How NOT to handle a hangfire - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How NOT to handle a hangfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #31
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9525

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I have seen idiots on the range look down the barrel of a handgun when it went click no bang...

I think this is the true cause of some of the weird range suicides we read about. Idiot goes to a range and shoots self. Click look bang.

I asked one of these idiots once what he expected to see... he said and I quote "I dunno....". I guess they just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.
I would go crazy on anyone I saw looking down the barrel of their firearm.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #33

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Yup me too. At the very least I would shout "don't do that!"

Then I would recite the enumerated most important gun rules to them:

#1 - always treat a gun as if it is loaded even if it is not

#2 - never point a gun at anything/anyone that you do not intend to kill

#3 - keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot

#4 - know your target, it's backstop, and everything around and between you and the target before shooting

#5 - always keep the muzzle pointed downrange.

There are lots more, dozens, but these first one pretty much cover the situation with #1, #2, and #5.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Who am I to stand in the way of natural selection...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Correct me if I am wrong, but a 'hang fire' is a 'miss fire' that, after a short time, goes 'bang'???
So the real question here how do you handle a miss fire is it not????
I was always taught, and I currently teach, if you have a miss fire keep the firearm pointed down range and wait at least 30 seconds. If at that point the 'miss fire' has not became a 'hang fire' you should use the second strike if that is an option, if not eject the round.
Is this not what you have been taught???

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but a 'hang fire' is a 'miss fire' that, after a short time, goes 'bang'???
I was always taught, and I currently teach, if you have a miss fire keep the firearm pointed down range and wait at least 30 seconds. If at that point the 'miss fire' has not became a 'hang fire' you should use the second strike if that is an option, if not eject the round.
Yes, but I was always told 1 minute. Opinions vary, apparently. Fortunately I've found such issues to be quite rare.
Regardless of time allotted, I think it can be safely stated that no good will ever come from trying to look down the barrel.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?
Cnon Likes This 
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Y'all forgot the step requiring lots of quiet cursing.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 AM   #38
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1320 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Ummm.... why quiet? Everyone around is supposed to be wearing hearing protection, right?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #39
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1320 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Quote:
You are correct. A hang fire is a miss fire that goes bang after a while. I've heard 30 seconds or 1 minute from different people. I've heard about using second strike if possible and ejecting the round if not.

But I've never, ever, not once, heard of looking down the barrel as part of the procedure.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Cnon Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #40

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Yes... Well... Sort of.

On one hand, the Army was teaching the exact misfire procedures you described above. On the other hand they preach to "train as you fight" and drill to clear stoppages as quickly as possible.

The contradiction in training caused a buddy to loose all vision in his right eye when a misfire "cooked off" in a very hot M60 on the live fire range.

He moved to immediately clear the malfunction, pulled the charging handle to the rear, popped the feed tray cover, lifted the feed tray... And BANG! Hot brass shards to the face.

Army began issuing machine gunners clear Gargoyles shortly after.

I know... Big difference between a fire fight and plinking but most of the errors I see with guys immediately clearing Misfires are committed by LEO's and vets... Have to think the training is working against us on this one.

Tack