Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How not to do it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How not to do it!

Heres one to the newbies out there. If you have a misfire, wait 30 secs and extract the cartridge. DO NOT do what I as a former military marksman and range safety officer should have known better did and extracted the misfired round instantly and fed another up the spout!

With what happened next was a. I was Bloody Lucky
and b. I destoryed a brand Bloody new Marlin 925MC!

Had I looked at the misfired round I would have noticed that the projectile wasnt on the round. So when I pulled the trigger, one CCI MaxiMag +V .22mag proji went straight into the back of the previous one and the additional powder left in the barrel along with the new burning powder, blew the bolt back by 3mm. This was enough for my face to get burnt, hot metal cut my left wrist open and now, 4 weeks later I still cannot hear properly out of my left ear. Addtionally as I said I totally destoryed a brand new rifle. It cant be replace by Marlin as it was a ammunition malfuction, and I doubt Whinchester (the makers of the first round which misfired) would accept any liliblty for my stupidity!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #2

Default An excellent reminder that safety comes first.

Thank you for your story. We have all "bent the rules" on occasion and it can be a major problem.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How would waiting 30 seconds have changed the outcome of this story?

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #4

it wouldnt, but normal military misfire drill is to wait 30secs in case the round fires. And I would have probably looked at the casing had I not been in a hurry to shoot. It wasnt onther thing other than a zeroing shoot so I should have been a little more carefull.

The ocean has no compassion, no faith, no law, no memory. Its fickleness is to be held true to man's purpose only by an undaunted resolution and by sleepless, armed, jealous vigilance in which, perhaps, there has always been more hate than love. -Joseph Conrad The Mirror of the Sea

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, in that 30 seconds you might remember the potential of follow on damage if you did not do a thorough inspection of the weapon.
Not that I meant to re-kinder an old thread, but you should be practicing and shooting with you brain focused on the tool first and results second...especially following a malfunction.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
Actually, in that 30 seconds you might remember the potential of follow on damage if you did not do a thorough inspection of the weapon.
Not that I meant to re-kinder an old thread, but you should be practicing and shooting with you brain focused on the tool first and results second...especially following a malfunction.
from another newbie's standpoint, it looks as if the following procedure should be performed in case of misfire:

1. wait at least 30 seconds.

2. carefully remove the suspect cartridge

3. inspect the cartridge.

4. inspect the barrel and breech for remnants

5. in case of powder residue, clean the barrel and breech.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow. That is quite a scary tale and one that is good for all of us, regardless of experience, to hear and take note of. We all have done something stupid or rash through the years, I am sure, so it is good to constantly stay vigilant when behind the trigger.

Here's to your health improving and your luck continuing.

D

Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #8

this is how not to do it

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Hold on tight, dumb a$$.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #10

A lot going on there. Looks like a new guy with a gun he has never shot before. Pretty much on his own while everyone else is doing their own thing. First of all he should have been given some basic gun rules such as " if something goes wrong, holster or set down the gun" He gets hurt, not sure he shot himself but at any rate the first thing he does is turn around with gun in hand probably muzzeled the guy next to him as well as a few others in the room. Another situation that may have been prevented with a little sit down, classroom training. As far as the 30 sec rule. Great idea on the range or target shooting. Tactical shoots is a different game. 30 sec. could cost you your life. You train to clear your gun ASAP. Just like you would in a real life situation. be safe