Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   how old is old enough? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/how-old-old-enough-59473/)

shadyshooter 03-05-2012 10:08 AM

how old is old enough?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding ages that should be able to shoot with safety?
while at my local club my two youngest boys who are capable of complete gun safety were shooting and they were stopped as i was videoing them!
this club member (i would like to say stronger words but best not) basically said my kids could not handle guns safely and i was not focused on there shooting!
i was 3 feet behind them shooting a video on my phone to show my family, i am proud of my boys and they can shoot better than most people i know.
my youngest is 7yrs old and can strip, clean and rebuild the AR they both understand safety and love shooting so i wont be letting some ******* tell me they are not safe! and too young to shoot this sport needs young blood to survive and grow i don't think they are to young do you?

fmj 03-05-2012 11:10 AM

Completely depends on the maturity level of the child.

My youngest was handling his crickett just fine by himself @ 7....altho i WAS right behind him...within arms reach of the gun.

I have known 40+ year olds with less maturity and firearms safety common sense than my boys @8!!

Two suggestions from a dad to a dad, if i may.

1) reaffirm (get mean dad) about the finger on the trigger thing...saw a few lapses there. (personal pet peeve of mine and i jump my students asses every time i see it)

2) Get some safety glasses on them lads!!

Other than those two minor things, what i saw was two young men having a blast and nothing to get ones panties in a wad over. As i have stated before, i have seen MUCH worse outa 40 somethings.

silverado113 03-05-2012 11:22 AM

They looked pretty damn safe to me and some nice marksmanship to boot.

shadyshooter 03-05-2012 12:02 PM

FMJ
thanks for the points the glasses is a bug bear of mine they hate them but good point

shadyshooter 03-05-2012 12:04 PM

silverado113
thanks man my kids were not happy they could not carry on shooting!!

priell3 03-05-2012 01:18 PM

I started shooting at 5 years old and now I'm 51. I tought my son when he was 5 and now he is 17. Teach them early and keep driving home safety.

shadyshooter 03-05-2012 01:26 PM

Prie113
thanks for the support it means a great deal

Ranger-6 03-05-2012 01:42 PM

When I was 1-year old I got a wood carved gun.
When I was 2-years old I got a squirt gun.
When I was 3-years old I got a cap gun.
when I was 4-years old I got a starter pistol.
When I was 5-years old I got a dart gun.
When I was 6-year old I got a BB gun.
When I was 7-years old I got a pellet gun.
When I was 8-years old I got a .22.
When I was 9 years old I got a .410 shotgun.
When I was 10-years old I got a 30-30 rifle.

I was a killing machine from birth.......

c3shooter 03-05-2012 02:07 PM

I was at the range yesterday, shooting next bench down from a gent with his daughter, age 6. Yep, pink cricket. Young lady was doing fine.

Most days, one of my granddaughters (the Anarchist-in-training) is shooting with me. She has been my shooting buddy for 6 years now, and is the young lady with the target rifle on the 100 yd line.

No one set age- when they are old enough to pay attention, follow instructions precisely, and understand what they are doing. People of ANY age vilating range rules or safety procedures are another matter.

Fellow took exception to the A-I-C shooting one day. She politely advised him that SHE was a member of the range association, and SHE was not the one handling a firearm while the range was cold. :p (He was the one)

shadyshooter 03-05-2012 02:16 PM

Ranger
love the theme there what happens at 50?