anything.. keep em shooting

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #15

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 10yo son who's been going to the range with me since he was 5, even though he just had a pellet gun then, he has been raised around guns and got his. 22 last christmas. Started impressing gun safety since his first nerf gun as a toddler, now he knows safety front to back and can honestly say id rather have him beside me at the range than most of the " grown-ups" I see doing ignorant things constantly. Sure he has plenty to learn but basic firearms safety, maintenance is down pat. Imo we all need to keep learning, in one aspect or another, to better ourselves as stuarts of the sport. I've yet to meet anyone who knows all, about firearms( although canebrake and c3 come dam close) So in point, I say keep up the good work, you know your childs abilities / level of responsibility more than anyone. If you feel that your boys are ready, then have at it, not many dads anymore willing to spend quality time w their children these days, imo shooting is a great way to do that. Teach em young, teach em correctly and you'll have the best shooting buddy there is hands down....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm gonna disagree here. The adult "supervising" these boys does not seem to be ready for that responsibility.

I don't see an adult in the video supervising the kids. If the supervising adult is the cameraman, then the adult is not paying enough attention to the kids. A supervising adult would not have allowed the safety lapses noted by FMJ.

It was good to see an adult visually check the actions before the kids went down range to retrieve targets.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 03-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another thing may be running. But I would also have to agree with the camera thing. At that age you need to be spot on with your advising. Adding a camera in your hands is a distraction to you. Bring a tripod next time. Also with both shooting it's hard to watch both at the same time. Have them take turns shooting. Like every magazine they switch who shoots. That way each guy has your full attention. But I don't think I saw anything from that clip that was worthy of getting kicked out of the range. They handled those guns pretty well and I wouldn't mind shooting mex to them.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Buckethead47...well stated.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I'm gonna disagree here. The adult "supervising" these boys does not seem to be ready for that responsibility.

I don't see an adult in the video supervising the kids. If the supervising adult is the cameraman, then the adult is not paying enough attention to the kids. A supervising adult would not have allowed the safety lapses noted by FMJ.

It was good to see an adult visually check the actions before the kids went down range to retrieve targets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
Another thing may be running. But I would also have to agree with the camera thing. At that age you need to be spot on with your advising. Adding a camera in your hands is a distraction to you. Bring a tripod next time. Also with both shooting it's hard to watch both at the same time. Have them take turns shooting. Like every magazine they switch who shoots. That way each guy has your full attention. But I don't think I saw anything from that clip that was worthy of getting kicked out of the range. They handled those guns pretty well and I wouldn't mind shooting mex to them.
Afraid I must disagree (more so with Jeeper than Buckethead) ... Did you fellas NOT see how those boys were handling their weapons? Both of them seemed to know exactly what to do and how to load and unload them. I saw nothing wrong in how this was done. Just a proud father showing off his son's abilities at the range. They stayed safe the entire time... IN FACT, they waited for the all clear before even venturing down to retrieve their targets and replace them with fresh targets which I was also very impressed with. In fact the youngest one seemed very happy with the whole thing by skipping down towards the target.

My opinion the fella was wrong in what he did and ruined the boys day by being an ***hat!

Buck, I'm glad what you stated at the end though.. They handled their weapons well and I'd also not have an issue shooting next to them..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The only reason I said running is for the hazard of slipping I've only been to an indoor range once and saw that sometimes the lead bounced out of the trap. More prone to slipping on a piece while running. The only major safety rule I saw was no glasses. It was brought up before so I didn't say anything. It is possible that could have been the reason of getting kicked out. At my range the strict rules are un case your gun at the line muzzle pointing down range. Don't touch any firearms during a cease fire. any firearm behind the line must be cased. Don't point a gun any other direction but down range. And mandatory eye and ear protection. all of those are under a 1 warning then banned for the day. Each range has different rules but I'm sure those are on that list. Like I said they handled those guns well. Don't let this I've time keep you from thinking they are too young to shoot.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp