Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How NOT to handle a hangfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1630 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yes... Well... Sort of.

On one hand, the Army was teaching the exact misfire procedures you described above. On the other hand they preach to "train as you fight" and drill to clear stoppages as quickly as possible.

The contradiction in training caused a buddy to loose all vision in his right eye when a misfire "cooked off" in a very hot M60 on the live fire range.

He moved to immediately clear the malfunction, pulled the charging handle to the rear, popped the feed tray cover, lifted the feed tray... And BANG! Hot brass shards to the face.

Army began issuing machine gunners clear Gargoyles shortly after.

I know... Big difference between a fire fight and plinking but most of the errors I see with guys immediately clearing Misfires are committed by LEO's and vets... Have to think the training is working against us on this one.

Tack
I have fired tens of thousands of rounds thru a 60! It fires from an open bolt which would require a different procedure. Because this platform gets VERY hot I would wait for a misfire to 'cook off' if the bbl was very hot before I did anything. If it did not cook off in about 30 seconds I would pull the op handle to the rear and see if the live round ejected, if it did eject I would pull the trigger and continue firing. If it did not eject I would lift the feed tray as quickly as possible and remove the belt and close it and pull the trigger again. If it did not fire I would allow it cool and remove the bbl and remove the round. If I were in a fire fight I would pull the bbl and sling it and replace it with a new one.
Sorry to hear your friend lost his sight, that was truly an 'accident' which is very uncommon. Murphy is alive and well!
By the way, in the MANY rounds I fired I never had this happen.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #42

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Who am I to stand in the way of natural selection...
Exactly. There's gun safety, but there's also

common sense. IMHO this guy may be

"too stupid to live". If he doesn't get killed by a gun

today, it'll be a car, power tool, or heavy machinery

tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #43

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Wow.

Just....wow.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #44

Liked 4553 Times on 2201 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I have fired tens of thousands of rounds thru a 60! It fires from an open bolt which would require a different procedure. Because this platform gets VERY hot I would wait for a misfire to 'cook off' if the bbl was very hot before I did anything. If it did not cook off in about 30 seconds I would pull the op handle to the rear and see if the live round ejected, if it did eject I would pull the trigger and continue firing. If it did not eject I would lift the feed tray as quickly as possible and remove the belt and close it and pull the trigger again. If it did not fire I would allow it cool and remove the bbl and remove the round. If I were in a fire fight I would pull the bbl and sling it and replace it with a new one.
Sorry to hear your friend lost his sight, that was truly an 'accident' which is very uncommon. Murphy is alive and well!
By the way, in the MANY rounds I fired I never had this happen.
I witnessed 2 M60 "cook offs" in my 6 years of Infantry service... Scary stuff.

Tack

Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

5 yrs running a .22 range for the BSA. It was a rare day when we didn't have at least 1 misfire. The recommended proceedure was to wait 30 sec., remove the offending cartridge and place it into a coffee can with a second smaller can inside. The space between the cans was to be filled with sand and the inner can filler with penetrating oil. A board with a cinder block atop was placed on top.
I wasn't comfortable with the uncertainty of when would the cartridge be "dead", so after everyone was gone in the evening, i'd grab the lead of the misfire with my Leatherman and push the brass case with my thumb. Without failure the powder would have chips of primer in it.
The primers failed to stay in place because the ammo -case after case was moved from the walk in freezer in the spring to the range and in the fall back to the freezer to be locked away for the winter.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I witnessed 2 M60 "cook offs" in my 6 years of Infantry service... Scary stuff.

Tack
Tack,
The M-60 fires from a open bolt. How do you get 'cook offs' with out a round in the chamber???? Do you mean a hang fire which 'cooked off' while it was being removed???
The M-16/M-4, on the other hand, fires from a closed bolt and a VERY hot chamber could cause a 'cook off'.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-10-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #47

Liked 4553 Times on 2201 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Tack,
The M-60 fires from a open bolt. How do you get 'cook offs' with out a round in the chamber???? Do you mean a hang fire which 'cooked off' while it was being removed???
The M-16/M-4, on the other hand, fires from a closed bolt and a VERY hot chamber could cause a 'cook off'.
Yes Jim... A round fails to fire causing the bold to remain forward.

Immediate action is to pull the bolt to the rear, pop the feed tray cover and lift the feed tray to ensure the chamber is clear before reloading the belt.

When pulling the bolt to the rear does not extract a live round, and when the chamber is hot enough, that live round will "cook off".

Old 05-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Yes Jim... A round fails to fire causing the bold to remain forward.

Immediate action is to pull the bolt to the rear, pop the feed tray cover and lift the feed tray to ensure the chamber is clear before reloading the belt.

When pulling the bolt to the rear does not extract a live round, and when the chamber is hot enough, that live round will "cook off".
Roger that. I have had a 'runaway' which could be a problem until you break the belt, but never the problem you have described. Sorry to hear it caused serious injury! But sometimes it is just a matter of being the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #49

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

We actually show this in our intro class for a demonstration of a hangfire. It is fun to watch the classes reactions when he turns the gun towards his head...

Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #50

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Millimeters away from a lobotomy... May have actually increased his IQ...