How good are Americans at using foreign weapons? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

How good are Americans at using foreign weapons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Hey I'm not knocking him if he really was involved in Bosnia-Serbia civil war that was some rough **** I had friends who went there with the un forces and still think it was some bad bush and the in kept them pretty much away from most of the fighting. In that situation where you are not part of a formal countries army and there is no standard of gear and weapons I can see him coming across a great deal of different types of firearms and gaining a decent amount of knowledge on the subject and hands on experience with weapons we would never see in America. Now that said I still believe that Americans especially in the military have the advantage to figuring out foreign weapons because not only do we use more advanced designs of our own that make it easier to figure out simple mechanics of aks and akms. We watch movies by the dozen that show these weapons in use we play games that are hyper realistic down to the last detail. We have unrestricted internet access unlike some countries. I feel as if you put a weapon in front of me I can pick it up and operate it I can certainly clear a malfunction and reload it but it may take me a sec to figure out breaking it down and cleaning it

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I don't believe he was in the war. I think he's fantasizing to prove his point. A guy that owns a restraunt near me was in that war. He's missing fingers because they tortured him. He doesn't talk about it. Mark likes to talk....a lot.....as judged by his past forum posts. Nice guy, but I'm doubting he fought in any war.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #82

Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
If you have your pistol with you...in case you haven't, you will simply do nothing.Sure, your 51 years experience it's an advantage but, in the majority of cases, the "time to figure out how to use a firearm" it's a luxury that most people may not afford.You call it "fantasy":Try to read some police department blogs, newsletter, feeds and official reports.You'll be surprised how "realistic" is my "fantasy writing" and how common are foreing weapons in the USA.
I got it covered for you. If I have pants on I have my Pistol. If I'm at my friends house he's gone and I have my pants off. Well I'd be more worried about my friend coming home then some gang of felons.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I don't believe he was in the war. I think he's fantasizing to prove his point. A guy that owns a restraunt near me was in that war. He's missing fingers because they tortured him. He doesn't talk about it. Mark likes to talk....a lot.....as judged by his past forum posts. Nice guy, but I'm doubting he fought in any war.

I was in a war I talk about it a lot too. Some people cope differently some go home never talk about it again and are fine some drink themselves to death some talk some don't doesn't mean he is lying. People are built differently. I talk about it cause it helps when I first got home and got out of the army I kept everything in and started a spiral of self destruction until I met my wife and had a child and was pointed to a vets group for PTSD I was a miserable wretch. Now I talk about it I joke about the fun stuff we did with some of my friends out there(even the two I lost out there) I talk about some scary situations I was in too. Just cause he is asking hypotheticals doesn't mean anything he is asking to get opinions and yes he has strong opinions of his own, but then we all do on certain issues ( ie glocks , 1911's, pro choice pro life) and that's part of our freedoms

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #84

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post

Exactly--I have several friends that have served or are serving in Afganistain/Iraq and never talk about it other than to say they are crap holes. The only guy I know who talks about his war was a National Guard MP that would like you to think he is Rambo.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
I was in a war I talk about it a lot too. Some people cope differently some go home never talk about it again and are fine some drink themselves to death some talk some don't doesn't mean he is lying. People are built differently. I talk about it cause it helps when I first got home and got out of the army I kept everything in and started a spiral of self destruction until I met my wife and had a child and was pointed to a vets group for PTSD I was a miserable wretch. Now I talk about it I joke about the fun stuff we did with some of my friends out there(even the two I lost out there) I talk about some scary situations I was in too. Just cause he is asking hypotheticals doesn't mean anything he is asking to get opinions and yes he has strong opinions of his own, but then we all do on certain issues ( ie glocks , 1911's, pro choice pro life) and that's part of our freedoms

I'll bet you a dollar he didn't fight in the Bosnia/serbia war.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

He might of he might not of it's not up to me to decide. If he is lying then one day he will have to atone for that if not then he is not it's not for me to judge. I give people the benefit of the doubt. Could it be that your making a false judgement because of the way he types things? I mean it's obvious that he is foreign himself throughout his postings with spelling errors and grammar mess ups which in all actuality are not that bad for someone who has English for a second language, but maybe the points he tries to make come off sounding wrong because of that impediment?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #87

I'm just stoking the fire man. All jokes aside who knows...

Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #88

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Can't we all just get along? (guess not)

I've always made it a point to get to know how things in

general worked. Like most, I can: do repair sewing, ride a horse,

ride a bicycle, swim,

shoot and maintain a variety of guns,

chop down a tree ( yes, there is a proper way to

swing an ax, maul, and sledgehammer, and a right way to

cut wood), start and maintain a fire, cook, backpack, do first

aid, fight a fire, and use a fire extinguisher properly, change

a tire, patch an innertube, amongst many other useful things.

But there are simply things in life beyond our control, and we are

all going to die one day. Learning and accepting this is also a

valuable skill...

As such, I never found the need to figure out the field-stripping

and operating techniques of every firearm on the planet.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #89

Liked 2504 Times on 1474 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Well, This weekend i handed a friend of mine a semi-auto AKM clone. First time he handled one, and he has been in the US military for 19 years, and is very familiar with the M16/M4, and several other small arms in the USMC inventory. He watched me put a mag in, release teh safety, adn charge the rifle and shoot it. I emptied it, handed it to him with a fresh mag. He made the weapon ready in a flawless manner, and proceeded to get 100% hits on a 10" gong at 100 yds from the standing position.

No formal training, just "monkey see, monkey do".

Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #90

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Guys, I think Elvis has left the building...