Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   How not to do it! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/how-not-do-428/)

SonarMB 05-16-2007 11:58 AM

How not to do it!

Heres one to the newbies out there. If you have a misfire, wait 30 secs and extract the cartridge. DO NOT do what I as a former military marksman and range safety officer should have known better did and extracted the misfired round instantly and fed another up the spout!:(

With what happened next was a. I was Bloody Lucky
and b. I destoryed a brand Bloody new Marlin 925MC!

Had I looked at the misfired round I would have noticed that the projectile wasnt on the round. So when I pulled the trigger, one CCI MaxiMag +V .22mag proji went straight into the back of the previous one and the additional powder left in the barrel along with the new burning powder, blew the bolt back by 3mm. This was enough for my face to get burnt, hot metal cut my left wrist open and now, 4 weeks later I still cannot hear properly out of my left ear.:eek: Addtionally as I said I totally destoryed a brand new rifle. It cant be replace by Marlin as it was a ammunition malfuction, and I doubt Whinchester (the makers of the first round which misfired) would accept any liliblty for my stupidity!

allmons 05-16-2007 02:46 PM

An excellent reminder that safety comes first.

Thank you for your story. We have all "bent the rules" on occasion and it can be a major problem.

Splatter 05-16-2007 05:50 PM

How would waiting 30 seconds have changed the outcome of this story?

SonarMB 05-20-2007 05:40 AM

it wouldnt, but normal military misfire drill is to wait 30secs in case the round fires. And I would have probably looked at the casing had I not been in a hurry to shoot. It wasnt onther thing other than a zeroing shoot so I should have been a little more carefull.

timdog 03-29-2008 10:50 PM

Actually, in that 30 seconds you might remember the potential of follow on damage if you did not do a thorough inspection of the weapon.
Not that I meant to re-kinder an old thread, but you should be practicing and shooting with you brain focused on the tool first and results second...especially following a malfunction.

you_talkin_2_me 03-30-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timdog (Post 20357)
Actually, in that 30 seconds you might remember the potential of follow on damage if you did not do a thorough inspection of the weapon.
Not that I meant to re-kinder an old thread, but you should be practicing and shooting with you brain focused on the tool first and results second...especially following a malfunction.

from another newbie's standpoint, it looks as if the following procedure should be performed in case of misfire:

1. wait at least 30 seconds.

2. carefully remove the suspect cartridge

3. inspect the cartridge.

4. inspect the barrel and breech for remnants

5. in case of powder residue, clean the barrel and breech.

Dillinger 03-31-2008 03:39 PM

Wow. That is quite a scary tale and one that is good for all of us, regardless of experience, to hear and take note of. We all have done something stupid or rash through the years, I am sure, so it is good to constantly stay vigilant when behind the trigger.

Here's to your health improving and your luck continuing. :D

D

gnoll 04-02-2008 02:59 AM

this is how not to do it

robocop10mm 04-03-2008 12:29 PM

Hold on tight, dumb a$$.

MCline 04-14-2008 03:41 AM

A lot going on there. Looks like a new guy with a gun he has never shot before. Pretty much on his own while everyone else is doing their own thing. First of all he should have been given some basic gun rules such as " if something goes wrong, holster or set down the gun" He gets hurt, not sure he shot himself but at any rate the first thing he does is turn around with gun in hand probably muzzeled the guy next to him as well as a few others in the room. Another situation that may have been prevented with a little sit down, classroom training. As far as the 30 sec rule. Great idea on the range or target shooting. Tactical shoots is a different game. 30 sec. could cost you your life. You train to clear your gun ASAP. Just like you would in a real life situation. be safe