Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How do you know if a gun is safe? (not a joke)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do you know if a gun is safe? (not a joke)

A friend showed me his Remington 870 shotgun that he just got. The end of the barrel, about 1 inch in shows a noticable bulge. Not big, but definitely enough to be visible to the naked eye. He was going to get a new barrel for the gun figuring that's all it would need. I really didn't have an answer for him other than perhaps to have a gunsmith check it out, however factoring in a gun smith fee and a new barrel and he's almost to the price of a new one.

Suggestions? What would cause the barrel to bulge like that... besides the fact that something got caught in there? Would a simple barrel replacement be enough to have faith in the gun now being safe to shoot?

He said the guy he bought it from told him he'd shot stuff even with the barrel bulge so it worked fine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7659 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 9868

Quote:
Originally Posted by CulexPipiens View Post
A friend showed me his Remington 870 shotgun that he just got. The end of the barrel, about 1 inch in shows a noticable bulge. Not big, but definitely enough to be visible to the naked eye. He was going to get a new barrel for the gun figuring that's all it would need. I really didn't have an answer for him other than perhaps to have a gunsmith check it out, however factoring in a gun smith fee and a new barrel and he's almost to the price of a new one.

Suggestions? What would cause the barrel to bulge like that... besides the fact that something got caught in there? Would a simple barrel replacement be enough to have faith in the gun now being safe to shoot?

He said the guy he bought it from told him he'd shot stuff even with the barrel bulge so it worked fine.
Have a qualified gunsmith check it out and if he says that it will be fine with a new barrel....

SELL IT TO HIM!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #3

Liked 1630 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

That could be caused by a partial blockage of the barrel. Say someone let some mud get in the end of the barrel. Not enough mud to blow it up. But just enough to bulge before it let go. If you really want to give it a try I would lay it on a bench with some light loads like bird shot. Put a couple sand bags on top of the shotgun. Tie a string to the trigger and stand back. That is how I shoot anything questionable the first couple of shots. Make sure anyone around knows what you are doing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 11-11-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

That must be an older one when Remington knew how to make a barrel. The newer ones tend to burst from obstructions.

The patterning will probably be really lousy. New barrel is called for. Midwayusa has a good selection at reasonable prices.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

One of the things I have seen several times with both Remington and Mossberg is a slight bulge near the muzzle. I investigate and found that apparently the choke tube had worked loose and allowed the plastic shot cup/wad to force itself between the choke tube and the threats in the bbl. None of them are what I would call 'dangerous' to shoot, but I am betting they would have a VERY erratic pattern. We simply replaced the bbl's and they were fine.
To answer your question, yes it is safe to replace the bbl and keep right on shooting. I have four (4) different bbl's for my 870 so I can use it for about anything you can think of using a shot gun for.
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

I was under the impression the bulge on his gun was at the breech.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

The breech end or the muzzle end? He says the bulge is "one inch in". Since it is fired into the breech.........

Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #9

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

the bad barrel could easily be shortened and used for HD or short range bird hunting.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Have your friend take the shotgun to a good gunsmith, and have him cut the barrel down to about 19-20 inches. Have him put on a new front bead, and you have an inexpensive HD barrel. While there, check to see if the smith has any used 870 barrels. I picked up a used bird barrel for $80 bucks at my LGS last year. It's in a different finish than my 870 express, but it shoots fine and was far cheaper than a new one. Also, check gun shows in your area.
Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?