Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How do you carry your long guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default How do you carry your long guns?

I'm not at all familiar with AR's or auto-loaders in general so feel free to explain to me with those as well, but in what 'condition' do you carry your bolt guns?

When I'm walking around with mine the magazine is always loaded, safety off, I make sure nothing is down the spout, then I pull the trigger while I'm closing the bolt so it's uncocked. Only when I identify a target do I cycle the bolt, and the safety goes on until I'm ready to fire. What about you guys?

Another question for anyone who knows, I'm always reading on here that it's not the tension on the spring that wears them out, it's the continued cycling of them. Are snap caps for shotguns a scam then?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #2

i usually carry in the same condition, however, my safety is always on unless i'm ready to fire. just a habit..don't have to worry about making a mistake.

as far as the snap caps, i prefer having snap caps for my shotgun to safely practice loading, and unloading drills.

swapping from buck to slug under stress, or doing a tactical reload while maintaining sight picture is an important skill, and i practice with snapcaps every now and then to stay sharp.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts

Yes we found his body or what was left of it. He was ripped up real bad. The Magpies had eat his eyes out before we got to him. Damn I couldn't believe it we checked his rifle. He didn't have a round in the chamber. That Grizz hit him so fast he didn't have a chance to chamber a round. What the Hell was he doing out there with an empty rifle?? true story. Unloaded firearms are useless.

DK

Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Yes we found his body or what was left of it. He was ripped up real bad. The Magpies had eat his eyes out before we got to him. Damn I couldn't believe it we checked his rifle. He didn't have a round in the chamber. That Grizz hit him so fast he didn't have a chance to chamber a round. What the Hell was he doing out there with an empty rifle?? true story. Unloaded firearms are useless.

DK
I think if I was hunting dangerous game it'd be different, but there's not too many Grizzly bears down here

Just Dropbears

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Mode of carry for me is situationally dependent. Hunting... round chambered, safety on. defense shotgun... mag loaded, safety off (pump)

I'm NOT a certified metallurgist, but being a retired toolmaker, and having been involved with firearms for around 40 years... It's been my experience that springs will not wear out simply from being compressed, or extended, as long as they are not physically compromised.. (damage, or rust, for example) I'm in the camp that says a compressed spring will outlast a spring that is continually compressed, and released (or cycled).

Failure Modes of Mechanical Springs
William H. Skewis
Support Systems Technology Corporation
Mechanical springs are used in machine designs to exert force, provide flexibility, and to store or absorb energy. Springs are manufactured for many different applications such as compression, extension, torsion, power, and constant force. Depending on the application, a spring may be in a static, cyclic or dynamic operating mode. A spring is usually considered to be static if a change in deflection or load occurs only a few times, such as less than 10,000 cycles during the expected life of the spring. A static spring may remain loaded for very long periods of time. The failure modes of interest for static springs include spring relaxation, set and creep.
Cyclic springs are flexed repeatedly and can be expected to exhibit a higher failure rate due to fatigue.

The rest of the article, can be found here... http://www.mechrel.com/inc/files/editor/files/Failure%20Modes%20of%20Mechanical%20Springs.pdf

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

round in the chamber safety on same as my 1911 when im in the field. at home the defensive long gun shotgun or ar15 depending on mood is round in the chamber safety on. since they never get pointed at anything im not willing to ventilate whether they got rounds or not better to be safe and ready than have to fumble around charging a rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default How I carry in the field

magazine box loaded chamber empty, safety off. never use safety at all unless I am going in after a wounded bear with a round chambered. That is the only time I carry a chambered round with a bolt action rifle. I figure if I spot a critter I want to shoot I have plenty of time to cycle the bolt and chamber a round. I do not like walking around with one up the pipe even if the hammer is down and the rifle is not cocked. Makes me unconforntable.
I live and hunt in the interior of northern British Columbia Canada, in grizz country. I have bears sitting in my driveway and in the front yard in the spring.

Last edited by eaglesnester; 03-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

depends on what I am doing.

walking into my stand for deer hunting it is loaded safety on.

Ground hog hunting is loaded with safety off.

talking to the firing line of the range, unloaded no bolt.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always have one in the chamber safety on or off depends on whats going around me, I went hog hunting and had a very angry one charge me took 12 rounds to stop her. Or if I'm just walking around looking for anything one in the tube safety on and barrel pointed down.

I know it sounds odd but my paranoia has kept me living and I'm not about to mess with my mojo.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
I think if I was hunting dangerous game it'd be different, but there's not too many Grizzly bears down here

Just Dropbears

Congratulations on your lack of Grizzly bears! Good work Sir!

As for the "drop bears," well they aren't dead bears, so they aren't good bears. I advise to walk barrel up, loaded, safety on in drop bear country. (My pet python dropped on me off a door frame once; i was glad it was the bathroom door frame.)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.