How To Keep Range Neighbors Happy - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How To Keep Range Neighbors Happy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have never once in my life sold a collard! not once, as in never!
Word is that your street name is Georgia....

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Word is that your street name is Georgia....

ST, shame on you! i'm from Texas and i drive Dodges!

if i were to sell collards out the back of my truck, it would look more like this!
dodge-truck-farmer.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #24
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9934

Has to wonder if the local rifle range had read this 5 years ago, would they still have the old 500 yard range open today? the local Fish and Game clud had both the LR rifle and Skeet ranges closed about 4 years due to neighbors complaining about the noise on Sundays and Thursdays. to say that a majority of the members are a little rude and unprofessional is an understatement. When we shoot the rifles here in NY (Need to find new ranges once we are fully moved in to the PA house. Erie Area.), we now have to drive 2.5 hours to find a range over 100 yards. Long story short, if the club had done better with public relations, they would still be in full operation, not hamstringed like they are.

Great post Sniper. I will e-mail a link to it to a couple of the local clubs managers for them to read and share with their members. With the Unsafe Act on top of the normal issues in NY they can use all the help they can get.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 24

When they put the ranges in the neighbors moved in around it.......Like airports; build one and a city pops up.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Sniper:

"..... Personal Story: Myself and 5 of my friends are the only ones on a lease in Texas and have been for years. Several years ago the rancher who owns the lease was the victim of a large range fire. The range fire burnt almost every bit of fence down on the thousands of acres of the ranch. Raising cattle this was a disaster! We became a work crew and as always friends with the rancher and formed work parties to help him and his workers replace all the fence destroyed. This past year since he is getting up in age and his health is not the best. He advised if something happened to him, he wanted to take care of all of us. And did consider us all as friends not only as leeses of the ground over the past years. He then this past season signed a 10 year lease with his attorney and us that we can stay on the ground for 10 years. And there will be no increases in price over the 10 years. It is a family ranch when he passes away. This was nothing new since he had not raised the lease fees in years. So moral of the story if you are sincere and good to people most will be the same with you! An ounce of kindness goes a long way! That is why I thought the above information on the firearms range and neighbors was interesting."

All good "tips" but they can be summed up as being neighborly ! Back when I was a yonker this was strong praise in a lot of communities ! Its an art, alas, we seem to have all too frequently lost, (or been driven from by "new complaints' demands), as the arrogance of money isolates so many from local society. >MW

Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Range Neighbors?

Over the course of our tenure in Oak Grove, Fort Harmar Rifle Club has tried to be a good neighbor, but to no avail. When we were founded, we were the end of the road, literally. The one neighbor on the northern side would not sell any of his farm land to us but the land behind and on the other side of the range was available but the "old men" who were the powers that were in the club, would not even consider buying the land. They said, who would build next to a shooting range? Well, what used to be cornfields are now houses with wives, kids, cats and dogs...and complaints. One of our own members told some developers we would be moving soon (not true at the time) and people bought and built homes behind the impact area of our range. So much for the collective wisdom of the "old men." We tried and tried to be good neighbors, took all suggestions from the neighbors to heart, but our outdoor rifle range was closed and we did eventually move. The indoor range and club house is still there but some of the neighbors are still unhappy at that. Hopefully, we will still be there for decades to come!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #28

Liked 61 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The last range I went to, is several miles away. People moved, in across the rural road and immediately began making problems. They finally closed the rifle range. The Skeet range, I dunno. I would like to do some shooting, while i still have some use of left arm.
The People knew where they were building was near a rifle range and skeet range. Those people probably didn't even own a gun. As more and more people from the Northeast invade, for our cheap taxes, and prices, to them, they bring their problems with them and destroy everything. We now have more drug problems, 20 years or so, and it came from outside. There's an informal range quite near the house. As long as they don't shoot at midnight no problem.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #29
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9934

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
The last range I went to, is several miles away. People moved, in across the rural road and immediately began making problems. They finally closed the rifle range. The Skeet range, I dunno. I would like to do some shooting, while i still have some use of left arm.
The People knew where they were building was near a rifle range and skeet range. Those people probably didn't even own a gun. As more and more people from the Northeast invade, for our cheap taxes, and prices, to them, they bring their problems with them and destroy everything. We now have more drug problems, 20 years or so, and it came from outside. There's an informal range quite near the house. As long as they don't shoot at midnight no problem.
Not all of us that are escaping the oppression of some of the northeastern states are Antis. While living in NY we used to go to a rod and gun club that had a rifle range and a skeet range in addition to a trap house. For most of the last 10 years, my family and I were members there.

About 3 years ago, a middle aged couple from Buffalo Ny moved into a house about a quarter mile down the road from the club. About a month after they moved in, the town ordered us to shut down the rifle range (one of only 2 in our area that went out to 500 yards) due to complaints about the noise, and safety concerns from our new neighbors. They felt that it was not safe for them because someone could accidentally shoot across the road, and hit their hous (never mind the fact that the range ran Northeast, and their house was southeast of saif range ).

6 months later, they built a barn, and put in a trailer for their son on their land. once he was moved in, he started complaining about the noise on Sundays and Thursdays from the skeet range. guess what got shut down next. his reasoning. his kids played in the woods across the street from said lanes, and he was worried about them getting shot (Not even his or their land, it was land that belonged to the club which we used as a parking lot during big events. the woods were behind where we parked, and some of us hunted there.)

The club is still up and going, but it is nowhere near as busy, and membership is way down. Some have left the state (as my family is doing now. Most of the move is done, 2 weeks to go), others have left for friendlier locations with neighbors who are members. the few hangers on do what they can to keep it open which has included letting go of 2 RSOs, and safety violations are at an all time high (part of my reason for leaving was that I was sick and tired of looking at muzzles going to and from the lanes. i once had to unload one member's shotgun inside the clubhouse ). Not a safe enviornment IMHO.

Not ALL of us Yankees are anti gun and anti fun Tinbucket. then again, some of us spent our formative year living off of fresh roadkill, vegetables we grew in our own ground, game taken in the field, and what we caught in the coastal waterways of the South before moving up North. Someday I will come home again.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #30
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6966 Times on 3505 Posts
Likes Given: 7576

I live in the boonies so my neighbors are few and far between. Both me and my closest neighbor back stop a mountain goat steep downhill grade 600' of very thick brush, to a property that doesnt get any foot traffic ever. We both have our little shooting berms and also do our own rodent and varmint control (Tree rats, Groundhogs,...). At least once or twice a week, one of us will plink something in the back 40. It does shock guests a bit till we explain this is normal for Irish Settlement!

I guess that kinda qualifies as happy range partners!