Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How good are Americans at using foreign weapons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not a lot of street criminals here with RPGs. As far as anyone can use-
1. What happens if you fire one from the left shoulder?
2. 10 mph wind from right to left. Target at 300 meters. For windage, do you hold to the right or left of target, and why?
I don't know about #1, but I know the answer for #2. It is a rocket afterall.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

Liked 355 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
American weapons are much more "complicated"(somebody would say "better designed and engineered").
I doint see how any countries could say their firearms are better designed than other countries. Some will be better some will be won't . The fact that American soldiers uses these weapons over their own designs is a example of this. So American soldiers are already familiar with some foreign weapons.
untitled.jpg   images35fpn3sb.jpg   imagesd91bzw24.jpg  

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Liked 734 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

I watched something on one of the cable news channels a while back on this topic..US Soldiers are not to use enemy weapons unless life or death situation. Reason being..the AK has a distinctly different sound to it..and could draw friendly fire. Some interviewed said units would keep a few AKs they collected around in case they shot somebody they weren't supposed to. and needed to plant one.....Never been there....so dont know how true any of that is....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

[QUOTE=rn-cindy;1505916]I watched something on one of the cable news channels a while back on this topic..US Soldiers are not to use enemy weapons unless life or death situation. Reason being..the AK has a distinctly different sound to it..and could draw friendly fire. Some interviewed said units would keep a few AKs they collected around in case they shot somebody they weren't supposed to. and needed to plant one.....Never been there....so dont know how true any of that is....[/QUOTE

I guess the word did not get out to everybody.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8383 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

1. The launcher has a gas relief port on the right side. When firing from the right shoulder, vents away from you. Fire one from the left shoulder, jet of gas goes into your neck.

2. Yep- it is a rocket. However, the exhaust ports for he rocket motor are not at the rear of the round, but forward, right behind the warhead. Fins are on the back. Because of that, the RPG steers INTO a crosswind. If wind is right to left, your point of aim is to the LEFT of target. Wind will turn it back towards the target.

rpg7.jpg
Most folks that have seen a round for the RPG see it before it is fired. Fins are not visible, unfold in flight.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well....since most of my guns are foreign, I would say this American is pretty good with them.

"Feuer Frei!"

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #17

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I own or have owned an SKS, Mosin Nagant, Yugo Mauser, Swiss K-31, AR-15, numerous Bolt and semi auto guns. I do my own gunsmithing. I do not believe that a gun exhists that I could not figure out in very short order.

Any true "Gun Guy" should be able to figure out how to use an enemy's weapon in pretty short order.

There are a lot of things that right handed people don't consider. If I were to pick up a bullpup type of rifle I would shoot it weak handed so as not to eject hot brass into my own face. That would be important to know as I am left handed.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 02-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1593 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 787

That was one of the things I enjoyed in the Army. In RVN I was task with destroying the weapons caches we found so I got to pick through them and keep what I wanted and what I need for 'scrounging'.
Secondly, I spent 8 year in an SF unit so part of our 'training' was becoming familiar with as many small arms as possible.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Mark_Van_Goth Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1380 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I hope I never have to find out if I can fix any foreign military weapons. If I am trying to fix a foreign military weapon it is red dawn in real life.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I hope I never have to find out if I can fix any foreign military weapons. If I am trying to fix a foreign military weapon it is red dawn in real life.
If you can fix an AR...then you will have no problem with Eastern or Western European weaponry.

"Feuer Frei!"